Bryston future products

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Bryston future products
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jul 2009, 09:32 pm »
James,

i know that Bryston cares. keep us updated.

al.

drummermitchell

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jul 2009, 02:21 am »
I was over at my friends this afternoon and he has a new BCD-1
When I had seen the picts of the BCD-1 display here,I thought,what the heck is
going on.It happens on his when a track is playing  you forward to another track.So if you are on #2 and skip to say #4,then that computer language pops up on the screen.He has 2XTorus also.i was saying that as kind of a joke before ,but I 'm sure a Torus couldn't hurt and yes they are expensive.
So far mine has been great.AS far as using the BCD-1s remote to fast,I just pressed the track# once on the remote and that's what came up on his screen :o..
The player did go to the track# and played,the language lasted maybe 4-5 seconds.

werd

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jul 2009, 02:47 am »
Hello Folks

How about some version of a 10b with a remote control. Does this already exist?

werd

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jul 2009, 03:30 am »
Hello again

The more you think about it the more it becomes obvious that there is another 2ch pre on the way. The device changes in the sq series amps alone(and their success) in my estimate would spark an interest in development of another 2 ch pre. It would be nice to see an intergration of a 10b/pre on one chassis.
The 10b part could be scaled down somewhat but some type of bass management would be nice to see.

ian.ameline

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jul 2009, 06:55 am »
Here are my thoughts on one potential new/improved product that Bryston should be working on.

First a preamble -- Bryston has managed to create a new version of its op-amps that have astonishingly good S/N numbers (~140db), and they sound amazing. These are used in the BDA-1.

My proposal is a new 2U tall stereo pre-amp combining the circuit topology of the BP26, but replacing the op-amps with those from the BDA-1. The power supply would be in the enclosure, on left side on a vertically mounted (separate board), separated from the remainder of the enclosure with some hefty metal (to keep any power supply noise out). The analog board would be the updated BP-26 -- possibly using the solid state analog volume controls used in the BP-16, and microprocessor controlled relays to select the input source. (Like the BP26, it would have 2 balanced inputs, 6 unbalanced inputs. (possibly eliminate the tape loop), 1 or 2 unbalanced outs, 1 balanced out). The second (possibly optional board) would be essentially a BDA-1 (minus power supply) without the output op-amps (they would not be needed as the signal from the dacs would go into the op-amps on the analog board.)

An advantage of this approach could be as much as 20 to 30db lower noise than the BP-26.

I'm not the director of engineering at Bryston, but I have met the guy (Chris Russell) and he strikes me as being very smart -- I'm sure he has thought of this -- and I wouldn't be surprised if they are considering it.

Or perhaps they just update the BP26 with the new op-amps and leave it otherwise as-is. That should be relatively quick and easy to do. (Either option would make a nice break from the difficult and long project that the SP3 has almost certainly grown into.)

-- Ian.

Robert D

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2009, 02:04 pm »
How about a Bryston Satellite Am/Fm Tuner
With all the Bells and Whistles.

We can call it a BSTAF-1

Looking forward to seening it on my Rack

That's All I'm Missing in black of course !

Robert

James, The Nad C422 Just does not fit in
Robert

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2009, 04:04 pm »

We can call it a BSTAF-1

Robert

Robert

yes, the NAD looks pale cause he is afraid of the two big 4B amps... :lol:

al.

Robert D

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jul 2009, 07:46 pm »
The Nad wants to be Upgraded to a Bryston  BSTAF-1

Robert

95Dyna

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2009, 02:51 pm »

We can call it a BSTAF-1

Robert

Robert

Great idea, Robert.  I would jump on this product like a duck on a junebug .  I too have a black Adcom GFT555 am/fm tuner sitting atop 4 pieces of shiny silver from Bryston.  Just doesn't fit in.  I would love to get rid of the intermittent multi path interference on my favorite jazz station.  No matter what I try can't seem to do it with this tuner.  We should start another thread to get James' attention! :thumb:

Bill

werd

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2009, 04:53 pm »
There are too many fm stations using mp3 file server protocol to be worth while. Very hard to find a fm station through uhf attennae or satellite that uses cd for broadcast... lo-fi source indeed.

95Dyna

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2009, 06:02 pm »
There are too many fm stations using mp3 file server protocol to be worth while. Very hard to find a fm station through uhf attennae or satellite that uses cd for broadcast... lo-fi source indeed.

Hi Werd,

I suppose this would be an individual circumstances argument.  I have 2 very good stations, one classical and one jazz, that I listen to that would justify my purchase of a high quality tuner.  Although I wouldn't put their sound quality even with CD/SACD they are anything but lo-fi (especially the classical station).  I was shocked at the improvement in soundstage, imaging and overall sound quality when I installed new 7B's and BP26P recently on the fm stations.  This is definitely not mp3 level sound.  One huge benefit is that I bet well over 50% of the titles I have bought on CD/vinyl over the years I heard on an fm station the first time.  I always have a pen and pad nearby when the tuner is on. I also enjoy the commentary that often accomanies a piece before and/or after it is played. Magnum Dynalab is doing quite well selling tuners that cost as much as $9K so I hope this indicates the fm tuner is not a bygone source.  I am sticking to my guns with Robert in thinking a high quality Bryston tuner cosmetically matching the BP26, MPS-2, BCD-1 and BDA-1 would be a welcome addition as a new product.

Regards,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2009, 06:22 pm »
HI Guys,

I guess my problem is that to do a Bryston Tuner just reinvents the wheel - what could we offer that is not already available from companies like Dynalab.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:01 pm »
HI Guys,

I guess my problem is that to do a Bryston Tuner just reinvents the wheel - what could we offer that is not already available from companies like Dynalab.

james

Hi James,

I was hoping you would ask that question.  You wouldnt try to compete with Magna Dynalab any more than they would try to compete with Bryston making amps and preamps.  The idea would be to make a Bryston level quality unit at a real world price that would out perform units costing more just like you did with the BCD-1 and BDA-1 that also matches those products cosmetically.  Bryston has a huge existing customer base and  the potential customer base is now much larger than it was a couple years ago due to the new sq amps and BCD and BDA.  If they were in the market for a tuner  they would likely buy Bryston unit without looking elsewhere.  If it gets reviewed like the BCD-1 and BDA-1 the market outside current Bryston users would become important too.  Wasn't it a bit of a leap of faith when you were considering making a CD player?  Look what Bryston and the CD loving world would have missed if it had decided against the BCD-1.

Regards,

Bill

1ZIP

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:08 pm »
I'd have to agree with James.  There are many excellent new tuners out there and as many excellent vintage tuners (Marantz 10b, Day Sequerra-Model 1, McIntosh, Kenwood, etc.) as well.  There are also more moderately priced vintage units that when restored and highly modified are equal to if not better the the multi thousand $$ new units.

That having been said I'd agree that one shouldn't underestimate the sound quality coming from a good tuner with a good signal.  I bought a cosmetically perfect TU-717, then had it restored and highly modified for audio and sensitivity.  It was well worth the $$'s spent and it fits perfectly with my all black Bryston eq.

Sasha

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:12 pm »
I would really really like to see an all Bryston, no off-shelf components in disguise, designed from scratch, music server that will have measurable jitter on its output of no more that 200ps (what is my guess for the ticket to greatness).

1ZIP

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jul 2009, 09:47 pm »
Something like the "McIntosh MS750 music server" only at a lower price?

Sasha

« Reply #36 on: 6 Jul 2009, 09:58 pm »
Something like the "McIntosh MS750 music server" only at a lower price?

Something like that, but much better performance, that one is very disappointing.

Robert D

« Reply #37 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:24 am »

We can call it a BSTAF-1

Robert

Robert

Great idea, Robert.  I would jump on this product like a duck on a junebug .  I too have a black Adcom GFT555 am/fm tuner sitting atop 4 pieces of shiny silver from Bryston.  Just doesn't fit in.  I would love to get rid of the intermittent multi path interference on my favorite jazz station.  No matter what I try can't seem to do it with this tuner.  We should start another thread to get James' attention! :thumb:

Bill
Bill,I just wonder How many People Would purchase a Bryston Am/Fm Tuner To Match There Gear. I would purchase 1 Today ! 17" in Black.

My Nad just need to be replaced !

All of My Buddy's say what that a Nad with Bryston !
I would purchase 1  today

Bill If Bryston puts there Name on a Product your Sure you only have the Best !

I just want a 17" Am/FM Tuner in Black with Balanced out puts so I can plug it in to my BP26 Balanced  1
That Says BRYSTON

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #38 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:38 am »
I forgot To Mention,
The Display on The New Bryston AM'FM Tuner Should be the Same Display as the BCD-1.
I'm Sure it's Possible, the Case the same as The BCD-1

And The Nobs, and feet same as BCD-1
It would Be Just Perfect ! in Black 17"

Robert

Stu Pitt

« Reply #39 on: 7 Jul 2009, 02:33 am »
HI Guys,

james

Couldn't the same be said about any audio product?  There are a ton of excellent CD players that your competitors released before the BCD-1.  Same goes for the BDA-1.  The SQ series?

For the record, I think Magnum Dynalab makes a hell of a product and has the high end tuner market pretty much cornered.  And for good reason.  But even they are changing a bit - 2 new receivers (they did have one or two before, but these are a bit different with DACs), and now offering to retrofit DACs into some of their tuners.

While I completely understand why people would want a Bryston tuner, I'm not sure if expensive tuners are really worth it any more.  I was reading in a few places that FM broadcasts are getting more and more compromised every day.  Compression, bandwidth restrictions, etc are increasing due to FCC regulations.  Add to that satallite radio, HD radio,and internet radio getting better in selection and bit rate.

While I know there are some tuner purists out there, I'm just trying to figure out what is the point of a source with a format is getting worse in fidelity, rather than better?  I'm not saying radio broadcast will ever become obsolete, I'm just saying its fidelity isn't getting better.

I think either Audio Advisor or Music Direct sells an internet radio tuner.  That looks like it would be a very good direction to start looking IMO.  The internet isn't going anywhere any time soon.