Help with questions

Proto42

Help with questions
« on: 16 Jan 2014, 02:49 pm »
Hi everyone.

If this post would seem misplaced, shoot at will.

I'm preparing my own build after reading of something like 2000 pages on the NCores.
Still, some things remain unclear.

First one, pretty simple.
I want to power a pair of speaker. So 2 NCores. I will take the route of 2 SMPS, for many reasons including always having current in stock.
I have some limitations for the enclosure (I mean, in size) because of where I'm going to install the finalized amp.
I've seen one very interesting built there, with the two SMPS parallel with a 45 deg angle.
But I was also thinking of having two enclosures. One for the NCs, one for the SMPSs. Better EMI shielding I thought.
So the question: any advice on how to run the cables between the two boxes without any risk of cut (I know how to do holes, but how to protect the cables going through is something else)?

The next one is tricky. As many people, I have a RCA unbalanced source.
Yes, I can put XLR on the amp, and make my own XLR to RCA cables.
I've carefully studied Bruno's suggestions. And the published designs.
And what I don't get is the enclosure / earth / ground connexion or not.
I mean, I see many builds with earth connected to enclosure, to the 4th SMPS hole, to the XLR pin 1, and so also to XLR pin 3 (see Bruno's reco on building XLR > RCA cable) ...

So if anyone would have some good reco, or practice, or whatever help, it would be highly appreciated.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
Re: Help with questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2014, 10:12 am »
any advice on how to run the cables between the two boxes without any risk of cut (I know how to do holes, but how to protect the cables going through is something else)?

Rubber grommets would be one solution.

I see many builds with earth connected to enclosure, to the 4th SMPS hole, to the XLR pin 1, and so also to XLR pin 3 (see Bruno's reco on building XLR > RCA cable) ...

I see no reason not to follow the recommendation from Bruno - wire the amp end as a proper differential input, with XLR pins 2 and 3 carrying the signal and pin 1 connected to chassis, with earth connected to chassis too.