IDA-8 ... after market power cords/fuses

reedlom

IDA-8 ... after market power cords/fuses
« on: 8 Jul 2016, 06:16 pm »
Greetings to all NuPrimers! Yesterday I took delivery of my IDA-8 [demo unit purchased from Rick Hopkins, Sonic Unity - nice guy]. I am very impressed with the sound of the IDA-8. For 40+years I've been a tube amp guy, primarily SET amps. The IDA-8 sound is the closest to tube amp sound I've heard from any solid state amp ... quite an accomplishment by the NuPrime designers. I'm using the IDA-8 to drive Decware MG-944 speakers. I was a bit concerned that a Class D amp [I know - NuPrime's amps are more than simple Class D] would make the MG-944s' ribbon tweeters sound strident, but that issue has been put to rest. I would appreciate input from those using NuPrime components as to experimentation with after market power cords and/or after market fuses. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reed

snoocher

Re: IDA-8 ... after market power cords/fuses
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2016, 12:37 am »
Thanks for posting this - I'm also interested to see what others might use, particularly power cords.

mervinpearce

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2016, 01:25 am »
PS Audio Power Punch on mine

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2016, 03:35 am »
Not an Ida user, but you should try Wolf Ear Audio from Canada for less than 100 US bucks including shipping. This sounds more like a $500 power cable.

https://www.wolfearaudio.ca/products/aohkii-reference-power-cord

Mike6743

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2016, 07:15 pm »
I have an IDA-8 and have made several mods and upgrades to it. I will list each one and the improvement it made (of course IMO). Speakers are Golden Ear Aon 3.
First, Bob at TDSS did his upgrade and that made a 175% improvement. Everything is just better.
Next was a Cullen Cable Crossover power cable - requires ~75 hrs break in - 30% improvement - sounds more powerful, like it added 15-20 watts.
Next was Synergistic Research Black fuse - 35% improvement - blacker background, better edges on instruments, more dynamic, more accurate tones.

The difficult thing I had with the upgrades was how much money to spend on a $999 integrated amplifier. With the progress I have made on improved sound quality, I have come to the conclusion that the IDA-8 is on par more with a $1999 integrated. Any cable changes I try are significant, indicating to me that the quality of internal components are indeed capable of demonstrating differences. In comparison with a standard consumer receiver from a local big box store, tweaks and cable changes barely make any audible difference.

maty

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm »
"sounds more powerful, like it added 15-20 watts... blacker background, better edges on instruments, more dynamic, more accurate tones"

You have more RFI/EMI. Schaffner RFI/EMI filters + Würth 150kHz ferrites are cheaper and effective!