Bryston Manic Moose Interface

bokko

Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #240 on: 27 Oct 2021, 10:39 pm »
Back to adapter Willy P was asking about it charges through the lightning port. The type A port is for signal for DAC only. At least I tried my headphone Dac nano iDSD Black Label and would not charge with it off type A port.
Moved it back to USB iDefender (powered by LPS) which powers the nano as well as cleaning up signal and light turned blue indicating it was charging. Not changing any dials or buttons in moving back over. Monolith 6' USB cord used.
I was also able to run a 15' Type a to type b cable (premium) back to seating position doing lossless audio on iPad and worked, often USB can be limited to 6'. The lightning port was being fed by 2.1amp iPad charger

WillyP

« Reply #241 on: 28 Oct 2021, 06:23 pm »
Thanks for all messages, guys. Much appreciated.

My plans have changed a bit. My iPad Air 2 has a Lightning port and is almost eight years old. My next iPad will have a USB-C port, so a USB B/C cable is a better investment for me and a more elegant solution. I could try a cheap one to test the connection. If everything works, I might consider buying a better (?) cable from Audioquest, for example.

WillyP

bokko

« Reply #242 on: 28 Oct 2021, 08:40 pm »
Thats where Bryston might need to check the power loading on the ports of devices. back in the day it was 500ma, draw on USB 2 sometimes 1amp on special ports.
With USB C can be up to 20 watts for the iPad Air 4 thats a big load for a Type a or Type B port...would be looking for a USB C version of pictured adapter.

Over to Bryston

WillyP

« Reply #243 on: 28 Oct 2021, 08:53 pm »
James has an iPad Pro…

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #244 on: 28 Oct 2021, 09:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

I do not charge my Ipad through the port I use a stand that charges the ipad while it sits on the stand.

bokko

« Reply #245 on: 28 Oct 2021, 10:52 pm »
 :icon_twisted:

« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 09:50 pm by bokko »

WillyP

« Reply #246 on: 29 Oct 2021, 07:27 am »
Hi Folks,

I do not charge my Ipad through the port I use a stand that charges the ipad while it sits on the stand.

It seems that James has an iPad Pro with a Lightning port. I am looking for a solution now for an iPad with a USB-C port. I have a Loconaq A1 DAC (based on an AK 4493 chip) with that port in use for my headphones. It is possible to connect the DAC to my SP3 with the right adapter. Probably good enough for Spotify but also for Apple Music? I doubt it.

WillyP

bokko

« Reply #247 on: 29 Oct 2021, 11:11 am »
 :icon_twisted:
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 09:49 pm by bokko »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #248 on: 29 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm »
Hi Folks,

Remember that one of the main advantages to using the USB input on the Bryston BDA-3 DAC is USB is resampled and reclocked at the input. 

Also USB data is sent in 'packets' to a ' digital reservoir' (think of it like a holding tank) and released as the DAC requires.  So a lot of the issues with constant streaming interfaces are not an issue from a fidelity performance standpoint.

best
james

mr_bill

« Reply #249 on: 30 Oct 2021, 04:43 pm »
AudioQuest makes a C to B cable as well.

I think they also make a USB to lightning cable - I wonder if that would work on iPads that don’t have the USB C connector and then not have to use CCK?

jobiwon

« Reply #250 on: 1 Nov 2021, 02:06 pm »

I think they also make a USB to lightning cable - I wonder if that would work on iPads that don’t have the USB C connector and then not have to use CCK?

I would be surprised by this.  As I understand it the Lightning port is proprietary technology and requires the Apple Camera adapter for any digital output.  Correctisize me if I am wrong.  :scratch:

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #251 on: 1 Nov 2021, 03:47 pm »
I would be surprised by this.  As I understand it the Lightning port is proprietary technology and requires the Apple Camera adapter for any digital output.  Correctisize me if I am wrong.  :scratch:

It absolutely is proprietary and the chips are prone to failure after a very short time if they work at all. My brand new “Amazon Basics” lightning cable can’t even be used to reliably charge my iphone. I also bought a third party lightning extension cable (Male-Female) and it doesn’t work. Best to stick with “genuine Apple” cable or the adapter + standard USB cable of your choice. No way I would invest big bucks in an “audiophile” lightning cable even if they did make one.

vonnie123

« Reply #252 on: 4 Dec 2021, 03:55 am »
Can anyone offer the correct Syntax for entering a Synology NAS to the Bryston NAS settings?  My attempts to load the NAS music folders keep getting rejected. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #253 on: 7 Dec 2021, 09:31 pm »
Can anyone offer the correct Syntax for entering a Synology NAS to the Bryston NAS settings?  My attempts to load the NAS music folders keep getting rejected.

Could be your synology is enforcing a minimum SMB version support and sadly we've been quite tardy in this department and still only offer SMB1 support, good news is synology allows you to change this.

You can also try entering the settings manually, but suspect you'll need to do the aforementioned first.
Device Name: this isn't critical, its just a name
IP Address: the ip address of the synology, you can also try using the devices broadcast name (may or may not work)
Username: leave empty if anonymous, but sometimes it helps to create a dedicated account for the BDP
Password: well the users password
Share Name: the name of the share your music exists on

Chris

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #254 on: 8 Dec 2021, 06:44 pm »

vonnie123

« Reply #255 on: 10 Dec 2021, 10:23 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a try.

vonnie123

« Reply #256 on: 10 Dec 2021, 11:15 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a try.

No luck I'm afraid.  Maybe I'll have better luck when the firmware is updated for the newer SMB2.  Again thank you.

mr_bill

« Reply #257 on: 11 Dec 2021, 09:59 pm »
Any updates on a Manic Moose/software upgrade or change coming?

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #258 on: 13 Dec 2021, 12:51 pm »

rcarlbe

« Reply #259 on: 25 Dec 2021, 06:13 pm »
Is there any sound quality advantage streaming with MM instead of a PC with Roon? Both connected to BR-20 with Ethernet.