Suggestions Headphone/Dac desktop

Rocket

Suggestions Headphone/Dac desktop
« on: 30 Oct 2022, 04:12 am »
Hi Guys,

What brand would you suggest that I can purchase as a headphone/dac desktop setup to use with either my iPhone or Samsung. I just want something simple but good sounding. I have a pair of fostex mass drop headphones and sennheiser hd650's that I would use.

I'd probably pay up to $500usd.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Rod

Mag

Re: Suggestions Headphone/Dac desktop
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2022, 11:19 am »
  I purchased this little wireless Bluetooth amp. I use it in with Voicemeeter a mixer app and Realtek app on my computer, no dac. My headphones are Beyerdynamic Custom Studio. This little amp brought these headphones to life, but I'm also connecting this to my Yamaha avr and use the headphone jack on the Yamaha. I'm sure it'll work fine even without connecting it to my Yamaha.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2022, 10:33 am »
The Liquid Spark by Cavalli is only $130, several nice units from Schitt at various price points, and the ChiFi units from Sabaj, SMSL, and Loxie are very good for the price.  I'm not a fan of the iFi sound signature, but a lot of people like their clear, up front sound and they also have different price points.

LedZep

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2022, 11:23 am »
Check out audiosciencereview.com. There are a lot of reviews including measurements on this website.

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2022, 11:59 am »
Hi Guys,

Much food for thought. Thank you for all of your recommendations. I like the idea of a desktop headphone/amp but I would only use this with an iPhone or android as I don't want to be bothered using a computer.

Some of the desktop products only seem to have usb inputs or digital so I guess an iPhone or android is out of the question?

Cheers Rod

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2022, 02:14 pm »
Good morning, Rod.

Are you using an older iPhone (with a HP jack)?

Michael

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2022, 01:43 pm »
Hi Michael,

I use an iPhone 13 max which doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack and uses a lighting cable. Currently using a FIO dac/heaphone dongle which is great but not enough power for my sennheiser HD650's.

Cheers Rod

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2022, 01:59 pm »
Good morning, Rod.

My wife has the same phone. I inherited her 'old' 11 Pro Max as I am less demanding of my phone. However, I still have my iPhone 6-plus which I tether to audio gear with an earphone jack to RCA connectors in order to listen to the saved music or Tidal music.

Am I correct that you want Bluetooth capability rather than a wired connection?

Michael

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2022, 05:30 am »
Hi Michael,

I prefer to use a wired connection. I just want to use it when I'm working from home at my desk. I didn't really want to go to the hassle of using my iMac although I would I try and failed lol.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Rod