Vinyl is now outselling CD's!

charmerci

Vinyl is now outselling CD's!
« on: 20 Apr 2024, 02:18 pm »

Who'd a thunk it?

https://wapo.st/4cXQ83s

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Vinyl is now outselling CD's!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2024, 02:40 pm »
Thanks for the link, that was really interesting.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2024, 03:09 pm »
Vinyl ressurection is about press marketing and fashion its cool to millenials have afew LPs on the shelf to impress friends. I Iove LPs just for the big cover, its a wonderful graphic experience, I never will listen them I no even have a TT.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2024, 03:17 pm »
I sold my records years ago and have no intention of going back. For years, instead of buying records, I bought CDs. After ripping my 1700 CDs, I started streaming via Qobuz, which I love. Ok, so now I buy a CD every so often as a way to support new artists. But I don't buy anywhere near as many CDs as I used to.

I'm not claiming one is superior to the other, it's not worth arguing over. But if it weren't for streaming, I believe CDs would still be the top selling media.

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2024, 05:43 pm »
Vinyl is not out selling CD, not physically anyway. What they print is misleading.
For physical units sold, CD sells more units.
They are misleading people with revenue.
Take your average CD in the UK it’s selling for £10 and your average LP is selling for £30.

Can you now see what they are doing?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2024, 08:35 pm »
Who'd a thunk it?

https://wapo.st/4cXQ83sas
Yes, there is a resurgence of interest in vinyl, but there has also been a collapse of owning physical media in general.  CD sales have crashed  as vinyl sales have picked up. 

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2024, 01:30 am »
Who'd a thunk it?

https://wapo.st/4cXQ83s

Hey!

If I remembered correctly vinyl also outsell CDs in 2023 also.

Funny that I got into vinyl back in the '90s when CD started to take over vinyl and I've never left since. Yes, it is pretty fueled by mostly younger people who many are more of a collector than actually care about the sound virtue of the medium itself.

Well, nowadays almost every artists released their music on vinyl and this is a good news for me as for someone who prefer vinyl over CD. How long will this last? I don't know... maybe the youngsters will turn to collecting CDs next? Or maybe 8-Tracks?

By the way, today's was Record Store Day (RSD) I didn't go out to the record store though... I'm sure I missed some interesting albums that will likely turn up on eBay for three times the original price :roll: