Something new that sounds incredible

Danny Richie

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #180 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:48 pm »
Danny, you certainly know how to keep a would-be speaker builder in suspense  :lol:.  Looking forward to the flat-pack and final pricing information and availability.

In the mean time, does the bottom need to be solid on the MMTMM?  I am assuming so since this is apparently the configuration in which you tested it.

What will be the optimum height for this speaker, NEO 3 at ear level, higher than ear level, any tilt required?

Thanks,
Ed

I sent the test baffle to Ben for him to look at it and quote the CNC'ed flat pack. He has done a great job with all the others so far. So I am waiting on that.

There will need to be a floor below the bottom woofer. It will be just right for mounting the crossover in there.

Optimal tweeter height is usually in the 38" range. Plus or minus a few inches is fine and the real optimal can vary depending on the seated height of the listener.

Captainhemo

« Reply #181 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:00 pm »
Again, just for fun   :thumb:
LGK MMTMM + 9

MMTMM

MMTMMMMMMMMMMM

MMMMMMMMMMTMMMMMMMMMM

-jay

jparkhur

« Reply #182 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:29 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmtmmmmmmmmmm

Better

Captainhemo

« Reply #183 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:39 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmtmmmmmmmmmm

Better

posted that one a few pages back :)
Will edit the above to  include the MMTMM, MMTMMMMMMMMMMM, and the MMMMMMMMMMTMMMMMMMMMM

-jay

jparkhur

« Reply #184 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:41 pm »
posted that one a few pages back :)
Will edit the above to  include the MMTMM, MMTMMMMMMMMMMM, and the MMMMMMMMMMTMMMMMMMMMM

-jay

Yes. I know. You ps my pic

hifibuff

« Reply #185 on: 12 Jun 2014, 05:52 pm »
The 9 LGK below the MMTMM should lower the distortion on the MMTMM array. Looking forward to see the pricing for the kits and the flat packs.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #186 on: 12 Jun 2014, 06:15 pm »
What distortion?  I was under the impression the MMTMM was clean and articulate without any distortion. Especially when Danny compared it with the Super 7 and LSX when paired with 12" OB servo subs.

ebag4

« Reply #187 on: 12 Jun 2014, 06:19 pm »
The 9 LGK below the MMTMM should lower the distortion on the MMTMM array. Looking forward to see the pricing for the kits and the flat packs.
If I understand correctly the 9 LGKs below the MMTMM are actually going to be used as woofers covering ~150-200Hz where the MMTMM takes over from 200Hz and up.

From Danny:
The 9 LGK's below should hit 94db levels. But the range will be limited each way, so it may work out well. The woofers in the MMTMM will roll into them and the subs being used will roll into them on the other side. I think it will work out pretty well. It will all be in how I design the crossover and how the high pass is handled to those drivers.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014, 07:45 pm by ebag4 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #188 on: 12 Jun 2014, 06:24 pm »
That part I understand. I was wondering what distortion hifibuff was talking about. I didn't think the MMTMM had any distortion that needed lowering. Or are we using the same word but talking about different things?
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014, 11:02 pm by mlundy57 »

ebag4

« Reply #189 on: 12 Jun 2014, 06:52 pm »
That part I understand. I was wondering g what distortion hifibuff was talking about. I didn't honk the MMTMM had any distortion that needed lowering. Or are we using the same word but talking about different things?
I believe what hifibuff is talking about is using multiple drivers to cover the same frequencies, when you do this distortion is typically lowered because the individual drivers don't have to work as hard at a given volume, that is my rudimentary understanding anyway.  In this case I "believe" the 9 LGKs are handling a different set of frequencies than the MMTMM, so it wouldn't apply here, I'm sure Danny will chime in with the facts.

Best,
Ed

hifibuff

« Reply #190 on: 13 Jun 2014, 03:15 am »
Your understanding is correct ebag4. If the additional LGK drivers are used as at to handle different frequencies as in the MMTMM, then you are correct again. This would not apply.

ebag4

« Reply #191 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:29 pm »
Any updates Danny?

baniels

« Reply #192 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:37 pm »
I sent Danny a design draft this morning. Once finalized, the prototype will be made and sent along.

ebag4

« Reply #193 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:45 pm »
Thanks Ben.

BobM

« Reply #194 on: 19 Jun 2014, 07:13 pm »
How about the

TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM
TM

... or maybe you could just call those a Pipedream because nobody would ever build that thing.

jparkhur

« Reply #195 on: 19 Jun 2014, 07:15 pm »
Bob.  Ye of little faith.       

ebag4

« Reply #196 on: 20 Jun 2014, 05:01 pm »
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2014, 05:55 pm by ebag4 »

ebag4

« Reply #197 on: 30 Jun 2014, 05:55 pm »
Any progress to report?

Danny Richie

« Reply #198 on: 30 Jun 2014, 05:59 pm »
Any progress to report?

Yeah, Ben has completed the drawings for the CNC work and will be cutting them shortly.

ebag4

« Reply #199 on: 30 Jun 2014, 06:19 pm »
Danny, would it be possible to post a drawing or explanation as to how the bottom and side will be connecting to the baffle?  The way these connect may impact someone's final design or the way they are using the flatpack.

Thanks,
Ed