songtower or ht2tls

jg123

songtower or ht2tls
« on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:08 pm »
 i have sent jim a few emails and follow this forum almost daily. i will be ready to order within a couple of weeks.i had to order a new tv stand to replace the entertainment  to make room for the speakers.my room is 12x 17 and am using a yamaha rxv2700 and new yamaha cd player.my present speakers are orbs with a subwoofer that replaced a pair at cv at 12's that i had for 16 years. i feel that im missing something with the orbs and am going back to floor standing speakers. i listen to all music from manilow to metalica and got use to enjoying bass after having the cervins for so many years. i would like to order the ht2tls for the bass response but will not be able to have them too far off the rear wall which from what i have read they need . would i be better with the songtowers and song sub or just get the ht2tls. if songtowers are suggested then is it worth the 600$difference from the upgraded dome to the ribbon tweeter. will be mostly used for music but will be hooked up to the tv also at some point   thanks john

funkmonkey

Re: songtower or ht2tls
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2009, 06:19 pm »
Both the HT2-TL and the SongTowers use a very similar cabinet that uses a transmission line to extend the bass response deeper than would normally be possible with the drivers used.  Both speakers should have very similar flexibility and constraints when it comes to placement.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2009, 07:28 pm »
I'd order the least expensive ST's and put the difference to upgrading the electronics.

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2009, 09:03 pm »
There is no doubt that choosing between the STs and HT2-TLs is a very tough decision.  I chose the HT2-TLs, but I don't think I'd cry about owning the STs. 

That said, I am a BIG fan of ribbon tweeters now that I have the HT2-TLs.  I thought the tweeters in my B&W 805Ss were good; boy was I wrong!  While I'm certain the dome available in the standard ST are good, I can't imagine they sound nearly as good as the ribbons.  I have yet to hear a soft dome tweeter I could live with, I couldn't be more impressed with the ribbons used in both the ST-RT and the HT2-TL. 

Don't worry about placement of the either speaker.  I think this issue is overstated by owners.  My HT2-TLs don't seem to require much room at all and based on my in-room measurements, the FR doesn't seem to change much at all.  Speaker placement with either choice would most likely affect stage depth and imaging more than anything.  But as always, YMMV.

One thing that could differ between the two speakers is midbass performance.  My SVS PB13-Ultra never really impressed me with music until I had speakers with more capability from 80Hz to about 200Hz.  I have a large room, and I always felt my B&W 805Ss really didn't get the job done.  My HT2-TLs are fantastic in this range and I have no more issues in this regard.  I can't tell you if the STs would be similar or not, but if I had to guess, I'd say they'd get the job done.

Here is how I'd make the choice:

1.  Money:  if money isn't an issue, get the HT2-TLs.  Why not, right?

2.  Midrange:  I suspect the midrange performance is ever so little bit better on the HT2-TLs based upon the drivers used. 

3.  Subwoofer:  if you're not going to use a sub for music, I'd vote HT2-TLs.

4.  Upgraditis:  if you suffer from this affliction, do yourself a favor and get the "better" speaker:  HT2-TL.

For the record, I use a subwoofer for music with my HT2-TLs.  I tried for some time to not use it, but the bass just sounds better to me with the sub.  However, I could easily live without a sub for music with the HT2-TLs.

If it were me, the ONLY choices are the ST-RT or the HT2-TL.  I have to have the ribbons. 

Good luck with your choice.  It's a tough choice, but you can't really go wrong either way.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2009, 10:55 pm by TJHUB »

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2009, 06:15 am »
Getting any speaker away from boundaries is helpful...sealed speakers are a bit better, though.  Can you get the HT-2L front ported?  That helps some, as well.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2009, 06:18 am »
Hi,

1.  Money:  if money isn't an issue, get the HT2-TLs.  Why not, right?

2.  Midrange:  I suspect the midrange performance is ever so little bit better on the HT2-TLs based upon the drivers used.

3.  Subwoofer:  if you're not going to use a sub for music, I'd vote HT2-TLs.

4.  Upgraditis:  if you suffer from this affliction, do yourself a favor and get the "better" speaker:  HT2-TL.

Very good advice.  If you suffer from upgraditis you will want to upgrade to a pair of HT2's within a year or two.  If you have the money go for the ht2's.  Btw I have ht2 non tl and the bass is very good it goes down to 38hz and is cheaper than the tl version.

Regards

Rod

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2009, 07:30 pm »
Get the best you can afford!  Unfortunately the old saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply all that well in the A/V industry.  However, when it comes to Salk's products it certainly does, so no worries.

Oh, also be sure to not skimp on the front end gear.  ;)