Powered Speakers For TV Use

AllanS

Powered Speakers For TV Use
« on: 15 Jan 2023, 08:57 pm »
I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but any thoughts on where to go looking or recommendations for small powered speakers for use with a TV? Optical or single ended input. Space is constrained to 5.5" wide.

There are a couple of computer audio speaker options but my concern is anything designed for computer / near field monitors might not be suitable for TV viewing from 8-10' away.

Thank you.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Powered Speakers For TV Use
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2023, 11:22 pm »
I bought a pair of Kanto Yu4 speakers for my wife a couple years ago. We both like them. They're excellent for computer and TV. The cabinets just happen to be 5.5" wide. Bear in mind, they play down to 60Hz, so you might wish to add a sub.

https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/yu4/

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2023, 12:35 am »
I don't think the label of computer speaker or near field monitor matters. I would go for a speaker with the maximum size woofer that will fit in a 5.5" wide cabinet. I think it will be a 4" woofer. If you have room for one, a subwoofer should help immensely.

If you can squeeze in another .25" in width, consider the Klipsch R-41PM.

artur9

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2023, 02:12 am »
I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but any thoughts on where to go looking or recommendations for small powered speakers for use with a TV? Optical or single ended input. Space is constrained to 5.5" wide.

Thank you.
Budget?  Personally I've used Cambridge Audio Minx 21 happily (only good down to 120Hz, though).  I was thinking Piega Ace 30 line (5.6") (pricey).  I have some unpowered T+A TLW that are great for the space constrained...

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2023, 06:13 am »
Many thanks all.  I appreciate your recommendations.

I boneheaded it by not including budget.  I’m shopping for one of the kids so looking in the neighborhood of $200.

That said the Klipsch R41PM can be had from that behemoth e retailer for a price that’s around the corner from the neighborhood but still really attractive.

For compact passives I really like the Cambridge Audio Min 22 and 12 paired with a sub.  My daughter has 3 of the 22 across her HT front and a pair of 12 rears.  They sound surprising good for their size.

The Kanto would be an excellent choice but too far a reach.  But the YU2 with an RCA to mini jack adapter might work well.

Thanks again.