Amadeus MKII or not?

n1kcha

Amadeus MKII or not?
« on: 2 Feb 2015, 09:37 am »
Hi all

I am a new WTA owner and i would like some help.
I bought mine online because there is no distributor in my country.
I ordered WTA mkii but i have some doubt that the one i received is really a mkii.
How i determine a MKii from a Mki?
Mine has a thicker arm pilar and arm rest than the one i see in photos of mkii on WTL site and various forum photos. Tone arm appears to be the same.

Distributor offer me this explanation:
"The Mk II version is determined by the new version of the arm with only half the golf ball below and the new fixture for the arm.  We requested and had to buy some quantity of the original arm supports, which are more solid than what they use now – the thin ones from the Simplex."

What do you think? Have to worry or not?

Thanks in advance

Nikos

gagamut

ADiG

Re: Amadeus MKII or not?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2015, 10:51 am »
What you received is better because it has the tonearm pillar more robust as the arm rest (of the MK1) - and also the mirror!
Welcome with Amadeus!  :thumb:

n1kcha

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2015, 11:26 am »
Hi all and thanks for your help!

Actually i contacted WTL and confirmed that is a MK II and better than that!  :D

Initially i am going to test it with a Denon DL-110. This choice is determined mainly by my Plinius Jarrah vintage phono amp that supports medium output MC cartridges and low output MM (0,8mv sensitivity). I ll see how it  goesand then  decide if i need a better cartridge/phono combo.

Nikos

« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2015, 12:31 pm by n1kcha »

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2015, 12:03 pm »
I've seen slightly different pictures of the MK II that vary from the pic that gagamut linked to.

Examples are mirror or not - my MK II does have a mirror, that pic does not
Fat or skinny pillar- mine is skinny
black or silver donut (I'm not sure what it's called, the black piece that the tonearm hangs from) - mine is silver metal and the pic shows black and I believe rubber.

The consistent thing on all MK II pics I have seen is that the golf ball is covered with the silver metal piece.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2015, 03:34 pm »
Yes the relevant factor is the arm. The latest Symmetrex is half golf ball half metal as opposed to all golf ball. The new arm is a nice upgrade especially with the better quality cartridges! Happy listening.

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2015, 07:18 pm »
Yes the relevant factor is the arm. The latest Symmetrex is half golf ball half metal as opposed to all golf ball. The new arm is a nice upgrade especially with the better quality cartridges! Happy listening.
Besides the half golf ball, what's the difference between the MK I and MK II arms?

watercourse

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2015, 08:36 pm »
When I asked Mike Pranka about this, he said the differences in the new arm boiled down to a lowered center of gravity. This would likely have some positive effects on tracking, but the Mk I arm is no slouch in this department.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2015, 09:31 pm »
Too bad those new WTL arms cannot fit on the WTC.
Wonder if someone has designed a way to retrofit the new WTL arms to the older WTC tables?

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2015, 10:44 pm »
this couldn't be fitted on an old WTC?

http://www.welltemperedlab.net/welltemperedlab/products/ltdtonearm/

Maybe build a little plinth for it the way folks do for dual arm setups? Then you could have a mono arm and a stereo arm!

ADiG

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2015, 11:59 am »
curiosity:
 anyone knows the meaning of the letters G T A ?

Thanks

TimF

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:28 pm »
Great Turntable Alright! Sorry, I've no clue at all.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2015, 07:46 pm »
The Amadeus GTA is constructed with a two pieced damped aluminium/acrylic sandwich base of exactly the same dimensions as the Amadeus with a substantial weight of 16.5kg. The Amadeus GTA MKII features the LTD tonearm in the new Symmetrex configuration.

ADiG

« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2015, 07:20 am »
Thank you, I know that.
I have the GTA for 3 years, but I do not know the meaning of the letters of G. T. A. (spelling)
It 'just a curiosity, thanks

ADiG
A - Armando
Di - Di
G - Gennaro
 :D

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2015, 11:49 am »
GTA doesn't have to be an acronym Armando. In the UK more than one car manufactures use the GTA or GTI logo as a symbol of improved performance. That I would suggest is what the guys at WTL intended here!

ADiG

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2015, 08:48 am »
a bit as the car version Gran Tourism  :green: