Bryston Manic Moose Interface

jobiwon

Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #200 on: 29 Sep 2021, 08:33 pm »
What or where is the glitch?

Player says yellow jackets,  Album art and playlist say Tool.

gbaby

« Reply #201 on: 30 Sep 2021, 01:50 pm »
Player says yellow jackets,  Album art and playlist say Tool.

I have the BDP3. When I import music, I can put any cover art I desire for an album. But, common sense would make one want to put the cover art for the album on the display. What was the source of the music? It could be a problem with he source. Nothing major though.

jobiwon

« Reply #202 on: 30 Sep 2021, 04:36 pm »
Sorry, I don't know how/where to check that.

from Spotify support site:

Supported file types

Note: Some of your files may be protected in restricted formats. Install QuickTime on your computer to allow most of these tracks to be played on Spotify.

.mp3
    .m4p (unless it contains video)
    .mp4 (if QuickTime is installed on your computer)

The iTunes lossless format (M4A) is not supported.

If your file isn’t supported, we do our best to match it with songs from the Spotify catalog. The version we match with might differ from the original.

arloparanhos

« Reply #203 on: 5 Oct 2021, 04:03 pm »
Just jumping in here.  Lots of good discussion in this thread.

I've been using a BR-20 as my DAC & Pre.  Sound is GAME CHANGING.
I tried MM for a few weeks, but find the Bluesound interface much faster and easier to use from my phone.  Phone app controls a Bluesound Node which happily delivers Qobuz up to 24/192 to the BR-20.  For some services Bluesound doesn't support as well, Spotify + archived radio programs on Soundcloud or Mixcloud, a Sonos Port delivers those to the BR-20.  Sonos controller app on phone, ipad is excellent though Port streaming caps out at 24/48. Again, being able to select the audio content from local, streaming, etc. from my phone then leverage the BR-20 as DAC and Pre has fantastic.  This config also allows me to play same music in my other 7 home music zones.  Also allows me to play those same albums while in the car, plane, vacation, etc.  Qobuz supports download and offline playing up to 24/192.  Use the lightning to _____ connector to avoid bluetooth in the signal path when outside the home...

Hope that is helpful to someone trying to cover all their use cases with highest possible sound quality.

mr_bill

« Reply #204 on: 7 Oct 2021, 12:30 am »
James, any updates on what is replacing Manic Moose and when? (If I have my facts straight)
The advent of Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect and Apple Music are changing the plans.
I personally still like Pandora too and nice to use a radio option too like IHeart.

mr_bill

« Reply #205 on: 7 Oct 2021, 12:33 am »
HI

I think the landscape changed when the giants (Apple Music, Amazon HD, Spotify-soon)  started offering High-Resolution (CD quality and above) on their streaming services.

I have playlist at home where I have the Qobuz version of a song and then the CD ripped version and then the downloaded version and every time I do a demo for someone it is a 50/50 split as to which is which.

When we introduced the BDP type products years ago it was the only way to get quality audio and all libraries were 'local". Steaming services offered compressed 320 at best. Now unless you have a huge library most of the streaming services allow you to make playlists and download albums or songs.

That being said the quality of the player still matters - how you handle the streaming side of things , the power supply quality, the analog section, the DAC performance etc. still matters. So products like Bryston that offer superb performance with a front end streamer I think will be the direction in the future.

One question I have is where do we think this leaves smaller players like Qobuz and Tidal, and so DSD and MQA go away as well?  Maybe even ROON but I still think a lot of people will still want a quality library and a way to manage it going forward.

I think you are right on the money here.

whanafi

« Reply #206 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:53 pm »
To be honest I was thinking about removing support for the client in nutty narwhal let alone adding the server aspect to it and hadn't realized the software was still being maintained.  I can't promise it'll make it in to the firmware, but will certainly investigate it, thanks for bringing it up.

Chris

Chris, I bought the BDP-1 with the promise that it would support LMS and it has done so nicely.  I use iPeng as the client and it sees the BDP-1 as a player along with my other Squeezeboxes.   PLEASE do NOT drop support for LMS.  All of the comments about the native interface are solved by having a mature and supported music server running on a NAS with a mature and supported music client.  That relieves the pressure you get from people pulling in opposite directions.  Don't fight the war, just be neutral and let the equipment do what it is good at.  To be clear, I mean there are any number of streaming and standard library organizing systems out there.  To me, it makes sense to support standards rather than trying to duplicate them.  LMS lives, it works well for those of us with physical collecitons while those who stream need support for their chosen services.  Think of it as concentrating on the API instead of the whole program.

mr_bill

« Reply #207 on: 10 Oct 2021, 05:36 pm »
I like LMS and Ipeng too.
Can LMS be used on BR20 instead of manic moose?

mr_bill

« Reply #208 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:15 pm »
Hi Tim

But what I was thinking is that the software available from the streaming companies will supplant the need for sophisticated software from hardware companies.

For example I use Qobuz and Apple Music now for most of my listening.  I save the albums and songs I like to playlists within the specific apps and therefor no need for stored libraries.  The only issue I can see is if your network goes down having dedicated stored music on a NAS etc. would be beneficial.

The Apple Music app is light years ahead of most hardware companies software.

best
james

James, how do use Tidal (or qobuz) or Apple Music with a BR20 and a phone app for control?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #209 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:19 pm »
Hi

Tidal and Qobuz are available as a link through Manic Moose.

Apple Music and Spotify and Amazon HD you can get on your IPAD or Iphone and stream to the BR20 using Shareport in MM or connect to the USB input on the BR20 using an adapter.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #210 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:32 pm »
The USB connection must be with the CCK? (Camera connection kit)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #211 on: 10 Oct 2021, 11:26 pm »
The USB connection must be with the CCK? (Camera connection kit)

Correct - see my Newsletter.

james

jobiwon

« Reply #212 on: 11 Oct 2021, 04:43 pm »
So will MM be getting interfaces to more services than Tidal and Qobuz that offer higher resolution?  (e.g The Amazons, Deezer etc).  Or direct me to link where previously discussed.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #213 on: 11 Oct 2021, 05:52 pm »
So will MM be getting interfaces to more services than Tidal and Qobuz that offer higher resolution?  (e.g The Amazons, Deezer etc).  Or direct me to link where previously discussed.

Hi - not sure about Deezer but the way I see it we will allow the APPS from all the services to be played on our products.  Some using our software and some using the App of the music supplier.

james

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #214 on: 11 Oct 2021, 06:34 pm »
I believe Amazon Music's first party apps that support casting require a device with one of Alexa, Google Cast, or AirPlay integration. So AirPlay will work for you. I think Deezer is the same but I'm not as sure.

mr_bill

« Reply #215 on: 11 Oct 2021, 08:21 pm »
Hi - not sure about Deezer but the way I see it we will allow the APPS from all the services to be played on our products.  Some using our software and some using the App of the music supplier.

james

This is a good plan.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #216 on: 13 Oct 2021, 04:56 am »
This is a good plan.

No, I think when James says using the App of the music supplier that means casting or Airplay, not the coveted Bryston player that is the subject of this thread.

mr_bill

« Reply #217 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:41 pm »
.......as long as it doesn't affect the listening quality, I'm fine - probably be easier

jobiwon

« Reply #218 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:50 pm »
No, I think when James says using the App of the music supplier that means casting or Airplay, not the coveted Bryston player that is the subject of this thread.

That's what I envisioned.  But actually sending the stream from the Service App to the BDP, like an endpoint.  James is that correct?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #219 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes Apple Music and Amazon HD etc. have their own apps so I assumed most would just use Airplay or a wired connection from their phone or IPAD directly.

james