I have some old brochures, paperwork, schematics

davidc1

I have some old brochures, paperwork, schematics
« on: 18 May 2020, 01:06 am »
Hello,

I bought my first pair of VMPS speakers back in 1981. In fact, I just found the receipt! I bought them from The Long Ear, a stereo shop in Big Bear Lake, CA.

I was 20 yrs old, and saved up for a year to pay $1000 for a pair of Super Towers in kit form. Man, did we rock the neighborhood back then.

Anyway, I still have them as my main speakers in my system, they've been upgraded once since then. Brian charged me a bargain price of $300 back in 1991 for new Passive Radiators, new woofers and new midranges. The surrounds had pretty much disintegrated on them. Then, I found the JVC leaf ribbon tweeters at a local wholesale speaker/electronics store for $17 each.

About 10 yrs ago I bought a QSO 626 (not the ribbon one) that I use for my center channel.

I also just came across some of the instructions and schematics from back then. Is there a section I can upload them to on the forum so everybody can enjoy them?

Also, wondering if there are any upgrades I can do to them with either the drivers or the crossovers. All the surrounds on the drivers are still in good shape if you can believe it.

Here's a picture...dusty, but still in good shape. He must have changed the cabinet as some point, because I don't remember coming across ones that looked like mine.

Stimpy

Re: I have some old brochures, paperwork, schematics
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 05:43 pm »
Hi David,

Nice VMPS speakers.  And a model that I haven't seen before...!  Thanks for posting the picture, for posterity.  I look forward to any paperwork, and schematics, that you have too.  We really need the info, and there isn't an official thread that covers documentation.  Feel free to start one, and maybe it can be Pinned at the top of the forum?

Stimpy

davidc1

Re: I have some old brochures, paperwork, schematics
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2020, 05:16 pm »
Hi David,

Nice VMPS speakers.  And a model that I haven't seen before...!  Thanks for posting the picture, for posterity.  I look forward to any paperwork, and schematics, that you have too.  We really need the info, and there isn't an official thread that covers documentation.  Feel free to start one, and maybe it can be Pinned at the top of the forum?

Stimpy

I will do that.  I too have never seen this cabinet version of the Super Tower. I think it may have been sold from maybe 1979 to 1983 or so before he put the mids and tweeters in a vertical line, which also made for a left and right version.

Are there any upgrades available? I know that the woofers and tweeters had been changed, but are any spare parts avialable still?