Loud volume and room interaction

Bumpy

Loud volume and room interaction
« on: 10 Aug 2020, 03:29 pm »
I have OB midrange drivers. If I turn the volume up high the sound becomes congested, and frankly not very nice. If this likely to be a room or equipment issue?

Les Lammers

Re: Loud volume and room interaction
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2020, 12:36 pm »
I have OB midrange drivers. If I turn the volume up high the sound becomes congested, and frankly not very nice. If this likely to be a room or equipment issue?

I have the same issue. It's probably the room. My room is awful. https://piaudiogroup.com/ has some room treatment panels that they say are for open baffles. I am going to call them and will post again.

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2020, 01:07 pm »

It's the interaction between room and speaker generated sound pressure. From what I have read about room acoustics, all rooms have a maximum volume threshold beyond which all the negatives you note become apparent. Properly implemented acoustic treatments ameliorate the issues but a room needs to be purpose built for listening to reduce the issues as much as possible.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2020, 01:30 pm »
You say it's coming from the midrange drivers, are you sure it's coming from the drivers (both)?  Are they loose?  Or are they damaged? 

Perhaps you've found something that's resonating in the room (resonances don't have to be at the same frequency as what is exciting the offending object). 

Could be you're over driving the speakers/amp or overloading your ears.  How loud are you listening?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2020, 02:24 pm »

Could be you're over driving the speakers/amp or overloading your ears.  How loud are you listening?

See bumpy's post here (reply 5):

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171804.msg1817857#msg1817857

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:23 pm »
Yes, some rather important info is missing in this thread. Are Bumpy's issues now happening with the 30 watt amp or are we still talking about a 1.8 watt amp?