Blues music only.

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Blues music only.
« on: 4 Aug 2013, 04:20 am »
Alright, no Blues music thread, so here she is!

* Right now I am spinning this ::

--

---- Click on the above art cover ^ for music samples, and more.

North Star

Re: Blues music only.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2013, 05:48 am »
--

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2013, 08:42 am »
Brother North Star, bless you.  My youth was spent in North Dallas, Texas in the 50's and I don't know why, but the blues was the mainstream for most of we male children.   The uppity girls liked The Everly Bros and Buddy Holly.  Man, I got stories.  Jimmy Reed probably sold the most of his records to us.  We had dances that could only be done to the blues.  The North Texas Push and the Casa Linda Low Life were teenage art forms done to the blues.  I used to attend blues reviews at the Dallas Sportatorium.  Ten groups for $3.00.  Colored folks- this was during segregation- had the all the best seats in front of the stage and white folks were seated on the perimeter.  White folks out numbered colored three to one.  Go figure.  One time, when team letters were being handed out to baseball players at my school, they gave mine to someone else cause I wasn't present.  I was at the Sportatorium dancing in the aisles and that's not bullshit.  Man, me, and my friends, loved the blues.  Saw Howlin Wolf in Ft. Worth at a dance hall and remember surveying the scene and whiskey bottles and even purses were standing alone atop tables cause everybody was gathered around the stage.  He was laying down on his back in front of the stage playing.

How about Dallas' own Freddie King, "I'm Going Down".  And, Texas white girl Angela Strehli's "Blonde and Blue" (Rounder).  The fact that she only made two recordings is a cryin shame and an indictment of majority lameness.  Don't be one of those and miss sourcing this and her other (HDCD) one, "Deja Blue" with a guitar player named Mike Schermer positively rippin it on the title track and a duet with Doug Sham on Tarheel Slim and Little Anne's, "It's Too Late".
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2013, 09:58 pm by jimdgoulding »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2013, 10:56 am »

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2013, 11:31 am »
Excellent Idea! There's a lot of ways to flatten a 3rd. So let's start it out right.

Doc

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2013, 12:25 pm »
Great thread NS.  :thumb:

How about Keb' Mo'. Here's a random playlist I found on Youtube.

Devil Doc

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2013, 02:06 pm »

I think this was the first Blues album I ever bought.

Doc

ZLS

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2013, 03:39 pm »
Brother North Star, bless you.  My youth was spent in North Dallas, Texas in the 50's and I don't know why, but the blues was the mainstream for most of we male children.   The uppity girls liked The Everly Bros and Buddy Holly.  Man, I got stories.  Jimmy Reed probably sold the most of his records to us.  We had dances that could only be done to the blues.  The North Texas Push and the Casa Linda Low Life were teenage art forms done to the blues.  I used to attend blues reviews at the Dallas Sportatorium.  Ten groups for $3.00.  Colored folks- this was during segregation- had the all the best seats in front of the stage and white folks were seated on the perimeter.  White folks out numbered colored three to one.  Go figure.  One time, when team letters were being handed out to baseball players at my school, they gave mine to someone else cause I wasn't present.  I was at the Sportatorium dancing in the aisles and that's not bullshit.  Man, me, and my friends, loved the blues.  Saw Howlin Wolf in Ft. Worth at a dance hall and remember surveying the scene and whiskey bottles and even purses were standing alone atop tables cause everybody was gathered around the stage.  He was laying down on his back in front of the stage playing.

How about Dallas' own Freddie King, "I'm Going Down".  And, Texas white girl Angela Strehli's "Blonde and Blue" (Rounder).  The fact that she only made two recordings is a cryin shame and an indictment of majority lameness.  Don't be one of those and miss sourcing this and her other (HDCD) one, "Deja Blue" with a guitar player named Mike Schermer positively rippin it on the title track and a duet with Doug Sham on Tarheel Slim and Little Anne's,  It's Too Late.

Since you mentioned Angela Strehli,  here is a kick ass album  http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-Come-True-Marcia-Ball/dp/B000003MUL  It is more rhythm and blues then pure blues, but whatever you call it, it is great music.   

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2013, 04:01 pm »

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2013, 04:10 pm »
'Smokin' Joint' is a decent album but nowhere near indicative of what Kim can do live.

"My Blues' is interesting because it was recorded in mono.

Here's the first 'real' blues album I ever bought:

Devil Doc

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2013, 04:11 pm »

Doc

decal

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2013, 05:45 pm »

Buddy Guy  "Skin Deep"

Devil Doc

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2013, 06:17 pm »

Block, Bibb, and Muldaur: Brothers and Sisters

Doc

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2013, 07:00 pm »
I can't give Eden Brent ("Little Boogaloo") a higher recommendation.
Check >> THIS OUT<<:thumb:

Bob

North Star

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2013, 07:05 pm »
--

-- * Click on them fine Bluesmen ^ for some fine music specimen.

North Star

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2013, 08:25 pm »
--

-- * Music samples ^ simply by clicking on the above art cover (like I always do).

Devil Doc

« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2013, 08:29 pm »

Doc

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2013, 08:48 pm »

Doc
We got a little group down here called "The Songbird Society".  Basically it's a couple with an old two story registered home in the Montrose area near town that open up their downstairs to members to listen to live sets of music.  Members bring food and drink and Ruthie Foster played at one that my daughter and I attended.  She was a blast.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2013, 09:02 pm »
Thanks for that recommendation on Ruthie. She's got a neat voice. Lots of "Feeling" and a truckload of soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkYh2BYONms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlStYHu6H-k

North Star

« Reply #19 on: 4 Aug 2013, 09:31 pm »
--