Airport

tasar

Airport
« on: 27 Oct 2014, 12:18 am »
Can the local airport network setup be saved upon shutdown ? Script ?

newzooreview

Re: Airport
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:06 am »
Can the local airport network setup be saved upon shutdown ? Script ?

I think I can help, but I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about shutting down your Mac or the Airport router? In either case, the network settings should remain after you restart.

tasar

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:25 am »
Soirry let me try and reword.... I do not use express. To use a remote app w a pad, I simply go to my mini's airport and setup a local network noting its assigned IP.... when I shut down the mini and restart, a new address gets assigned which requires changing such with app so they can talk... question, is there a method where the assigned address can be retained or saved when shutting down mini ?

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:29 am »
Soirry let me try and reword.... I do not use express. To use a remote app w a pad, I simply go to my mini's airport and setup a local network noting its assigned IP.... when I shut down the mini and restart, a new address gets assigned which requires changing such with app so they can talk... question, is there a method where the assigned address can be retained or saved when shutting down mini ?

I think I'm understanding. When you talk about your "mini's airport" are you talking about an Apple Airport router that your Mac Mini is connected to?

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:39 am »

If I understand correctly, you want your Mac Mini to always have the same address on your local network. This way, your iPad can always find it at the same address, and using your iPad as a remote control won't require so much effort when you restart your Mac Mini.

Usually this is done on the router. In this case I think you are saying that your router for the Mac Mini is an Apple Airport router.

This site might help. http://www.wesg.ca/2008/08/set-up-a-static-ip-with-an-airport-base-station/

It describes using the Airport Utility software to set an unchanging IP address for a Mac connected to the Apple Airport router. Airport Utility is in the Utilities folder of the Mac (Utilities is in the Applications folder).

This might accomplish what you're trying to do.

tasar

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:56 am »
Close, except I do not use a router and have no internet available so no need to own one. Merely using the Mini built in airport utility for LAN. I see if a router were used it might hold the IP, but have never found a way to make the Mini remember it.