Could someone with the Back To The Future set confirm no DTS

bubba966

Does the BTTF trilogy boxset really not have DTS tracks for the films? The set I bought from Australia about 5 months ago does have DTS, and from what I can tell the rest of the world got DTS tracks as well. Just no DTS here in the US.

As I don't know anyone around here that's got a copy yet I'm hoping one of you guys has got a copy. While there's no mention of it on the packaging, that doesn't really mean much of anything as I've seen mis-marked DVD's on more than one occasion.

Ferdi

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2003, 09:42 am »
Hi Bubba, I can confirm that my European version (R2 and R4) has DTS. I tried to find out if the R1 version had and found this:

http://www.playserver4.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=104528

At least DTS is not mentioned. Really silly to put all this work into the sound and then not publish it in part of the world....

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2003, 03:21 pm »
I played mine and it's only DD 5.1, I didn't know about the DTS ones.
That seems very odd to me.

rongcon

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2003, 06:24 pm »
Bubba,

Region 1 BTTF doesn't have DTS.  The director decided to take out DTS to reserved more space for special features/documentary.  An email from director to explain his decision about this matter was posted in Hometheaterforum.com few weeks ago.  To summarize, he didn't notice much different or any different at all between DTS and DD5.1 in the mixing room.  Therefore he decided take out DTS and put in more special features/documentary.

Duy.

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2003, 06:51 pm »
I am holding off on the BTTF not because of no DTS but the bad framing problems on Part II and III.  Universal knew about this and decided not to tell the public until after they bought the disks.  They will be offering a trade in for the faulty disks in February.  As for me I will be waiting until they have been fixed and pick it up then.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2003, 08:55 pm »
Quote from: rongcon
Bubba,

Region 1 BTTF doesn't have DTS.  The director decided to take out DTS to reserved more space for special features/documentary.  An email from director to explain his decision about this matter was posted in Hometheaterforum.com few weeks ago.  To summarize, he didn't notice much different or any different at all between DTS and DD5.1 in the mixing room.  Therefore he decided take out DTS and put in more special features/documentary.

Duy.

As far as I know all of the extras on the R1 version are on the R2 & R4 versions. I'm having a hard time believing that the DTS was left off for additional features.

I would bet that Universal didn't care to pay for the DTS licensing for the large amount of R1 titles they were pressing. The average Joe in the US doesn't care about DTS if they even know what DTS is anyway. And by the amount of "warning" pages I see on DTS titles I'm betting that the average consumer in this county doesn't know what DTS is.

True, in my experiences with DTS remasters on a film that was filmed prior to DD/DTS/CDS/SDDS that DTS & DD sound virtually undistinguishable from each other. So a lack of DTS on BTTF probably really isn't much of a big deal.

The framing fiasco wasn't resolved beforehand so that they could make more $ around the holidays. And I'm betting that the lack of DTS was just another way Universal could add to their bottom line...

Ferdi

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2003, 09:13 pm »
Hi, what is supposed to be wrong with the "framing disaster"? I just don't know what that means.  I watched all 3 of the movies on 1 weekend and must say I didn't really see anything wrong. (I have the R2/4 version though.)

Ferdi