Capacitor upgrade...

newguy52811

Re: Capacitor upgrade...
« Reply #40 on: 25 Feb 2015, 08:25 am »
Why was it a secret?

And you only mention this now?  You started out asking me if the Sonicap was bi-polar or non-polar.  Then you asked me if you should make all the cap values on the tweeters the same, or use a Yamaha EQ to straighten out the sound.  You finished by telling me that you just wanted to adjust the XO to sound more natural.  That would have been a great time to mention the rest.

Why would you buy them then?  No return them after you heard them?  I guess since you keep telling me all you were interested in was cheap and pretty, it is a win/win.  The fact that they sound bad is a distant third...

I find it odd that someone who can measure a speaker, and has good command of LspCAD would ever own, much less purchase, a set of these speakers :roll:  At best, he was working on them for someone else.  Otherwise, it would be like me purchasing a set.  I further suspect he selling his products or services.  Nothing wrong with that, but it does make his review a bit disingenuous.  BTW, congrats on the new home :)

My error in judgment on why I didn't tell you,
I didn't know I was talking with someone that was really experienced in this, didn't want to ramble on things to a person that I didn't know could interpret it. Thank you on the congrats on the new house. I'm a learning process. Can't wait to get the crossovers out, but will miss the late night smooth jazz listening. Will have to bust out my skull candy's. :)

newguy52811

« Reply #41 on: 26 Feb 2015, 08:29 pm »

Well... The Good news is, I got the Surround Sound Crossovers put, used a heat gun because I feel that I would have broke them if I didn't. I did get a little close to the circuit board by accident as I was trying to pry it from another angle while using it. I will take pictures of Front and back but am planning to send to you always so not sure if you want the pics... I'm hoping I will have enough time tomorrow to finish the fronts, if not Saturday and will ship there after.

newguy52811

« Reply #42 on: 6 Mar 2015, 06:40 pm »
Update: I have sent the crossovers to Jeff, just waiting for his response on what he is gonna do, and how much better it will sound.  :wink:

newguy52811

« Reply #43 on: 23 Mar 2015, 02:42 pm »

I wanted to bring you an update. I did get the crossovers back and installed. With a couple of complications on my part, I do have them installed. I absolutely love the sound. I do feel like I did blow a tweeter, and have a replacement coming on that, but it it was absolutely the best investment I have made so far, by far. I do feel they are a little bright, but am gonna wait the recommended 250 break in time for that. All in all, they sound a heck of a lot better than they did. They have the "Oomph" they never had before. I want to thank Jeff again for being so patient with me, as he is really a smart guy. He knows his stuff and that's why he is in what he is in. I will keep everyone updated after the 250 hour mark. :)

kentajalli

« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2015, 05:41 pm »
Wonderful!
Yes you just burn them in.
Actually the burning in is both on circuits/drives, and your ears!
You see with those flimsy previous components, you could not hear much detail in higher treble, now you are!
The first impression would be a "brighter sound" - but it will wear off (you get used to them).
Happy listening.
I still think he has done an over kill on these.
They look good enough to be inside a 10K pair.

newguy52811

« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2015, 06:17 pm »
Wonderful!
Yes you just burn them in.
Actually the burning in is both on circuits/drives, and your ears!
You see with those flimsy previous components, you could not hear much detail in higher treble, now you are!
The first impression would be a "brighter sound" - but it will wear off (you get used to them).
Happy listening.
I still think he has done an over kill on these.
They look good enough to be inside a 10K pair.

I'm not complaining... I'm a believer of caps. I've read a lot of hate against them, but when I put them in and installed BlackHole 5. Turned them into Swans!

newguy52811

« Reply #46 on: 4 May 2015, 09:49 pm »
Welll... I haven't had much time to post much as I've been busy with new house projects, but I believe they've hit the 250 mark. All I can say is that the imaging they have is pretty phenomenal. it's not something I'm use to, have them sound different and separate. Every time I listen to them, they seem to get better and better! I'm glad I got to talk with Jeff, I didn't know that $1000 speakers could sound way over in the thousands. I can compare them to mini actual theater speakers, cause that's pretty much what they are! I'll touch back in another month or so when I believe I hit the 500 hour mark. can't wait to hear them then.