Sub Nine

arduous1

Sub Nine
« on: 31 May 2016, 03:10 pm »
The show Newport:
to show new stereo subs
"Each SUB NINE cabinet is loaded with a massive, power-factor-corrected 400-watt amplifier, and a 13-inch down-firing cellulose fiber-foam-cellulose fiber cone that slot loads into the room. But the SUB NINE's sophisticaton and adjustability are no less powerful- each sub's onboard 11-band room EQ, adjustable Q/contour and level controls ensure that users can obtain perfect bass in virutally any room. 

As with Vandersteen's powered bass speakers and subwoofers the SUB NINE works in conjunction with an outboard 6dB/octave high-pass filter, which dramatically improves overall system performance by relieving the main amplifier of low-bass duties and lowering intermodulation distortion. Where other powered subs are typically bumped up or rolled off at the crossover frequency, the SUB NINE's internal amplifier gently raises the sub's output at 6dB/octave as the high-pass rolls it off to reconstruct ripple-free, flat frequency response at the 100Hz crossover point. The SUB NINE is expected to be in full production by 4th quarter of 2016."

wonder what retail is gonna be.

ard1

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Sub Nine
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 06:33 pm »
wonder what retail is gonna be.

ard1
A LOT I'm sure.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 07:44 pm »
A LOT I'm sure.

Sub Nine price range... :scratch:   
Is that below 9 G....... :cyclops:   :banghead:

Can't wait to hear more about this one.
Is it meant to be loaded in the corner like a 2Wq?
13" woofer, the 2Wq has the equivalence of a 15".

I'm sure it will sound awesome.

I know I've been waiting for this for a couple years now.   

ctsooner

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2016, 11:56 pm »
guys, it will sound great.  Richard would not have come out with this unless he felt so.  The price will be south of 15k, which for auto paint and the cabinets they are in is a great value.  It will fit right into everything he makes.  This isn't meant for anything but folks who want bigger sound for the 7's.  If someone owns the 5ct's and wants them, he's already half way to the 7's already, but they will work with any of his speakers.  They just don't make sense for anything from the Quatro down as you can just get better sound by getting the Quatro's at that point or moving up to the 5CT's.  Richard learned a lot when working on the shelved 9's.  These are very very special subs.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2016, 01:12 am »
guys, it will sound great.  Richard would not have come out with this unless he felt so.  The price will be south of 15k, which for auto paint and the cabinets they are in is a great value.  It will fit right into everything he makes.  This isn't meant for anything but folks who want bigger sound for the 7's.  If someone owns the 5ct's and wants them, he's already half way to the 7's already, but they will work with any of his speakers.  They just don't make sense for anything from the Quatro down as you can just get better sound by getting the Quatro's at that point or moving up to the 5CT's.  Richard learned a lot when working on the shelved 9's.  These are very very special subs.

$15k for a pair of subs...I'll pass.

As an owner of 5A's for the past 10 years, I not only loved their sound, but their value relative to their performance.

The newer speakers (7's, 5A Carbon, these subs) just don't seem to represent value and performance in the same way.

Oh well...

George

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2016, 11:43 am »
$15k for a pair of subs...I'll pass.

As an owner of 5A's for the past 10 years, I not only loved their sound, but their value relative to their performance.

The newer speakers (7's, 5A Carbon, these subs) just don't seem to represent value and performance in the same way.

Oh well...

George

What is the intended use of the subs?  Which speakers are they supposed to augment?

While I agree that the model 7s are not a value speaker, I think most companies' top of the line product is made to max out on performance and not value.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2016, 01:03 pm »
What is the intended use of the subs?  Which speakers are they supposed to augment?

While I agree that the model 7s are not a value speaker, I think most companies' top of the line product is made to max out on performance and not value.

I guess I just got spoiled when Vandersteen's top of the line and world class speaker was under $20k new.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:05 pm »
Below you can see one sub in the back right corner of the picture.

Here is the text:

Topping-off the system were a pair of Vandersteen Sub 9 subwoofers (available in the fall, no price set as yet but likely north of $15,000/pair).

George

dminches

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2016, 01:09 pm »
These subs are in addition to the subs built into the Model 7s and 5As?  I didn't think those speakers needed more bass.  Or, is this for LFE?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2016, 01:42 pm »
These subs are in addition to the subs built into the Model 7s and 5As?  I didn't think those speakers needed more bass.  Or, is this for LFE?

I am pretty sure it is in addition to the bass capabilities of the 5A's or 7's.  That is a 2 channel room.

I agree with you...I never felt like either speaker was lacking in the bass area.

These subs are a real head scratcher to me.

George

darthlaker

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2016, 02:00 pm »
I could not imagine someone wanting more bass than the Quattro/5A/7 but I would imagine Richard developed these for those who want the ultimate visceral slam.

dminches

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2016, 03:56 pm »
I could not imagine someone wanting more bass than the Quattro/5A/7 but I would imagine Richard developed these for those who want the ultimate visceral slam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

darthlaker

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2016, 10:06 pm »
LOL! Yes, there is NEVER enough bass!!!!  :D

Habs Fan

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2016, 03:39 am »
The subs placement can optimized to reduce room issues and even out the bass response .I guess if you can afford the 7's another 15 large is pocket change.

ctsooner

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2016, 03:07 pm »
Guys, many audiophiles correlate greatest speakers with huge size and subs.  It's the reality.  Richard wasn't able to produce better sound with a 9 series, but he was able to produce prodigious bass in quality and quantity.  He just decided to scrap the 9's and produce these subs for folks who just have to have even more.  I haven' heard them, but have spoken with someone who has extensive time and they are for 7 owners who have to have more, bigger, newer and better.  I personally can't see needing more than you get with the powered speakers already, but I haven't heard these. 

The best thing is that Richard is able to give us great value speakers and still shoot towards the moon.  His amp is the perfect example and it's where the money is going forward i'm sure. He has to keep a growing and stable company for his kids to take over in the next how many years.  I love that he's branching out in more areas as he's doing it with sound engineering and great sound.  Love his amps and I'm sure I'll love the new subs.  These can go with any Vandy speaker, but it's not built for someone with 5's be them new or older.  It's for folks who aren't really into the value proposition like many of us have to be.  If you can afford these, then you may just want them so you can have even bigger sound.  Richard wouldn't come out with them if they couldn't improve the sound a bit I'm sure.  He also has a tweeter on the rear of some speakers, but personally I'd always keep it off.  He has to sell product and he's done a great job over the years, so I'm sure he's making a good business decision. 

dminches

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2016, 05:34 pm »
I really don't see how these will improve things even marginally, especially if you have a well treated room.  We spent 4 hours setting up my 7s to get the bass right.

Plus, as more an more music moves to digital sources I see these having limited return.  I just don't hear the deep bass with my DAC that I do with vinyl or reel to reel.

For $15k I would invest in LFE subs for movie audio. 

ctsooner

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2016, 07:40 pm »
You know the deal.  It's for folks who feel they have to have bigger, bigger and bigger sound.  I do look forward to hearing them, but most who own the 7's will be fine the way they are.  There is a small market who want more.  There always are.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2016, 07:49 pm »
You know the deal.  It's for folks who feel they have to have bigger, bigger and bigger sound.  I do look forward to hearing them, but most who own the 7's will be fine the way they are.  There is a small market who want more.  There always are.

Which was a point I raised earlier in this thread.

I don't like the direction Vandersteen has gone with it's products.

George

dminches

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2016, 09:11 pm »
Which was a point I raised earlier in this thread.

I don't like the direction Vandersteen has gone with it's products.

George

I think there are 2 approaches Vandersteen is taking.  One is to provide audiophile level sound within a reasonable budget.  They accomplish this with the 2 CEs, 3As and Treos.  The second is to appeal to the sector which can afford to, and wants to, spend more.  That starts with the Quatros up through the Model 7s with VanderAmps and now the Sub Nines.  I think both markets can be served by them.

ctsooner

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:18 pm »
I think there are 2 approaches Vandersteen is taking.  One is to provide audiophile level sound within a reasonable budget.  They accomplish this with the 2 CEs, 3As and Treos.  The second is to appeal to the sector which can afford to, and wants to, spend more.  That starts with the Quatros up through the Model 7s with VanderAmps and now the Sub Nines.  I think both markets can be served by them.

bingo!!!  For some reason many how have and love his lower priced gear get upset over the direction he's going, but their own products are getting better and better because of the trickle down.  The R&D as well as the components are better and better. I bet that he also comes out with affordable amps based off of these and I bet it will be soon enough.  He has a few other things up his sleeve that will be head turning in a good way.  If you have the ability to, why not?  I personally don't see how this can compare to anything Bryston or other companies have or are doing?  They are playing at the highest of ends with price no object for the most part.  It's like D says, two companies within the same company and it works great for both.  He has to make a living, lol.