Ack! dAck! vs. EA Perpetual Technologies P3-A

davejcb

« Reply #40 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:42 pm »
I haven't opened mine yet, what are they, the 3.3uF Auricaps?

davejcb

« Reply #41 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:44 pm »
And why the hell isn't anyone buying that EA P3-A for sale? IF I had the cash lying around I'd give that a try too...

vfrpilot

"voicing"
« Reply #42 on: 20 Jul 2004, 04:15 pm »
Yeah I think he changed the cap value from 2.2 to 3.4 or something like that to increase the bass output.

As for the "voicing" with a particular cap and interconnect.... How do I know what their hearing is like? Where are their frequency deficits in the sound spectrum? Who is to say that their ideal sound is also mine?

Others have found using different caps are appropriate to creating a different "voicing". Why would the manufacturers "voicing" be more correct than the person purchasing and ultimately living with the product?

Just curious,

dvb

« Reply #43 on: 20 Jul 2004, 09:02 pm »
You are right that there is nothing sacred or absolute about the "ear" or voicing of the manufacturer.  Theoretically, anyone should be able to tune a piece of gear to their own liking.

Instead, we tend to buy different pieces from different manufacturers until we find one whose "ear" matches our "ear".   To some extent, we are always paying for the "ear" of a particular manufacturer, and we risk losing that when we mod.    

Chris has tried to emulate the sound of a good MC phono cartridge, to get a very analogue sound.  We are paying for his "ear" and experience in achieving that end.

mcrespo71

« Reply #44 on: 20 Jul 2004, 09:32 pm »
As for the "voicing" with a particular cap and interconnect.... How do I know what their hearing is like? Where are their frequency deficits in the sound spectrum? Who is to say that their ideal sound is also mine?

You can say that about any product.  If you really believe this, then I assume you go DIY all the way.

Michael

vfrpilot

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jul 2004, 01:14 am »
You can say that about any product.  If you really believe this, then I assume you go DIY all the way.

No, I am not DIY all the way but these questions do keep me from saying things like "... it makes no sense to change them, as Chris chose the best caps for the dAck. "

I have listened to the Ack at home and really loved the way it sounded. I was not in a position to purchase the DAC at the time but if I do get one, I will probably try changing out the caps to see if I like it voiced differently.

mcrespo71

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jul 2004, 01:42 am »
"... it makes no sense to change them, as Chris chose the best caps for the dAck. "

Chris changed the caps after a bunch of people were swapping out the original caps with sonicaps wanting more extension.  He apparently listened to numerous caps before deciding that the larger auricaps were the best sounding with his dac.  He has numerous transports/cd players and speakers to test the dac out on.  If you like the sound, then why screw with it is my motto.  I have way too much music to listen to than dick around with tweaks endlessly.  I've been down that road and most of the time the changes were just different not better.  

Michael