I am sick with Apple 's attitude

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: I am sick with Apple 's attitude
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jan 2022, 09:13 pm »
You're kidding right?  Did you just forget the sarcasm button?  If you unplug your TV does it still work?  Would you expect it to?
No kidding, the alarm will not ring, so Iam using a Bright Star Chinese $10 phone for alarm clock, it has never failed and even works when power off.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jan 2022, 02:26 am »
I don't think he meant literally off. Probably muted, or one of the sleep modes.

And yes, there are known issues with Android alarms not going off. Sometimes it's a funky setting that needs to be changed or software conflict or bug. For instance my partner's Samsung alarm won't go off if she has another app up.

You can put your phone in do not disturb and set it for your sleep times but the alarm will still work.  Thats what I do so I do not get texts or scam calls while I sleep.  I can set it to let contacts or favorites through.

rotarius

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jan 2022, 03:04 am »
Just got a new android phone last month and was complaining bitterly about it to my colleague who is a much younger engineer.  He pointed out the issue was not the phone or the software, it was my age.  :D
Get some kids to help you sort this stuff out so you can spend more time reminiscing about the "good old days" :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2022, 03:22 am »
This is a conformist speech.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 5 Jan 2022, 03:30 am »
This is a conformist speech.

You could always go back to a land line and ditch the cell phone completely.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 5 Jan 2022, 03:41 am »
Yes I have a land line too, its cheap and sound always better than a cell phone.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jan 2022, 04:00 am »
Yes I have a land line too, its cheap and sound always better than a cell phone.
Yabba Dabba Doo

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jan 2022, 04:35 am »
Just got a new android phone last month and was complaining bitterly about it to my colleague who is a much younger engineer.  He pointed out the issue was not the phone or the software, it was my age.  :D
Get some kids to help you sort this stuff out so you can spend more time reminiscing about the "good old days" :lol:

To be fair, you're talking about an engineer. Most kids just know how to install WhatsApp, they're no better at troubleshooting issues than we are.

All it takes is a quick google on most issues to find forums - including saavy tech ones - flooded with complaints. Google Pixel is notorious for their mysterious battery drain, Samsung for their redundant and bloated software, Apple for being Apple, etc. Personally I've found Motorola and LG to be relatively trouble free, and LG had excellent internal sound quality to boot (of course now they no longer make phones  :()

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 5 Jan 2022, 04:51 am »

Then why not get rid of the cell phone?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 5 Jan 2022, 11:22 am »
I would love so but it was a "gift" from my boss tô stay on hand for extra service...

AllynW

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jan 2022, 08:25 pm »
I'm in Phone hell!  I have an older iPhone 6, works great except for that battery issue. My battery won't keep a charge. Apple won't change it until its "Performance Rating" is below 85%, its been at 85% for two years.  Not to worry, we will be loosing 3g soon and my phone will be useless. Also with the loss of 3g, I lose my Range Extender/Repeater.  I live off grid in the mountains of central Nevada.  I tried Samsung Droid for 3 months, pretty big learning curve. Blue tooth connectivity was a hit or miss joke.  The Wife got the 12 and I got her old 6.  You know I really hate when Apple changed for being a Hardware Maker to a Media Company.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2022, 09:44 pm »
I learned Samsung not better than Apple in services. Best value are inexpensive Chinese phones, I have noted they seems dont have planed obsolecence as these others mentioned.

rotarius

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jan 2022, 09:54 pm »
Yeah, Chinese phones are fine if you don't mind the spyware.  As for the battery issue, Li batteries are good for a certain number of cycles,  limit of the technology, no matter which brand or country of origin.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2022, 11:21 pm »
Yeah, Chinese phones are fine if you don't mind the spyware.  As for the battery issue, Li batteries are good for a certain number of cycles,  limit of the technology, no matter which brand or country of origin.
Dont suggest iphones and samgungs are exempt, on the contrary they are nice only in the mass media, the iphones communicate with each other by proximity and the user surveillance is hidden but are always there, to make health worse in US the iphones are the largest emitters of radiation, besides being the most expensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLsUgZ39Eb0

newzooreview

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2022, 09:17 pm »
I'm in Phone hell!  I have an older iPhone 6, works great except for that battery issue. My battery won't keep a charge. Apple won't change it until its "Performance Rating" is below 85%, its been at 85% for two years.  Not to worry, we will be loosing 3g soon and my phone will be useless. Also with the loss of 3g, I lose my Range Extender/Repeater.  I live off grid in the mountains of central Nevada.  I tried Samsung Droid for 3 months, pretty big learning curve. Blue tooth connectivity was a hit or miss joke.  The Wife got the 12 and I got her old 6.  You know I really hate when Apple changed for being a Hardware Maker to a Media Company.

The iPhone 6 seems to have very good battery life if it is at 85% health on a 6-7 year old phone. It's not under any warranty from Apple at this point, so whenever you want to you could replace the battery fairly easily ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgmtNJuqEHI ), but it sounds like the phaseout of 3G by your phone company is the big challenge. It's not clear how any of these things relates to a failure or deficiency by Apple.  :scratch:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2022, 10:26 pm »
Since I started this whinefest, let me update my Apple plus situation.  Somehow I finally found a page that let me link to PayPal for payment and I now have Apple Plus and there has been no mysterious interference with my personal music collection.  Foundation is excellent and has me rereading the original books which I read as a teenager.  But a surprise to me is how much I like Ted Lasso.  So while it was a true pain to get signed up, I am satisfied with the selection they offer.

AllynW

« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2022, 12:17 am »
I'm done with Apple, I purchased a low cost Gateway Laptop and had Linux installed.  It's not really a Gateway, it's an Acer!  The gateway came with Windows 10 which was deleted and Ubuntu installed.  Ubuntu is not as smooth as Mac but within 24 hours I performing most of my daily task without issue.  I still researching Music Playback program now.