Something new that sounds incredible

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #500 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:22 am »
I have 2 questions :)

1. I have Super Vs. Love the bottom but am curious about a better mid range/top end. Could I use the bass section of them with the wedges? My plan might be to remove the side panels of the Super V and everything above the subs, creating a rectangular box. Lay that box on its side (2 subs side by side) and use it as a stand for the wedges. Thoughts?

2. If the above happens, I plan to mount the top end coaxial of the Super V on a small flat base (but use the tops of the original side panels and the bow tie panels) and use them without a sub as big bookshelf/computer speakers. How deep could they play if the crossover was reworked?

Would it be better to place the coaxs in a sealed/ported box with a new network. How deep could the play then?

Thoughts?

I want Wedges but don't want to give up anything in the bottom end, so this seems like the only option.

Thanks,

Steve.

Early B.

« Reply #501 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:09 pm »
Definitely fair to ask for more details:

I'm not one much for hyperbole, so I'll just tell you that I played music 5-6 nights a week for about a decade before health issues arose a few years ago.  I'm pretty synesthesic, and haven't really been able to enjoy listening to music since because it hasn't caused anything like the experience I remembered and carried in my head.  The V2s convinced me that I was definitely an open baffle guy, sounds hung nicely in space, but I kept tinkering with them too much to relax and enjoy music again.

I built the wedges and plunked them down on fern stands, filling in the bottom end with one sealed servo sub.  That was it, and there's joy in music again.  They bring to bear all the little cues music contains, layers and layers.  Instruments are placed in and take up space; it's that sense of volume (filled space) that finally feels right to me.  Voices sound as though they are shaped by mouths.  And I haven't fussed with placement -- they're just well out into the room and set somewhat wider than I might otherwise think to try.

I will beg pardon and pass on sharing a photo -- the other examples here are beautiful and mine are plain mdf.  I haven't even fastened the top brace or tied down the crossover properly as I've yet to decide how I want to go about finishing them.  I look forward to adding a pair of open baffle subs and to hearing a lot of great music.

And I might get around to putting a finish on them, too....

Thanks for details. This is very helpful.

One more thing -- Can those little drivers produce some killer dynamics? How do the dynamics compare to the V2?

Danny Richie

« Reply #502 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:37 pm »
I have 2 questions :)

1. I have Super Vs. Love the bottom but am curious about a better mid range/top end. Could I use the bass section of them with the wedges? My plan might be to remove the side panels of the Super V and everything above the subs, creating a rectangular box. Lay that box on its side (2 subs side by side) and use it as a stand for the wedges. Thoughts?

2. If the above happens, I plan to mount the top end coaxial of the Super V on a small flat base (but use the tops of the original side panels and the bow tie panels) and use them without a sub as big bookshelf/computer speakers. How deep could they play if the crossover was reworked?

Would it be better to place the coaxs in a sealed/ported box with a new network. How deep could the play then?

Thoughts?

I want Wedges but don't want to give up anything in the bottom end, so this seems like the only option.

Thanks,

Steve.

That is still quite a bit of demand for Super-V's. You could sell them and build new H frame subs, or sell them minus the woofers and amps. Then they can buy new woofers and amps and you can use yours in a new set of H frames.

stevenkelby

« Reply #503 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:45 pm »
Thanks Danny, I might list them for sale :)

Any thoughts on this?

If the above happens, I plan to mount the top end coaxial of the Super V on a small flat base (but use the tops of the original side panels and the bow tie panels) and use them without a sub as big bookshelf/computer speakers. How deep could they play if the crossover was reworked?

Danny Richie

« Reply #504 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »
Thanks Danny, I might list them for sale :)

Any thoughts on this?

If the above happens, I plan to mount the top end coaxial of the Super V on a small flat base (but use the tops of the original side panels and the bow tie panels) and use them without a sub as big bookshelf/computer speakers. How deep could they play if the crossover was reworked?

Optimal ported box is .37 cubic feet of air space and they will play to a -3db of 118Hz.

stevenkelby

« Reply #505 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:38 pm »
Cool thanks for the info :)

Do you think that building H frames (like the Super V) and using them as stands is the best way to fill in the bottom of the wedges?

Danny Richie

« Reply #506 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:42 pm »
Cool thanks for the info :)

Do you think that building H frames (like the Super V) and using them as stands is the best way to fill in the bottom of the wedges?

That would work great.

jseipp

« Reply #507 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:43 pm »

One more thing -- Can those little drivers produce some killer dynamics? How do the dynamics compare to the V2?
[/quote]
The dynamics have been great with the wedges.  I hate to single any one thing out of the flow and don't want to ding the V2s in any way (as they sound great!), but the wedges feel more like music to me.  I just spun the finale of Shostavich 5 with your question in mind, and feel no lack of dynamics at all   :D.

Keithh

« Reply #508 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:18 pm »
I let my Wedgies burn in for a few days while building a stand that directly mounts on my sub. Really didn't do
much listening during that time so I was ready to start some serious listening to the Wedgies mounted on the sub.
Started listening and they just didn't sound like they did at first. They were muddy sounding and that incredible
soundstage was gone. I fussed with the sub amp setting and the position for a couple days. But nothing was working.
During the last position change I noticed quite a bit of vibration on the Wedgie cabinet. Maybe they don't like sitting directly
on the sub, so I put them back on the separate stands and magic! They came back to life.
The room became immersed in clean detailed sound again. I noticed the other 2 great reviews are also stand mounted so
maybe that is the way to go. Looking forward to hear other peoples results.
I think Dannys narrow 8" OB servo sub would look great beside Wedgies on nice stands.

Danny Richie

« Reply #509 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:30 pm »
Yeah, I think stand mounting them and putting the H frame servo subs right next to them is the way to go.

I am also looking forward to the full floor standing version with nine of the LGK drivers in a line below the MMTMM.

Early B.

« Reply #510 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:32 pm »

The dynamics have been great with the wedges.  I hate to single any one thing out of the flow and don't want to ding the V2s in any way (as they sound great!), but the wedges feel more like music to me.  I just spun the finale of Shostavich 5 with your question in mind, and feel no lack of dynamics at all   :D.

Thanks again for your response.

Early B.

« Reply #511 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:34 pm »
Danny -- will you eventually provide an option for finished Wedgies? Some of us are quite challenged in the DIY department. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #512 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:37 pm »
Danny -- will you eventually provide an option for finished Wedgies? Some of us are quite challenged in the DIY department.

I bet something can be worked out. I am not going to start veneering and finishing cabinets though.

Early B.

« Reply #513 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:39 pm »
I bet something can be worked out. I am not going to start veneering and finishing cabinets though.

That's expected, but I believe you know some people who finish cabinets quite well... 8)

Perhaps another option would be to build out the cabinet and crossover, but finishing is left to the customer.

Danny Richie

« Reply #514 on: 16 Oct 2014, 06:04 pm »
That's expected, but I believe you know some people who finish cabinets quite well... 8)

Perhaps another option would be to build out the cabinet and crossover, but finishing is left to the customer.

The kit comes with the flat pack cabinet. You just have to glue it up and finish it to your choosing.

Captainhemo

« Reply #515 on: 16 Oct 2014, 06:40 pm »

Shoot Mike  (mlundy57) a PM.  I beliee he's been thinking of doing some builds for people looking for the service

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #516 on: 16 Oct 2014, 06:47 pm »
I am also looking forward to the full floor standing version with nine of the LGK drivers in a line below the MMTMM.

Ditto  :thumb:
 With the OB running right down to the floor, how far off to the side would the H-frames need to be  or is that not a huge concern ? Was  curious if having the say 30" tall  H-frame on one side with the large wing on the other would  adverselly effect thje lower drivers

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #517 on: 16 Oct 2014, 06:50 pm »
Ditto  :thumb:
 With the OB running right down to the floor, how far off to the side would the H-frames need to be  or is that not a huge concern ? Was  curious if having the say 30" tall  H-frame on one side with the large wing on the other would  adverselly effect thje lower drivers

-jay

One to two feet away will work great.

It will not adversely effect the lower drivers.

Early B.

« Reply #518 on: 16 Oct 2014, 08:16 pm »
Can the Wedgies be used as fronts for an HT system? Any concerns about overpowering them?

Danny Richie

« Reply #519 on: 16 Oct 2014, 08:32 pm »
Can the Wedgies be used as fronts for an HT system? Any concerns about overpowering them?

Yes they can. If the bottom end is filtered then power handling is not an issue.