Grungebuster Turntable Mat for SME?

jamesg11

Grungebuster Turntable Mat for SME?
« on: 10 Oct 2018, 11:27 pm »
I’ve got an SME 20/2A - is this mat applicable to this turntable as well?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Grungebuster Turntable Mat for SME?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2018, 05:38 pm »
I’ve got an SME 20/2A - is this mat applicable to this turntable as well?

Hi, jamesg11. I don't have have any feedback regarding the SME 20/2A specifically, though other customers with different models of SME turntables use the Way Excellent II mat as opposed to the Grungebuster Turntable Mat. The Grungebuster Turntable Mat is primarily for use with matless acrylic-platter turntables: the SME 20/2A uses a vinyl or rubber mat, so the Way Excellent II should work just as well and due to the lower price point is the default recommendation. A 295mm-diameter Way Excellent II-3mm Turntable Mat should fit, though it's best to check the diameter of the platter and thickness of the stock mat to be sure.

Best regards,

Robert Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

jamesg11

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2018, 06:34 am »
Thanks Robert,

Apparently (just did a search) SME use Isodamp - SD125, 3mm - fused to the platter. Maybe no uptick then in adding extra layer ...

Jim.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2018, 10:40 pm »
Thanks Robert,

Apparently (just did a search) SME use Isodamp - SD125, 3mm - fused to the platter. Maybe no uptick then in adding extra layer ...

Jim.

Hi, Jim. If you can adjust tonearm height/VTA to accomodate it, you could use a Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat on top of the stock mat. We have a few customers that I know of using a 2mm mat on top of
stock rubber mats with good results.

-Rob