IN SEARCH OF...... The D/A converter of our dreams!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Folks, it has been a LONG time since we focused on this topic, but a customer brought it up yesterday, and I'd like to hear what everyone has to say about it....

In our quest for audio grandeur, we have been looking for the "ultimate" preamp-skipper, a D/A converter with the following features:
- Wide sample rate range ---- at least to 96kHz
- Wide data width ---- at least to 24 bits, even though we know most converters drop LSBs
- Many input types ---- USB, TOSLINK, coax, AES/EBU, maybe even iPad/iPod/iPhone
- HIGH PERFORMANCE, especially DNR/SNR wise
- Under $2000 USD price ---- of course, we expect less features as the price lowers

- Output Level Control ---- preferably in the digital domain, before the converter (feel free to ask why)
- Balanced Outputs ---- unbalanced as well would be nice too

OK, we have mentioned Lavry, Benchmark, and Lucid (no longer manufactured), but we want to include model numbers, prices, particular specs, and more info here as a reference.  Anybody up to contributing?  Good, let's hear it.

Thanks, all in advance for the info.

Best Regards,
Tommy O

firedog

Re: IN SEARCH OF...... The D/A converter of our dreams!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:31 pm »
Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC has all the features you want plus more. $1695

Asynch USB; Firewire; SPDIF inputs; and plays DSD natively. Volume control (can be bypassed if desired); analogue input; optional upsampling (user selectable). Balanced and unbalanced outputs.

watercourse

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:39 pm »
Check out a used Bel Canto DAC3 - meets all your criteria and sounds better than the Benchmark, IME, using the AES/EBU and BNC connections.

The new battery implementation (VBS) takes it out of the specified price range, and actually, the specs are better on the old DAC3.

I'd also like to hear the Mytek... mmm, DSD :drool:

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm »
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2? Digging  mine.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2012, 12:16 am »
I've been shopping with a similar checklist.  Besides those mentioned, the Antelope Zodiac fits the bill:

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/zodiac-dac

The Zodiac+ has additional features, but comes in about $2500 new:

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Plus-Mastering-DAC

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2012, 06:54 pm »
Oops....  Forgot to mention that REMOTE CONTROL would be nice!

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2012, 07:06 pm »
What about the Empirical Audio stuff here on AC? Those dacs look killer. Pretty much all that guy does.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2012, 11:03 pm »
Older thread "Berekely Audio DAC (I mean D/A)":
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103577.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm »
NAD M51- $1995.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/M51-Direct-Digital-DAC

From their site:
"35-bit architecture allows for a DSP-based volume control that does not reduce resolution"

Now THATS what I'm talking about!!!!

-Tommy O

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm »
Lindemann USB DAC 24/192 $1100

Review

A colleague of mine whose views I respect had compared it to his uber tweaked and designed ESS 9018 dac (Buffalo II with all the flowery shunt regulators) & passive analog output stage consisting of Lundahl output transformers. He preferred the Lindemann just a little more.

FWIW,

Anand.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2012, 02:10 am »
- Output Level Control ---- preferably in the digital domain, before the converter (feel free to ask why)

Why?

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2012, 03:23 am »

I like mine very much, enough that I bought a second for my system at work. :)

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2012, 03:55 am »
I like mine very much, enough that I bought a second for my system at work. :)

I see that the Dac is using the Xmos drivers. Those Dacs are usually better.

john dozier

« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2012, 06:53 pm »
Anedio D2 (if they ever become available again as they sell out as fast as they can make them)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:34 pm »
Why?
I want to open this discussion again and realized this question wasn't answered....

Digital attenuation can be done with perfect accuracy and D/As with true 22+ effective bits, and SNR around 120dB, provide sufficient resolution even under heavy attenuation.  For example, even at 1/16 full scale (-24dB), you still have 18 effective bits left.

Any new product fitting the bill?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:44 pm »
I want to open this discussion again and realized this question wasn't answered....

Digital attenuation can be done with perfect accuracy and D/As with true 22+ effective bits, and SNR around 120dB, provide sufficient resolution even under heavy attenuation.  For example, even at 1/16 full scale (-24dB), you still have 18 effective bits left.

Any new product fitting the bill?

AmpDesigner,

Could you repeat what you typed except in layman's terms? I'm afraid I do not understand.  :oops: :?

watercourse

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:15 pm »
I'm selling my Bel Canto DAC3 for under a grand ($985). The newer versions are more than twice the price.

Fits the bill perfectly for what you are looking for, SOTA sound, 24/192, 130dB dynamic range.

Interfaces seamlessly via USB to all the computers I've used it with. Volume control starts out with 24 bit depth at unity, and still has at least 16 bits usable per BCD. John Atkinson said it was the best measured DAC he'd encountered. Even has balanced outs, and I know from experience it works very well with Digital Amplifier Company products.

ltr317

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:44 pm »

Review

A colleague of mine whose views I respect had compared it to his uber tweaked and designed ESS 9018 dac (Buffalo II with all the flowery shunt regulators) & passive analog output stage consisting of Lundahl output transformers. He preferred the Lindemann just a little more.

FWIW,

Anand.

I like the Lindemann very much and thought it was the best sounding USB DAC up to the time of my review.  Unfortunately, Lindemann pulled the plug on the north american market shortly before my review was published.  Otherwise, I would have bought the review unit. 

Paul Mah

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:57 pm »
PS Audio has a VERY interesting DAC called the DirectStream coming soon. If I read correctly, it has the ability to convert ALL incoming signals to DSD! I'm willing to bet it sounds amazing.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/02/ps-audio-to-rescue-pcm-with-directstream-perfectwave-dac/

Meanwhile I'm pretty happy with my W4S DAC-2, which I plan to have upgraded at some point. Great piece in stock form though.