X-on wall build

AlexH

X-on wall build
« on: 1 Dec 2021, 12:54 am »
Hi all.

I was not going to post this because honestly I think they turned out very ugly. Not because of Danny's design, but because I built them to blend in with the room. I normally like my speakers to be seen as well as heard, but I have a lot of stuff on the wall of my viewing area and I wanted the speakers to blend in with the walls. In the end I wish I had done my normal over the top veneer and wood ascents, but here they are any way. I decided to post these because they sound very good and no one else has posted anything about this design. I really like the way these sound and they have been a very nice addition to my home theater.

Crossover twisted up and ready to go. One thing to consider is there is not much room at the bottom of this cabinet.

Cabinets primed and ready for paint.

GR Research name badges done and ready.

I decided to make my own faux tube connectors for this build. I drilled out the stock connectors with a 1/16 drill bit. The wire coming from the x-over actully ends up making contact with the incoming speaker wire.

Boxes painted and X-overs installed. The color of the boxes match the walls of my room, I thought they would blend in this way.  Yes!! I painted them with latex wall paint.

I used adhesive backed felt on the back side. I thought this might keep them from rattling against the wall.

Drivers installed and ready to hang on the wall.

A couple of pics of the room after the X-on walls have been installed.

I am very happy with the improvements these have made in my systeml  These replaced some Klipsch dipole speakers. Needless to say the Klipsch could not even compare to Danny's design. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: X-on wall build
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:10 am »
Very cool!  They look great! 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:15 am »
Actually the white with stealth black picks up the black print on the white wall of your decor very nicely.  I think they look amazing in that room.

subsonic1050

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:31 am »
Yeah I'm not really sure why you don't like the way they look - they look great to me! Best looking surround speakers I've seen and I'm sure the best sounding as well.

AlexH

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2021, 12:32 pm »
Maybe I should have not said ugly as much as just boring. I like the shape of the cabinet and they do blend in with the wall, which was my plan. I normally like to do my speakers in some type of exotic veneer.
Thanks for the complements.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2021, 12:43 pm »
They look great! Been looking for these plans.

Also, tip for anyone in the future… Space the coils out more! Yup! You’ve got the room, put them further apart! Metal next to metal, caps and such can play with inductance! Otherwise, I think they look bad ass!

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:39 pm »
Something to consider with your surround speakers positioned upwards, they will collect dust. You may want to consider fabricating a pair of grill's, to protect them, when not in use. I have to dust off my surrounds periodically, even though they're not this design. For me, I wouldn't want dust or any debris collecting on my drivers that would be exposed. Hope you don't have cats, they would use this as a landing strip! LOL

Glad to see a example of this design, I'm considering building some eventually in my room. Keep us posted on your listening experience with them.

I hope this topic will also inspire others to contribute more information on these particular surround speakers. I'm sure many others, like me, are seriously considering these surrounds for their rooms.

I also like how they integrate with the room. If you do build grills, black or dark brown grills would blend well with your décor nicely.

Thanks for posting your project. :thumb:

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:48 pm »
I think they look great!   I almost went the veneer route with mine, too, but the black blended well with the acoustic panels.

Mine also replaced Klipsch speakers.   HUGE difference in quality and clarity.

Also, tip for anyone in the future… Space the coils out more! Yup! You’ve got the room, put them further apart! Metal next to metal, caps and such can play with inductance! Otherwise, I think they look bad ass!

Another crossover for comparison:

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2021, 04:05 pm »
Your surrounds look terrific, I like speakers that blend in.

If you want a challenge (and double the cost) make my double trapezoid surround speakers. No plans available, that's the fun part.

Trapezoid surround with Tiad Inwall Bronze/4 Surround used as Atmos speaker

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2021, 10:58 pm »
Alex, those look great!