Need advice for removing driver in Song Tower

mattyturner

Need advice for removing driver in Song Tower
« on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:10 pm »
One of the woofers on my Song Towers got damaged and I want to replace it. My issue is, taking the screws out is easy, however the driver is still held-fast in the cabinet. I don't really want to lever it out in anyway as I don't wish to damage the wood facade which is surrounding the driver.

Does anyone have any experience or tips for removing these?

Thanks,
-Matt

PSB Guy

Re: Need advice for removing driver in Song Tower
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:40 pm »
I used a small screwdriver in one of the screw holes to pry the woofer off my Songbird. It didn't take too much effort. I wouldn't suggest trying to pry at the edge, for fear of damaging the finish.

Cornelis

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:48 pm »
Be aware that the damage to that woofer looks to be simply cosmetic.  If it's just a pushed in dust cover, there is no real need to replace it. 

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2018, 09:18 pm »
Matt,

Do you have a pick and hook set like this?

If not $8.99 at Harbor Freight.  Then you can pull it from the screw holes.  Choose a hole and pull firmly looking for just a bit of movement, move to the hole opposite of the first one and pull firmly, move to the next opposite hole and work it like a torque pattern.  Patience is key, go slow and you should win out.  And hopefully Jim or someone from Salk chime in to help.

These will come in handy for a variety of tasks in the future.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2018, 03:46 am by JakeJ »

Brettio

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2018, 09:20 pm »
Unless there’s more than cosmetic damage I’d be reaching for a roll of tape and not the toolbox. 

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2018, 06:43 pm »
First off, I would try applying tape to the dust cap and then pull it off.  You can start with painters tape.  If you can't get that to work, try masking tape.  It may take a few tries, but eventually you will pull the dent out and the dust cap will be good as new.  No need to replace the driver.

If you would rather replace it, we use a pick from a set mentioned above.  The seal is quite tight due to the gasket tape.  But once you break the seal, it will come out easily.  For that reason, work slow and be careful.  If you pull too hard, once it releases it may pop right out and end up dinging the front of the cabinet.  So go slow, break the seal first and then remove the driver.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2018, 06:52 pm »
You can put it on its back so the driver doesn’t go flying when you break the seal.

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2018, 10:57 pm »
You can put it on its back so the driver doesn’t go flying when you break the seal.

Great comment.

- Jim

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2018, 03:20 am »
Hi,

You can also use a vacuum cleaner to pull the dust cap back into place.  Make sure you adjust the airflow by opening the vent on the nozzle.  Works great.

Cheers Rod

mattyturner

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2018, 03:01 pm »
Thank you for all the advice! I am going to try masking tape tonight and will report back.
-Matt

screener

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2018, 03:10 pm »
Before applying the tape you might want to think about where to pull. I would use 2 pieces and make an + and keep each piece longer. You then have the ability to pull from other directions. You could experiment with different widths. Maybe even 3 pieces for 6 directions.

mattyturner

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2018, 05:12 pm »
Okay, no luck with tape. I tried a few different approaches. The most promising was folding it into a tab so I could have some leverage over the center of the dimple.
Ordered some picks and going to see if I can get it from the other side with a q-tip before I order a whole new driver.

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2018, 05:37 pm »
If you're already willing to replace the driver to correct this, I'd still try the shop vac approach, very slowly and gently approaching the "dent" with the nozzle. I've done this a few times (with an adjustable suction Festool vac) and it works very well. Nothing to lose.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2018, 05:41 pm »
I have successfully removed drivers by screwing a fat sheet metal screw partially into one of the screw holes and using a pry bar on the head of the screw.
The sheet metal screw has to be bigger than the driver screw hole so it only goes in a few threads and then is too tight to turn and not into the front baffle.
Put a soft pad on the speaker (kitchen potholder) then a block of wood on the pad, then the pry bar on top the wood.
This is best done with the speaker on it's back.

billmcc

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2018, 07:58 am »
If pulling the dent out doesn't work and you need to remove the driver leave several screws in place but loose. Then when you gently use the suggested hook tools the driver will not fly off when the seal is broken. I'd do that and place the speaker on it's back as previously suggested (great idea!). With the speaker on it's back it'll make installing the new driver that much easier. One can never be too careful!

Bill