Any interest in auditionning the Von Schweikert db-99?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Everyone,

I was speaking with the Von Schweikert rep this week and he indicated that he has a demo pair of the db-99 speaker in Corvette Red.

He said if anyone was interested in getting together, he'd be willing to travel to my place so that we could have a listening session.

My main room is not super huge, but I think it will accomodate these speakers rather well.

For all the low powered tube fans out there, or if anyone is curious, please let me know if you are interested in hearing this speaker.  Since it's a custom model, it's not often you will get the opportunity to hear this without putting down the cash up front.

This is not a sales pitch!!  This is not a ploy to get you trapped at my place and then give you the hard sell on these things :)  but if anyone is interested in this type of speaker, here's a chance to hear it in home setting no strings attached.  Anyone is welcome to bring along their own equipment to try out with the speakers.

Let me know if you are interested and what dates are good for you all to get together.  Thanks!

Shane

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:12 pm »
I'd certainly love to hear them!  I am always somewhat seduced by low powered gear, and great high-sensitivity speakers.  They are very pricey though, and it's doubtful I could afford them even if I liked them.

BrunoB

Re: Any interest in auditionning the Von Schweikert db-99?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2004, 12:00 am »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
Everyone,

I was speaking with the Von Schweikert rep this week and he indicated that he has a demo pair of the db-99 speaker in Corvette Red.

He said if anyone was interested in getting together, he'd be willing to travel to my place so that we could have a listening session.

My main room is not super huge, but I think it will accomodate these speakers rather well.

For all the low powered tube fans out there, or if anyone is curious, please let me know if you are interested in hearing this speak ...

Here is the link: http://www.vonschweikert.com/db99_speaker.html

Claimed sensitivity is 98-99 db/ 1w /1m . Amazing.

Oh yes, now I understand where the name of the speaker is coming from ...

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2004, 11:30 am »
This is a very interesting take on the 'high efficiency' angle, isn't it?   I don't claim to understand a lot about speaker design, but how is the 'power booosted bass system' not just a powered sub integrated with a two way up top? I can send a sub a high-level (speaker level) signal too, but it doesn't make the sub amp mimic the 'tone, speed, and other characteristics' of the main amp I'm using, even though it too 'derives its signal from the (main amp's) output section!'.

Nonetheless, I am interested in hearing both the sound and the explanation  :)   Even if it is 'only' a 99db sensitive speaker with a reasonably high/flat impedance curve, it does present an easy load to the amp.  BTW, 8 ohm nominal is not all that high (as hi-eff speakers go anyway), but how flat is the curve - both in terms of impedance and phase angle?,

The prospect of being able to integrate it into an HT is particularly intriguing for me.  Are they developing a matching center?  If he'd like to bring a pair to my house for the next meeting after this and integrate in my theater room, you could twist my arm  :wink:

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2004, 10:14 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
This is a very interesting take on the 'high efficiency' angle, isn't it?   I don't claim to understand a lot about speaker design, but how is the 'power booosted bass system' not just a powered sub integrated with a two way up top? I can send a sub a high-level (speaker level) signal too, but it doesn't make the sub amp mimic the 'tone, speed, and other characteristics' of the main amp I'm using, even though it too 'derives its signal from the (main amp's) output section!'.

Nonetheless, I am interested  ...

Very good points.... I owe Albert a call on this one to discuss with him what is actually going on here.... it certainly sounds like a speaker level connection to a sub amp... filter off the low end to drive the bass driver and pass the rest on to the midrange and tweeter.  And I certainly haven't heard a sub plate amp that sounded like a 300B :)

I'll let you know what is discussed.  But I am curious to hear them irregardless....