Something new that sounds incredible

Danny Richie

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #620 on: 7 Jan 2015, 04:23 pm »
Hey UL,

We have designs some speakers using some big 12" coaxial drivers from P Audio.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73341.0

The P Audio drivers were standouts. They were designed more like a high end audio driver and not just a music production driver. They had a high 97db sensitivity and were really fun to listen to. Dynamics are incredible. They score a 10 for fun factor.

The Wedgie is more accurate with a very smooth response curve. They are cleaner and offer a great level of detail. The narrow baffle design also offers better imaging. The tweeter is also physically aligned to the voice coil of the woofers so they are perfectly in phase front to back. You don't get that with anything else. And the sensitivity is a high 95db so there are good dynamics there as well.

I am anxious to get the base design finished up...

Ultralight

« Reply #621 on: 8 Jan 2015, 06:08 am »
Thanks Danny,

I'm looking forward to your complete package from these to the base.   Do like excellent imaging and accuracy.

With some DIY kits, one can purchase CNC files such as the Frugelhorns.  Do you sell CNC plans for these?

Thanks!
UL

Danny Richie

« Reply #622 on: 8 Jan 2015, 12:19 pm »
Thanks Danny,

I'm looking forward to your complete package from these to the base.   Do like excellent imaging and accuracy.

With some DIY kits, one can purchase CNC files such as the Frugelhorns.  Do you sell CNC plans for these?

Thanks!
UL

The CNC files are not for sale. They belong to Ben Daniels.

Only a small part of the cost of the kit goes towards the flat pack and that small portion pays Ben back for his programming time. 

Ultralight

« Reply #623 on: 14 Jan 2015, 08:43 am »
Thanks for the clarification.

Finally took a break and read through most of this thread.  Apparently it has excellent detail and expansive sound stage.

2 questions:

1. Are these a very neutral pair of speaker?  Or does it shade more to the warm side?  Or shade towards the more detailed/cool sie?

2. The soundstage is wide/tall, but is the imaging very precise in placement and depth?

Thanks,
UL

nickd

« Reply #624 on: 14 Jan 2015, 05:50 pm »
Ultralight,

I have also been following this thread and waiting for the new 8" sub design to be finished. I have built and owned 6 different GR designs. Epiphany 20/21, LS-9, Super V, X-LS, X-Omni & X-Statik. All of Danny's designs in my opinion, lean to the warm side ever so slightly. Full rich midrange with excellent bloom and resolution.

the "Wedgie" bass and lower midrange will most likely depend on the (pending) sub woofer design, location in room and settings on the amps. The "Wedgie" rolls off at 200HZ so I don' think use as a stand alone monitor (without a proper sub) is an option for most users.

The 12" twin OB woofers in an H frame is the best option available to date but it is a "full size" design and may not fit into everyone's room décor ideals.

Ultralight

« Reply #625 on: 17 Jan 2015, 07:20 am »
Thanks NICKD,

Sounds great. I like my resolution and fast transients, but also a good warmth.  They don't always seem to coexist.  Will be driving with a 22 watt set.  Waiting for the sub solution too.  These may be my OB solution.

Thanks!
UL

Erpeder

« Reply #626 on: 5 Feb 2015, 10:59 pm »
Hi AC. Is this tread dead??? I read it first time 3 days ago I have the V1 servo sub system and I can't find anything about the Wedgies on GR`s homesite, is the project dead?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #627 on: 5 Feb 2015, 11:10 pm »
Hi AC. Is this tread dead??? I read it first time 3 days ago I have the V1 servo sub system and I can't find anything about the Wedgies on GR`s homesite, is the project dead?

Thanks

Not dead.

I have held off on putting it online until I have completed the testing of the matching sub stand. I will have a more complete package soon.

The lower wedge will have three of the 8" servo subs with two facing out and one facing in.

Captainhemo

« Reply #628 on: 6 Feb 2015, 12:18 am »

Thanks

If you've already have the  servo subs from the V1's, build yourself  a couple H-frames then give Danny a call and order  the  Wedgie kit. They'll  work great together. 

-jay

Erpeder

« Reply #629 on: 6 Feb 2015, 10:21 pm »
Thanks for information. Danny, is the coming Wegie sub section a H-baffel like V1 and Serenity Super-7? I'm tired to look at my 69.99inch high Serenity Super 7 copy with my ovn planner unit, therefore new top on the H-baffel. I love the subs.

How do I upload pictures here?

LSfromBC

« Reply #630 on: 8 Feb 2015, 07:01 am »
here we go again....

would the wedgie work in a 5.1 or 5.2 setup? any plans to make a wedgie center channel? hmmm would these even work in a surround system?

anyone getting tired of my questions yet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #631 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:19 am »
here we go again....

would the wedgie work in a 5.1 or 5.2 setup? any plans to make a wedgie center channel? hmmm would these even work in a surround system?

anyone getting tired of my questions yet?

If you can get them out into the room then they'd be great as left and right mains. I have worked on a matching center for them at all yet. Just too much on my plate right now....

IanVan

« Reply #632 on: 12 Feb 2015, 08:23 pm »
Would these pair nicely with a pair of  Rhythmik F12G subs, or would there be a gap between 120hz and 200hz?

I am really interested in these, but I'm constrained in my space. Its a small room, 10' x 12' with 8 1/2' ceilings - current speakers are just 18" from side wall and 12" from rear wall.

Can anyone offer setup/sub suggestions? Its strictly for 2-channel music listening.

Thank you.

ebag4

« Reply #633 on: 12 Feb 2015, 08:59 pm »
I'll leave it to Danny answer the sub question, but I can tell you they work great with the servo sub's in my 10.5'x12.5' room.  My room is dedicated so no issue with the speakers being pulled out from the wall, about 4' in my case.

Best,
Ed

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #634 on: 12 Feb 2015, 11:08 pm »
Ed.....your making me buy a pair of these......my wife hates you....... :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #635 on: 12 Feb 2015, 11:52 pm »
Hahaha, so does mine. :lol:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #636 on: 13 Feb 2015, 12:11 am »

And PDR, my wife hates you. I showed her your speakers to prove that the Super V's could be made to look really good and talk her into letting me design a pair for our house :lol:

Greg

Ric Schultz

« Reply #637 on: 13 Feb 2015, 12:54 am »
Some options:

1.  There is no good reason to use the Wedgies near a back wall.  They will not sound anywhere near as good this way.....but all speakers sound much worse against a rear wall (maybe the Wedgies more so?).  However, if you have a temporary room situation then they will work OK for awhile there if you kill the rear wave of the open baffle mid and high frequency array by adding felt behind the drivers (an inch or so off the driver).  I had the VMPS planar panel on an open baffle (running from 250hz on up) and the speaker was 7 feet out in the room.....but still I had too much highs...too bright.   So, I put a couple layers of felt behind the driver and the speaker was then spectacular.  One main advantage of open baffle is there is no compression from a sealed box....the drivers run free.  So, the neo tweeter will still sound better near a wall with felt an inch behind it then with a enclosed back.  Open baffle woofers (below 200hz) is another story.....you will definetly want them out in the room....they fire to the front and rear and if you have them to close to a rear wall...then lots of non linear things will happen. 

2.  You can use the Wedgies with a passive woofer system.  No doubt the OB servo 8s and 12s are great (I use the 12s)....but not everyone wants to have amps all over the place.  You can use a woofer system (one or two woofers) in a sealed or ported box and cross them over using a single coil (3-6mh depending on the impedance of the woofers).  You have to match the sensitivity of the woofer to the Wedgies....relatively easy.  One or two woofs to equal about 94db sensitivity.  Hopefully Danny will come up with such a solution on his own as this would make more people interested.  This way you can just use one amp and drive both the top and bottom.  The wedgies will have some compression this way as they are not rolled off using a passive line level cap like Danny suggests.....but I think they would play close to 100db without much strain.  You can use a single cap (around 150uf of stacked polys with bypass) to roll them off at 150 at 6 db per octave for super loud listening.  I use a single Neo 10 on an open baffle with no low frequency roll off and I play high 90s without strain.

3.  You can use the Wedgies with other biamped woofs besides the servo woofs.  If you have a woofer you can use a Behringer or Crown amp with built in crossover to power the woofs.  Less expensive than the servo system....but I am sure, not quite as good.  One benefit of the Behringer amps is that it also has equalization so you can equalize the bass for flat response at your listening position.

4.  You can make the speaker a boxed speaker (I would keep the wedge look for non parallel walls).  Obviously, it won't sound as good but I think it will still sound better than any other of Danny's boxed speakers.  Four super light drivers is more transparent than 2 heavier 5 or 6 inch drivers.  You will need to have separate woofers (passive or active) to fill in from around 100hz on down.  Just imagine his little baby LGK but with four drivers in parallel and then the time aligned Neo 3 tweet in between......the tweeter won't sound as good in a box but you could have a separate container inside the box for the tweet and then remove its back for better than normal sound.  Danny has larger backs on the Neo 3 because they sound better than the tiny original ones..... but a large container for the back wave of the tweet would be even better....though still not as good as open baffle. 
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm by Ric Schultz »

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #638 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:18 pm »
And PDR, my wife hates you. I showed her your speakers to prove that the Super V's could be made to look really good and talk her into letting me design a pair for our house :lol:

Greg

Thanks Greg, I appreciate that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #639 on: 13 Feb 2015, 06:25 pm »
Would these pair nicely with a pair of  Rhythmik F12G subs, or would there be a gap between 120hz and 200hz?

I am really interested in these, but I'm constrained in my space. Its a small room, 10' x 12' with 8 1/2' ceilings - current speakers are just 18" from side wall and 12" from rear wall.

Can anyone offer setup/sub suggestions? Its strictly for 2-channel music listening.

Thank you.

No, you really need one of our OB subs to play up that high.

These speakers are open baffle speakers an must be at least 3 feet or more out into the room.

There will be a matching sub for these shortly.