Symmetrex tonearm optimal settings

n1kcha

Symmetrex tonearm optimal settings
« on: 20 Mar 2015, 06:58 pm »
Hello again

I want to ask some things as i am further tuning my mkii Amadeus.

-New symmetrex tonearm does not use a whole golf ball as previous version. It has a black part and an aluminium part. Can we assume that 1/3 of the ball is defined at about  the height of black part? The half of the ball is defined at the height of the plastic tubes that nylon enters the golf ball?

-Silicon level  in the bearing cup is (center) at 1,5 cm level. Is it too much?

-I use one counterweight (dynavector XX2) and the manual says that is  better to use weight (s) as close to the tonearm lead out cable as
practicable.  What do you think? Is it worthy to employ the second counterweight in order to bring weights closer to tonearm lead?

Thanks in advance
Nikos

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Re: Symmetrex tonearm optimal settings
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2015, 07:52 pm »
I'll chip in with go with two counterweights kept tight together not one.
1/3rd silicone level is about 1/8" below the top of the half golf ball. More silicone than that will lead to an over damped sound IMO. I go with slightly less than that probably 1/4" below top of half golf ball.
Don't over tighten any of the arm fixings. Nice and snug is perfect.
Set the azimuth up with stylus in centre of LP position.
Enjoy!

sebrof

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2015, 12:37 am »
I was reading a generic article on tonearm geometry and the part about Pivot to Spindle distance got me thinking.

I have an Amedeus MKII. While I was in the shop looking at the table for the first time I noticed the dealer hadn't set up the golf ball exactly in the center of the cup. I asked about it (as I did about 10 other things) and he said Yeah, I guess I could do a better job but I don't think it matters too much. Which has pretty much been my take on it until I read about the importance of PtS distance in the article.

So how much difference would it make if the golf ball isn't centered, which would directly and proportionally affect PtS distance? It's easy to get the ball out by 5mm or so. But what if it's off only by 2 or 3 mm?

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:04 am »
I'll chime in here with my very non-technical take. If my string, ball, or azimuth is off by a hair, something seems off to my ears. And when the powers that be visits for a listen, it seems most important to him that all parameters are perfect. He definitely hears it if they're off. Basically I've been told that if the ball isn't exactly centered the arm is not set up correctly, and that comes from Firebaugh as well.
Just because that particular dealer is a slacker doesn't mean you need be.
Now bring out the white papers and discuss while I get back to my nap...:)

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:51 am »
Just because that particular dealer is a slacker doesn't mean you need be.
Now in defense of my excellent dealer, he had just recently put it out and I don't believe he had a chance to put in the effort to get it set up perfectly. I bet if I go back it's spot on (just like mine!).  :thumb:

Now bring out the white papers and discuss while I get back to my nap...:)
Nighty night  :)

Oh yeah, thanks for the response, good stuff.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2015, 03:54 am »
Ah, the facts are more complete- glad to hear he's worth his salt.
And glad you're spot on. What cartridge are you using? Boy, good affordable cartridges are apparently becoming hard to get... demand outstripping supply.
Sorry I couldn't answer you with a high falutent technical treatise.. they only keep me around for my good looks and witty repartee..
Happy listening!

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2015, 04:26 am »
I was reading a generic article on tonearm geometry and the part about Pivot to Spindle distance got me thinking.

I have an Amedeus MKII. While I was in the shop looking at the table for the first time I noticed the dealer hadn't set up the golf ball exactly in the center of the cup. I asked about it (as I did about 10 other things) and he said Yeah, I guess I could do a better job but I don't think it matters too much. Which has pretty much been my take on it until I read about the importance of PtS distance in the article.

So how much difference would it make if the golf ball isn't centered, which would directly and proportionally affect PtS distance? It's easy to get the ball out by 5mm or so. But what if it's off only by 2 or 3 mm?

Funnily enough my dealer and the UK distributer have the same attitude as your dealer but I find that the ball centered in the cup with azimuth set as true as possible to have a positive effect on sound quality. Also I set my Versalex perfectly level on the rack. Again with a positive result.

sebrof

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm »
Ah, the facts are more complete- glad to hear he's worth his salt.
And glad you're spot on. What cartridge are you using? Boy, good affordable cartridges are apparently becoming hard to get... demand outstripping supply.
I'm using an Ortofon Rondo Red I bought new from a local dealer. LOMC, with a Klyne 6PE phono preamp.

Funnily enough my dealer and the UK distributer have the same attitude as your dealer but I find that the ball centered in the cup with azimuth set as true as possible to have a positive effect on sound quality. Also I set my Versalex perfectly level on the rack. Again with a positive result.
It's not difficult at all to adjust all the parameters to get everything aligned, although for the most part it's all eyeballing things. A friend has a Fozgometer that is supposed to help set up azimuth and he's offered it to me to try, just might take him up on it if only to see how close eyeballing azimuth can get you.