Omega vs DIY

SET Man

Re: Omega vs DIY
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:17 am »
Hey!

A little late on this. I have not heard any current Omega speakers so I can't say how they sound. I have to say those Omega look gorgeous though.

But as for Omega vs DIY. That's a tough one. For those with facility to build and willing to spend hours, days, months and longer... pulling your hair out tuning the sound then go for it! But the end result can be worth it, you are tuning your speaker to your own room and amp.

Correct me if I'm wrong here... all Omega are ported. With single driver wide range driver, if you're going to build cabs yourself you can try other loading like back loaded horn and etc. I built my Single Driver based on TQWT with Fostex 6" FE167E and I find the bass is more tuneful, with larger sense of scale and with better definition than most ported speaker I've over the years.

Anyway, if I were not a DIYer and looking for Single Driver I think I'd have put Omega speaker on the list to audition. OK, back to enjoy music on my now 19 years old crappy looking Single Speakers.

Buddy 

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:26 am »
Omega's QTS may not work with some of those configs.

SET Man

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:45 am »
Omega's QTS may not work with some of those configs.

Hey!

Good point. I don't know Omega spec. For DIYers there are other drivers out there to experiment. There are a few drivers out there that I would love to try... maybe some day.

Buddy

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jul 2021, 02:03 am »
I strongly suwspect that would not be an issue.

If it works (well) vented it is rare when a horn cannot be designed.

dave