Bryston future products

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Bryston future products
« on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:10 pm »
James,

after presenting the BCD-1 and BDA-1 what do you think will be the next possible
Bryston product? would a ipod docking station and/or a digital stream player be an option?

al.

Robert D

Re: Bryston future products
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:35 pm »
How about a Bryston Satellite Am/Fm Tuner
With all the Bells and Whistles.

We can call it a BSTAF-1

Looking forward to seening it on my Rack

That's All I'm Missing in black of course !

Robert

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2009, 04:23 pm »
If the accounts of the pending demise of the CD format are accurate my guess is that Bryston has looked into the crystal ball and is already working on what ever it takes to address the expected future format (source).  But I would not expect to see Bryston produce anything until the new format is well established and I think that's many years down the road.  Plus given the less than stellar global economy I would not expect much for a while,  Bryston seems to be fairly conservative from a business perspective.

An AM/FM (HD) Sat tuner would be nice but there are already many excellent tuners on the market and the vintage stuff, when restored, is equal to or better than what's new.  Maybe just a Sat. device, but from what I read there are issues associated with the sound quality.  Then the financial stability by the providers seems to be stressed.

Vinyl is making a comeback, but again there are already many excellent turntables out there.

I would be interesting to peek behind the "design" doors at Bryston and what's being discussed!

joey116

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2009, 04:28 pm »
I would love to see an all in one transport...CD, DVD and Blu-ray, to compliment the SP2 \ SP3 and Brystons multi-channel amps.

MOZ

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2009, 09:30 pm »
Well,

Maybe next move from Bryston will be with digital amplification...  :wink:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2009, 01:10 am »
A turntable and an equalizer.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2009, 03:46 am »
Bryston "stand alone" audio watt meters...analogue of course!

predrag

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2009, 07:12 am »
Music server or similar most likely.
Integrated amps could be refreshed.

alexone

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2009, 09:51 am »
Music server or similar most likely.
Integrated amps could be refreshed.

yes, maybe an integrated with balanced ins?

al.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2009, 12:21 pm »
I would like to see the possible additon of "internal eq cards" based on specific speaker models.

The PMC range would seem to be the obvious starting point.

This is done by a number of companies already.

This means that you can keep the same amp but as you upgrade your speakers you can change the eq card inside the amp to siut the new curve of the speakes.

YES I undestand that every room is different, that i what room eq is for, In this case the specific speaker eq is used to aim for that perfect sound in an anechoic chamber with tat AMP / Speaker combination. It could be that a 7b SST2 may require a different curve to the next generation of the same amp when it arrives....

I need to be thinking of the future so sorry to mention the next generation after the only just released amp series !!! But it would need to start in the next generation.....

Main speaker brands such as B&W, Kef Ref, etc. could also be included........

These eq cards could also become cross over cards, in order NOT to replace the 10b these could offer fairly wide band but FIXED frequency options, this would be of use in a passive multi amp system where use of the internal speaker cross over remais but limiting the range of each amp still has an advantage.

ALSO a "DIY" card might be possible where the user can "built" the cross over points , NOT totally flexible but a range of options could be offered, maybe even with the components to do this ???

Just my suggestions, there are many others already in the thread that I also think good options, But I tried to pick a new direction for my suggestion......

All the best,

Andy.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2009, 12:23 pm »
 Copy of above by accident! deleted.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2009, 12:43 pm »
Well,

Maybe next move from Bryston will be with digital amplification...  :wink:

We have been playing around with Class D designs now for about 4 years.  We are planning on introducing a line of 'Zone' style amplifiers based on that technology in the next few months.

james

RonCH

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2009, 01:14 pm »
What about a software controlled version of the BP26. Or an update to the BP16 adding balanced connectors and an option to upgrade the power supply.

alexone

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2009, 09:42 pm »
it seems that the digital amplification will find its place in the marketplace...so let's see what Bryston has to offer here :drool:.
but i can't help myself and i am somehow convinced that the success of the BCD-1 & BDA-1 will hopefully lead to another useful digital equipment. another thing here is the fact that the software sometimes seems to be vulnerable (BDA-1 freezes, BCD-1 shows weird signs...). if it should be noise and power line problems that can be accused for these failures why doesn't it affect all the other equipment that is installed as well? so please don't get me wrong here James- we all love our Bryston equipment as we are all music lovers. but it is frustrating to send the units in again and again knowing that it will take a while until the issue is fixed and our precious piece returns. i know that Bryston will investigate and if possible eliminate any problems regarding their products.

al :wink:.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 07:15 pm by alexone »

1ZIP

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2009, 12:42 am »
This is a little off topic but what do you mean by the "BCD-1 shows wierd signs".  I know that when I first got mine is hung up a couple of times but shutting it done cleared it.  I have noted that if you rush the commands it doesn't like it and will hang-up (I don't remember which commands prompted the freeze).  But since the initial problems I had 6-7 months ago there has not been a reoccurrence. 

drummermitchell

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2009, 02:02 am »
I think my BCD-1 and BDA-1 like the connection with the Torus,they have all worked flawlessly since I've had them :thumb:.

alexone

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2009, 06:24 am »
This is a little off topic but what do you mean by the "BCD-1 shows wierd signs".  I know that when I first got mine is hung up a couple of times but shutting it done cleared it.  I have noted that if you rush the commands it doesn't like it and will hang-up (I don't remember which commands prompted the freeze).  But since the initial problems I had 6-7 months ago there has not been a reoccurrence.

hi, 1ZIP!

take a look at passlabs' posts then you know.

al.

1ZIP

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2009, 05:29 pm »
Thanks, I see what you mean now.  Haven't had the problems he encountered,  but it does not like to be rushed through commands.

alexone

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2009, 09:22 pm »
I think my BCD-1 and BDA-1 like the connection with the Torus,they have all worked flawlessly since I've had them :thumb:.

hi, drummer!
that's the question that needs to be asked here- are some BCD-1 and/or BDA-1 suffering from malfunctions by the software or not? if so...would a Torus help? :scratch:
furthermore i think that a Torus is a pretty expensive ''repairing kit'' for owners of affected cdp/dac, isn't it?
on the other hand it would be interesting to find out if there is an existing power line problem. but how to do it :o?
i don't know!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2009, 09:29 pm »
Hi Alex,

Yes that's the frustrating part for us as well. With over 1400 CD Players out there and almost 800 DAC's we have only seen maybe 3-4 software issues with the CD Player and none I am aware of with the DAC.  The first CD Player you had was kept by Sun Audio and so far in the months they have had it no issues?

We are continuing to look at it but it is difficult to address we can not duplicate the issue at Bryston.

We will keep trying.

james