Poll

With what frequency and coordination effort would you like to meet?

Monthly, arranged date
1 (16.7%)
Monthly, Zen scheduling
2 (33.3%)
Bi-monthly, arranged date
3 (50%)
I was hoping we'd all move in together and do this continuously
0 (0%)
Once was plenty
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: 22 Feb 2004, 11:50 am

Frequency of future gatherings

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« on: 22 Feb 2004, 11:50 am »
With what frequency would you like to meet?  With what coordination effort? (ie Try to arrange a date for best attendance, or have standing dates and whoever comes comes, and it'll come out in the wash over a period of time)

I expect the choice of frequency will interrelate with how ambitious the content is going to be.  IE, lots of gear to organize/bring/rearrange/compare or more free-form listening and BS sessions.

All of you selecting the fourth option need to identify yourselves so appropriate legal notices can be mailed to the neighbors  :wink:

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2004, 04:12 pm »
I think the type of event will determine the amount of gear and time needed.  If it's a to be mainly a comparison of gear, no more than 4 pieces will be able to be done.  So, 3 amps, and a pair of cables... or 2 amps and 2 integrated's... etc.

I like the 'free-form listening and BS sessions' but, I like having some science to the comparisons... so, I voted for a combo.  It's too hard to it all at one time.  I would've also liked to play some new music so, I think a new music session is a great idea.

Also, making it a combination will keep people interested since there would be a rotation to the subject matter.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2004, 05:42 pm »
I too think it would be a good idea to have a specific focus of each meeting.  That way we could add a little bit of science in there as well to come to some form of conclusion.

Unlike myself where she is far busier than I, I know others are often restricted by significant others and plans they have outside of audio/video.  So having more frequent meetings will likely result in fewer people attending each one, but it will also afford some people the opportunity to come that otherwise wouldn't make it if it was only one infrequent date.

I suggest having themes, or specific gear comparisons.  I know yesterday was supposed to be a preamp comparison.  We can try to do something like that again.  Some other ideas:

Speaker shootout
Cables shootout
DIY speaker builders bring along their creations for others to judge and give feedback
DVD Audio vs. SACD vs. Redbook comparison
Multichannel music listening session
Video session
Multi channel prepro shootout for two channel tolerability ***

*** I know pretty much everyone there yesterday was doing strictly two channel.  But a lot of people I've met recently are wanting to do home theater as well.  Unfortunately, they aren't lucky enough to have two rooms to do their home theater and two channel seperately.   Plus, as we go more and more to multi channel audio, I'm curious what out there still sounds good in two channel stereo mode....

new music day - everyone bring in bands they think are great and play them for the group.
beer and wine shootout - I know which one I'll pick :)

I know there is more, but I'll leave it there....  curious to hear others thoughts on the subject....

claud

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2004, 06:43 pm »
As a planning member Of CAS, I proposed the system crawl meeting which has been popular. If we knew actually where each active member resided, then we could plan to visit at least two homes/systems a meeting. I think for the most part, we are all in the RTP area except one. We could listen at one home late morning for a couple of hours, then lunch/beer, then listen at another.
Its fun, and you get to see how your system compares to others to give you direction for tweaking.
I live in Raleigh, near Crabtree Vally Mall.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2004, 08:12 pm »
Claud,

That's a great idea!  I'm just off of six forks about a mile or so north of Lynn/Spring Forest.  We're only about 10 minutes with traffic lights apart!

Shane

Hantra

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2004, 09:10 pm »
I need to have another meeting like RIGHT NOW.  I am about to go pick up those Rowland 201's, and would love to throw them on the Bel Canto.  ;-)