Walk-in tubs; any experience?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Walk-in tubs; any experience?
« on: 3 Aug 2018, 10:39 pm »
As I get younger and better looking, my wife is mysteriously aging.   She's got back troubles and is looking at a knee replacement this winter, and it's been many a year since she could use the $1,500 slipper tub that she forced asked me to buy in our last bathroom rehab.:banghead:  The good news is I double-joisted the floor last time...

Now she's talking about a walk-in tub.  i don't want to go the cheap route, but I'd really like to hear peoples' experiences and recommendations.  It'll be a DIY project (with a 32" door).

Post away, please!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Walk-in tubs; any experience?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm »
Not cheap, but cheaper than moving into an assisted living place.   :roll: 

From what little I've seen the cost is comparable to a multiple person hot tub.  Which works best for her condition depends.  Had a friend with severe arthritis who got a prescription for a hot tub!  We prepped for a hot tub 13 years ago when we built (installed electric, spout, and even added a "sub deck" to mount the hot tub to which is 2 feet below the main deck for optimal access).  But the dealer skipped town to escape the IRS and never ended putting it in, even thought wifey has had back surgery, fibromyalgia, and ambulation problems since.

If you install a walk-in tub keep the door unlatched when not in use as the seals becomes permanently compressed, leading to leaking, and then slips and falls.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2018, 12:07 am »
No direct experience but this article seems to be right on point.

http://homeability.com/a-walk-in-bathtub-your-biggest-mistake/

I like the idea of a slide in tub or a shower seat much better than a walk in tub.

http://www.aquassure.com/our-products/adl-slidein-bath/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2018, 10:58 am »
Great links Doublej!! 

I worked around nursing homes for 25 years and all the disadvantages of the walk-in tub listed are very true.  There is no cheap, easy, small solution to accessible bathing at home. 

Your best option for safely bathing at home may be the use of a ceiling mounted electric lift on a short track from outside to inside the tub like some hospitals and nursing homes use (check the structural capacity of the ceiling first).  She should be able to be to use it without assistance or wouldn't take up much space, but being naked older users can find it can be a scary experience (like a carnival ride).  Just hope the lights don't go off (you do have an automatic generator, right?) or the lift fails if bathing alone.

The roll in shower is a very good long term solution if you can give up on the idea of bathing.  One of my wheelchair bound respite clients has a large bathroom with handicap sink, toilet, and roll in shower that is open on two sides with grab bars for assisted showering - a very good solution for his needs.  Of course there are also low curbed pre-fabricated shower stalls with built-in handrails available and if needed a shower bench can be added.  That's what my folks did.