Something new that sounds incredible

rockdrummer

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #420 on: 3 Oct 2014, 07:45 pm »
Hey Ed, if you paint, I am curious what you use to fill seems if there are any in your wedges. 

Thanks,
Ben

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #421 on: 3 Oct 2014, 08:25 pm »
In the bass alone, nothing can really touch the Super V's.  Those OB servo subs are incredibly detailed and musical, and can smack you upside the head when required.  Dynamics from top to bottom are among best in class.  Imaging and detail are also excellent.  But they are not a small speaker and they need space.

This is all good to hear, the space I will have ready for my Super V's is 20'x30'x10. If I use the Cardas rule they will be 7' from the front wall and about 5' from the side walls.

Greg

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #422 on: 3 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm »
This is all good to hear, the space I will have ready for my Super V's is 20'x30'x10. If I use the Cardas rule they will be 7' from the front wall and about 5' from the side walls.

Greg

That's perfect.

tasar

« Reply #423 on: 3 Oct 2014, 10:57 pm »
I agree 100%

My 2 cents worth.... While I appreciate my Neo based detail, for voice and acoustics, nothing beats the coax. Why ? Reality really .for me, with the Neo, the voice is front face, the "kiss" if you will, is a 3' stretch. On the other hand, the Vs coax delivers an enveloping effect, as if the  "kiss" is a close encounter. Weird ? Not really, waveguides and treated rooms are stellar in my way of thinking. The AMT gets closer, executed properly. Forget rock, with classic we have 80% of delivery , below 300Hz, the Vs are exemplary !

ebag4

« Reply #424 on: 4 Oct 2014, 12:29 am »
Hey Ed, if you paint, I am curious what you use to fill seems if there are any in your wedges. 

Thanks,
Ben
Hey Ben, I will use what I have used in the past, joint compound (drywall mud), it seems to do a nice job of smoothing out the cut edges of MDF as well as filling small gaps in the seams.

With regard to your Super Vs, I can't imagine you not loving them, although not the super, my V1s excel at rock, I will be keeping my coaxes for times when I want to rock out, that's the plan anyway.  The Bottle head/ Super V/V1s are an outstanding combination IMHO.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2014, 02:02 am by ebag4 »

Captainhemo

« Reply #425 on: 4 Oct 2014, 02:32 am »
Hey Ben, I will use what I have used in the past, joint compound (drywall mud), it seems to do a nice job of smoothing out the cut edges of MDF as well as filling small gaps in the seams.

Best,
Ed

I've used the drywall mud too and it does "seam" :) to work well.  I am now using   this stuff which  I like better

Might want to give it a try

-jay

ebag4

« Reply #426 on: 4 Oct 2014, 02:44 pm »
I've used the drywall mud too and it does "seam" :) to work well.  I am now using   this stuff which  I like better

Might want to give it a try

-jay
And you said I was funny  :lol:.  I will have to give this a shot, looks like Home Depot and Walmart carry it.

edit: correction, it appears Canadian Home Depot and Walmart's carry it, perhaps it is not available in the US.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #427 on: 4 Oct 2014, 04:14 pm »
And you said I was funny  :lol:.  I will have to give this a shot, looks like Home Depot and Walmart carry it.

edit: correction, it appears Canadian Home Depot and Walmart's carry it, perhaps it is not available in the US.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best,
Ed

Not available in the US ? Isn't  it usually the other way around   :lol:  Hopefully you can find it at a different  ouotlet and give it a try.
I'm actually going through that right now.... I'm  just  finishing up the 2nd H frame cabinet (haven't ordered the parts from Danny yet).  When I went to get paint,  apparently  the Duplicolor  Textured paint I used on the 1st cabinet is no longer available in Canada  :wtf:
Places like Jeg's, Summit etc aren't "allowed" to ship it to  Canada

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #428 on: 4 Oct 2014, 09:34 pm »
Danny,

I'm looking at the LGK Wedge crossover schematics. It appears that you are reversing the phase of the tweeter, is that correct?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #429 on: 5 Oct 2014, 03:41 am »
Danny,

I'm looking at the LGK Wedge crossover schematics. It appears that you are reversing the phase of the tweeter, is that correct?

Mike

Yes.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #430 on: 5 Oct 2014, 04:35 am »
Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #431 on: 5 Oct 2014, 06:26 pm »
I got some more work done on my Wedges. I veneered and finished the insides before gluing anything up

I glued the bottom to the large wing first. Notice the adapter on the parallel bar clamp. These made clamping the angled pieces easy.

Next I glued the baffles on

Then came the short wings. First I had to remove the finish where glue was going to be applied (I had to do the same thing on the baffles also)

Then glue the wings on

And finally the top brace

I have one more top brace to glue up then I have to veneer and finish the outside and edges

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #432 on: 5 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm »
WOW,  very nice Mike.  The veneer is orgeous  :thumb:

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #433 on: 5 Oct 2014, 11:44 pm »
Thanks Jay

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #434 on: 6 Oct 2014, 02:14 am »
Looking good as usual, Mike.

Those clamp adaptors are something I'd never seen so I nosed around. Looks like they only fit second gen. K bodies but they look handy and are on my "to get" list now.

Keithh

« Reply #435 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:49 pm »
My Wedge kit was cut out perfectly and since it is so small why use clamps.
Just use a drop of thick or med CA glue every 2-3 inches and spread wood glue between the drops
and press together tightly. Hold for 10-20 seconds for the CA glue to dry. The CA glue acts as a clamp
while the wood glue dries. Also make sure to use wax paper underneath. It took me about 20 minutes
to glue up both. Even though I have at least 100 clamps in my workshop, I only needed 2 small c-clamps
to use as stops to position the large wing.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #436 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:10 pm »
My Wedge kit was cut out perfectly and since it is so small why use clamps.
Just use a drop of thick or med CA glue every 2-3 inches and spread wood glue between the drops
and press together tightly. Hold for 10-20 seconds for the CA glue to dry. The CA glue acts as a clamp
while the wood glue dries. Also make sure to use wax paper underneath. It took me about 20 minutes
to glue up both. Even though I have at least 100 clamps in my workshop, I only needed 2 small c-clamps
to use as stops to position the large wing.

That's interesting, what is CA glue? I haven't heard of this technique before.

Captainhemo

« Reply #437 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:20 pm »
That's interesting, what is CA glue? I haven't heard of this technique before.

Cyanoacrylate, (super glue)
You can get it in all different consistancies including a gap gilling gel.    Good to have around if you're using  exacto knifes too   :lol:

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #438 on: 6 Oct 2014, 07:31 pm »
Can a component lead be connected directly to the tube connector or must the component lead be soldered to a wire that is then connected to the tube connector?

For example, can one lead of the resistor be soldered directly to the tube connector?

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #439 on: 6 Oct 2014, 08:20 pm »
After multiple coats of primer and sanding I am ready to start my base coat, here you go:

More later.