Widescreen disc won't play widescreen

Karnaaj

« on: 25 Jul 2004, 02:24 pm »
I recently purchased Castaway in the widescreen version.  When I tried to watch it last night it was playing in full screen.  I rented a dvd a couple of months ago (can't remember title) which did the same thing. My player is a sony DVP-NS755V.  Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2004, 05:38 pm »
Do you have the DVDP setup right? It needs to be set to 4:3 WS or 16:9 WS depending upon which type of display you have.

Cast Away is flat (1.85:1), so if you have a 4:3 display, and have the DVDP set to 16:9, it'll look like it's playing in FS, but everything will be stretched vertically.

So it might be the player is set to the wrong type of output for whatever display you have. Or you might've gotten a FS disc in a WS package. Have you tried the disc in a different player/setup?

Karnaaj

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2004, 06:34 pm »
I will take your suggestion Bubba and check it out.  Maybe you could answer this question.  Why would all my other widescreen discs play correctly?  Is there some discs that the player can recognize correctly and some not?  Thanks for your reply. :)

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2004, 06:53 pm »
If you've been playing discs that are 2.35:1 with your player set to output to a 16:9 display and you're using a 4:3 display it will do the same thing. But running a 2.35:1 movie like that will be horizontally squshed (giving everything a vertically stretched look), yet will still have the appearance of being WS as you'll have very slight black bars on the screen.

There really shouldn't be a problem with the disc (unless the package was marked WS, and the disc inside wasn't). It might be the setup of the player.

Karnaaj

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2004, 06:53 pm »
Well Bubba, you hit the nail on the head.  I was not aware that you had to tell the player what kind of TV you had.  Mine was set to 16:9 when I have a 4:3 TV.  All is well once again.  Thanks. :D

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2004, 07:26 pm »
Glad you're running right now (set to WS on 4:3, not FS on 4:3 & not 16:9).

Figured that was the problem as most DVDP's are set to 16:9 sets from the factory. And most of us are still using 4:3 sets... :(