What do you do with excess length of power cords?

Wayner

What do you do with excess length of power cords?
« on: 21 Apr 2007, 01:38 pm »
Today I'm looking at the usual mess behind the systems. Does cable management always have to be such a mystery? What do you do with the excess lengths of everything? I have taken power cords and folded them,then wire tied the bundle. Am I making a choke of some kind? Is there a better way?

:scratch:

Big Red Machine

Re: What do you do with excess length of power cords?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2007, 02:44 pm »
But do you keep right and left channel IC's away from each other as well?  I always wonder what is going on with signal purity when I see house networks bundled together.  Assume they are shielded cables.  So what do we do with all the wires in the back of our systems so we don't have interactions?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:47 pm »
Wayner, untie those cords.  I have no earthly idea why, but things do sound 'choked' off when I folded them versus leaving them outstretched.

Again, I don't know why (I wish it didn't 'cause it looks ugly), it's only what I found over time  :|

There are cable management 'devices' (plastic, flexible sleeves you can buy and insert wires into) that hide them.....but as they would be laying on top of one another, that's probably not advisable.

Papajin

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2007, 03:50 pm »
I don't know all the whys and hows, but I've definitely noticed a big difference in the noise floor depending on what wires I place wear.  Especially of course IC's near the power cords.  It can be somewhat of a challenge to keep everything separate though.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2007, 11:58 am »
I do try to keep power cords away from IC's but there is always one manufacturer that puts the power cord on the back left corner panel, insted of the usual right side.

W

Gordy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2007, 01:27 pm »
I do try to keep power cords away from IC's but there is always one manufacturer that puts the power cord on the back left corner panel, insted of the usual right side.

W

Yes, and it's almost guaranteed that it'll be the one piece you want to place high in the stack / rack...  :roll:

When I have to cross cables, I use the tubular pipe insulation foam. A short section on both intersecting cords helps to keep them spaced about 2" or so.  Some 1" velcro tape is real nice for keeping things in place!

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2007, 01:38 pm »
If you have to cross AC cords and IC, make sure they cross at right angle. Coiling power cords will increase their inductance, like adding a small choke in front of the equipment, which may not ba a bad thing - small HF filtering. But make sure to move the AC cord "coil" away from IC.

OldCoder

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:30 pm »
I use a custom wooden rack to hold my gear, and I take advantage of
the fact that you cannot see anything on the back of the rack.

So, I lead two lengths of thin, strong rope down the rear corners from top to bottom.
I use this as a place to tie to, and I use velcro ties to bind the desired cables there.

The velcro cable ties pull the power cables to whichever side they are closer to. 
Any surplus length in power cords is coiled at the floor, next to the outlet strip.
I cluster the interconnects to the middle ot each shelf.

The velcro ties can be found at computer stores, or major chain stores like Best Buy.

It works fine for me, is inexpensive, and most importantly, very easily adjusted.
No interaction heard between power cords and ICs