Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)

tricka

Re: Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jul 2012, 07:53 am »
Yes, perhaps - and I am speculating - 19 degrees is incorrect and 9 degrees is correct.

Anyway I like what I am hearing. Perhaps others can explain the inconsistency.

gagamut

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jul 2012, 10:03 am »
Hi Andrew,
you use 9 degree offset angle,is it because you heard a distortion from 19 degrees offset angle??and most distortion is from inside track??

Hi James'
the null point is really close to the Lable,but it is exactly right. 

Regards
Sam

tricka

« Reply #62 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:09 pm »
you use 9 degree offset angle,is it because you heard a distortion from 19 degrees offset angle??and most distortion is from inside track??

Nothing so complex - I align with the grid because it sounds better.

Sonny

« Reply #63 on: 17 Jul 2012, 04:26 pm »
Hm...so much for the "set it and forget it" motto of the Amadeus... :scratch:

threadkiller

« Reply #64 on: 17 Jul 2012, 04:51 pm »
Sonny, I disagree.  It still is. And it's excellent.  :lol:

Sonny

« Reply #65 on: 17 Jul 2012, 04:57 pm »
Sonny, I disagree.  It still is. And it's excellent.  :lol:

I am sure it is...but what I meant was that it was supposed to be factory set!

threadkiller

« Reply #66 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:06 pm »
And that's what I meant. It is.  Firebaugh did all the work already.

jshefik

« Reply #67 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:15 pm »
What no one has answered yet is why is the 19 degree angle we have been told is correct, and the grid from the manual, in such disagreement? Anyone?

Sonny

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:20 pm »
What no one has answered yet is why is the 19 degree angle we have been told is correct, and the grid from the manual, in such disagreement? Anyone?

Poor translation from AUSTRALIAN to ENGLISH???  :scratch:

threadkiller

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:21 pm »
I have no idea....although the manual isn't much, to be sure.  Have you ever looked at Firebaugh's paper that, I believe, is listed on the WTL site, on how and why he positioned the headshell to be where it is?  Maybe that will clarify for some of you.  Otherwise, as usual, I'm clueless.

Erocka2000

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:33 pm »
Has anyone else used a protractor to see what the angle is on their arm?

gagamut

« Reply #71 on: 18 Jul 2012, 02:04 am »
I have no idea....although the manual isn't much, to be sure.  Have you ever looked at Firebaugh's paper that, I believe, is listed on the WTL site, on how and why he positioned the headshell to be where it is?  Maybe that will clarify for some of you.  Otherwise, as usual, I'm clueless.
here is WT blog'http://welltemperedlab.wordpress.com/'
everything we can find from the blog :D

tricka

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jul 2012, 10:08 am »
well..all I can say is give the grid alignment a go and see what you think. No voodoo happens. You don't grow horns.

Its about 9 degrees on the protractor.

Erocka2000

« Reply #73 on: 20 Jul 2012, 02:01 pm »
I just rechecked my alignment with a real protractor last night (instead of a paper one :( )  and it is about 9-10 degrees, after using the alignment grid.  Everything sounds great, and it looks right, when you see it in a groove on a spinning record. 

doak

« Reply #74 on: 22 Jul 2012, 12:24 am »
Since I recently changed cartridges I rechecked setup with the alignment grid --- thankfully it appears to be very close to "right on the money."

My Decca London Super Gold lost a channel and will be on it's way to Mr. Wright in the UK shortly.   I took my Audio Technica AT33PTG out of retirement and setup went well and quickly -- may still play a bit more with SRA.  This is the first time I've heard this cartridge (which I LOVED on my modded NAS Spacedeck) on the WTA.  What I found out is that I've never really heard just how good the AT33PTG can sound.  It sounds SO good that that I'm kinda dragging my feet on getting the Decca repaired --- I like what I'm hearing so much I just am not in any hurry.

Doak

mick wolfe

« Reply #75 on: 22 Jul 2012, 02:00 am »
I had the same revelation occur when my Soundsmith SMMC2 left my Spacearm/Interspace for the Amadeus. A difference animal for sure on the WTA.

threadkiller

« Reply #76 on: 22 Jul 2012, 03:26 am »
I love to hear this... Thanks for posting that.

gagamut

« Reply #77 on: 23 Jul 2012, 08:25 am »
I just rechecked my alignment with a real protractor last night (instead of a paper one :( )  and it is about 9-10 degrees, after using the alignment grid.  Everything sounds great, and it looks right, when you see it in a groove on a spinning record.
Hi,i don't know what's that meaning '9-10 degrees'or 'real protractor ',can take a photo or more detail,thanks

Sam

jshefik

« Reply #78 on: 23 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm »
Hi,i don't know what's that meaning '9-10 degrees'or 'real protractor ',can take a photo or more detail,thanks

Sam
Sam,

Go to your post on the top of page 3 of this thread, I posted a picture of how I interpreted the stated correct angle of 19 degrees just after it ( when I dug this thread back up) After lining cart to grid headshell angle twisted closed to reflect 9-10 degrees. Still no one has answered the question on this number/ grid discrepancy.

James

drubin

« Reply #79 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:13 pm »
Where did the 19 degrees figure come from?

I have to reiterate a question James asked me, which is why the angle is adjustable at all if WTA is so confident in its fixed position.  And wouldn't the integrity of the arm-cartridge coupling be improved if the arm wand were one piece instead of two?