TD 145 vs Technics SL1200 MK II vs Rega P2

Zuman

Re: TD 145 vs Technics SL1200 MK II vs Rega P2
« Reply #20 on: 2 Apr 2024, 01:15 pm »
Five years ago I had a Rega P1, then modified it with a P3 platter and upgraded subplatter. Two years ago I bought a Rega P6. A month ago I bought a Clearaudio Performance DC.  Each of the turntables sounded different, even with the same cartridge (the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood which received a rave review from Stereophile back in 2002).
I agree that changes in cartridge made the biggest difference (my progress was from the Rega Carbon to the Nagaoka MP-110 to the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood, to the Hana ML), and there's no denying that different phono stages sound different, but the tables themselves also have very different sound characteristics. I definitely agree with those who say that it's a good idea to make a decision based on listening experiences if you can.
Many people have found this video enlightening, in which vinyl guru Michael Fremer demonstrates the differences in the sound of two extremely high-end turntables, using the same tonearm, cartridge, and phono stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdLbWQFdsPg .

twitch54

« Reply #21 on: 2 Apr 2024, 09:17 pm »
I have a Thorens TD145 and a Technics SL1200 MK II. I took the TD 145 in to have the "auto lift" adjusted. The person doing the work had a few NIB Rega P1s & P2s for sale. He suggested the Rega P2 is substantially better than either of the TTs I have. He is willing to sell me a P2 for < $500.

My TD145 has an older Grado cartridge. The SL1200 has a Stanton cartridge. The Rega has whatever cartridge comes standard on the unit.

• Is he correct in his assertion regarding the quality of the P2?
  • Should I sell one or the other of my TTs and buy the Rega?
  • Should I just get a newer cartridge for one of my existing TTs?
  • If I keep one, should I keep the Technics, or Thorens?

I listen to vinyl infrequently.

your last sentence speaks volumes, keep what you have, upgrade cart perhaps the 'less than $500' spent on the P2 would be be better put towards the new cartridge ........

aceinc

« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2024, 01:32 am »
TD145 is a cheaper TD160. Changed teh arms on at least 100 of the 150/160/165/145.

The P2 is new, with the Rega Arm?

AFAIC you can leabve the DD to the guys that use them for making music,

My ancient Planar 2 (with a Linn Basik arm) will smoke the THorens and the Technics.

I have a second Planar 2 and a Technics 1200 arm i might marry.

Will the dealer lend you the Rega for the WE or do at least a basik comparison in his shop for you?

dave
The Rega P2 is new in the box. I have not heard them, as he was a dealer, closed his shop and is doing repairs out of his home. He has left over P1s & P2s.

aceinc

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2024, 01:38 am »

your last sentence speaks volumes, keep what you have, upgrade cart perhaps the 'less than $500' spent on the P2 would be be better put towards the new cartridge ........
I quite agree, regarding speaking volumes. Which is why I included it.

However it seems to me I could sell the SL1200 and/or the TD 145 and have enough money to buy the P2, if it truly is better (objectively speaking).

One reason I seek advice is I am not certain I could judge the merits based on a listening session, so I thought other folks opinions, if there was a consensus, might help. So far not so much.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2024, 01:45 am »
One reason I seek advice is I am not certain I could judge the merits based on a listening session, so I thought other folks opinions, if there was a consensus, might help. So far not so much.
In my experience since the 1970s if you cant listen a better sound in a hour session there is NO need to listen more, in my listening sessions in top systems from friends a better sound quality are apparent in a few minutes or seconds.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2024, 02:56 am by FullRangeMan »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2024, 02:24 am »

However it seems to me I could sell the SL1200 and/or the TD 145 and have enough money to buy the P2, if it truly is better (objectively speaking).

Go for the P3 instead of the P2 or give a look at Pro-Ject TT's.

You should be able to tell a difference within 30 seconds of listening to a system if it is better.  In my system I can usually tell in the first few notes.

aceinc

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2024, 02:57 am »
In my experience since the 1970s if you cant listen a better sound in a hour session there is need to listen more, in my listening sessions in top systems from friends a better sound quality are apparent in a few minutes or seconds.

First I hate listening @ dealers. A waste of time in my opinion.

Here is my real life experience with two systems I currently have and why I say I may not be able to determine which is better.

One system is a vintage 200 W McIntosh stack driving a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IIIs in an 11'x15' room.

The other is Marantz AV 7704 with Emotiva XPA 1s driving Magnepan 2.7 QRs in a 25'x15' room with a 5 subwoofer array.

Both rooms have similar RT60 scores. The source for both are WIIM Pros (optical to the Marantz, analog to the C32).

Playing HiRes files off Tidal synchronized (both systems playing the same cuts at the same time). When I go from room to room and sit in the sweet spot, I hear differences, the Maggies are clearer and more complete sounding, the CW IIIs are more dynamic. For most music I prefer the Maggies, but not all music.

So, will I hear a clear & distinct winner between two TTs? I am not sure. Will one sound better with one type music or recording and the other with another?

Am I the only one who has this dilemma?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2024, 03:50 am »
So, will I hear a clear & distinct winner between two TTs?
IMO you dont, his performances are very similar and yet SQ is a matter of hearing and personal taste, but certainly the seller will listen wonders.

toocool4

« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2024, 07:42 pm »

There will be no consensus as everyone has personal tastes, besides consensus is a bad way to choose anything that is personal to you.
Save your money and stick to what you already have, your wallet will thank you for it. :wink:

twitch54

« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2024, 08:24 pm »

go back an re-read your last sentence (again), pour yourself a nice cocktail, sit back and relax and no the P2 makes little to no sense ...........

Rocket

« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2024, 06:42 am »
Hi,

Your never going to get full consensus as we all having differing experiences and preferences. You advised that you got the Technics sl1200 MkII from a dumpster if its in good condition its certainly worth having it serviced.  An entry level Nagaoka MP100 or an Ortofon 2M red would sound great would work great on the Technics or Thorens TD145 turntables.  Also it was recommended that you may wish to put more money into a phono stage.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #31 on: 4 Apr 2024, 09:26 am »
Hi,

You're never going to get full consensus as we all having differing experiences and preferences. You advised that you got the Technics sl1200 MkII from a dumpster if its in good condition its certainly worth having it serviced.  An entry level Nagaoka MP100 or an Ortofon 2M red would sound great would work great on the Technics or Thorens TD145 turntables.  Also it was recommended that you may wish to put more money into a phono stage.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 4 Apr 2024, 05:42 pm »
Somewhere this thread it has been recommended to upgrade the cartridge and the phono pre rather than the turntables. 
This gets my vote. 

VinceT

« Reply #33 on: 5 Apr 2024, 12:36 am »
There is youtube video with someone with a KAB mod technics mk2 versus a 10k table(forgot the manufacturer) using the same cart the sound was virtually identical. When I get some time I'll check around see if I can find it. You don't have to go all out, get a decnt cart and used phono pre within your budget and you will be in business. I had a mk2 with a denon dl160 into an old marantz and 200.00 ADS speakers and had a lot of fun with that set up. Sounded great for not a lot of money.