Listening Session Feb. 21st

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: TIME
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:47 am »
Quote from: Carlman

Let me know if you'd like me to order pizza.... you can have lunch when you get to my place.  Just a thought.

-Carl
Hey Carl , Since it's the "Inaugural" meeting of the NC Audiophiles...how 'bout Champagne and Caviar for all !! :lol:

vrao81

« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:54 am »
Hi, I live in Raleigh and would like to come to this meet. I can bring my Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers if you'd like. Anyway PM me with details.

Hantra

Re: TIME
« Reply #22 on: 19 Feb 2004, 01:17 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Hey Carl , Since it's the "Inaugural" meeting of the NC Audiophiles...how 'bout Champagne and Caviar for all !! :lol:

Hey, thanks a lot Lonewolf!  You can Next Day it to us on dry ice, and it should be just fine.  Looking forward to it. . .

:lol:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Monitor Audio Bronze B2
« Reply #23 on: 19 Feb 2004, 01:36 pm »
Quote from: vrao81
Hi, I live in Raleigh and would like to come to this meet. I can bring my Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers if you'd like. Anyway PM me with details.

I just modified the crossover on a pair of those. You should consider doing that for your pair. The stock crossover uses really cheap parts and isn't optimally executed.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Listening session
« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2004, 08:00 pm »
Sorry that I cannot make it on Saturday. I have some new designs that I would like to get some feedback on. Maybe next time.

Rick

Carlman

« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2004, 09:08 pm »
Here's where we stand:
Confirmed to arrive:
BrunoB/Bruno: Sharp digital
Carl (me): see below
Hantra/Brandon and Shawn: Audio PC
HomeTheaterDoc/Shane: Bel Canto Evo2 and DAC2
Inscrutable/Tim
Tswinter/Tim W: 2-way DIY speakers
VRA081/Vik

The above list is confirmed.

Pizza will be served around noon....

Here's what I'll have:

Preamps:
Eastern Electric Minimax preamp
Decware ZTPre
Acoustic Research SP9

Digital:
Eastern Electric CD player
Modwright Pioneer DVD transport/ Museatex/Meitner bitstream DAC

Speakers:
Green Mountain Europa Monitors
GR Research Criterions

Adire sub w/ Hypex 200w and RAD cabinet

Cables:
All audience IC/speaker, Belden or stock PC's.

Racks:
Ikea Lack tables

Room treatments:
Modified room divider acting as 8th Nerve floorstander type device;
Home made 'seams' for room corners, 8th Nerve 'corners' for ceiling to wall corners, and acoustic tile treatments.

Hantra

« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2004, 09:39 pm »
Guys:

If you want to hear the PC, I will be glad to bring it.  It's no hassle, really.  Some people are not as enthsiastic about it.  So let me know before tomorrow. . .

Pizza's good with me.  No veggies.  ;-)

Carlman

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2004, 09:49 pm »
I'll have a variety of pizza... veggie, meaty, cheezy, etc.

I think Hantra should bring the PC but, if you can, come a little early so we can work out the semantics of how we're going to work it in and out of the system.

-C

Hantra

« Reply #28 on: 20 Feb 2004, 08:00 pm »
OK. . I'll call you in the morning. . .

mojoman

« Reply #29 on: 20 Feb 2004, 11:27 pm »
Man I wish I could make it to this but I have other plans for tomorrow. I'd love to hear the  Europas.

You guys have fun.

Maybe we could have an outting to the Cats Cradle to see Tiff Merritt in April.  Live music is still the best music.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2004, 01:22 am »
Carl,
Would you mind if I bring another audiofool friend?  He's a bottlehead too if that helps :wink:

Mojoman,
We decided to stay in town and see her at Cat's Cradle instead of going out to Asheville, so I'd love to meet up.  I'll probably have a group.

Carlman

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2004, 01:34 am »
That's fine... I think that's 8 people... which is great! ...however, I think we're at the limit on how much gear we can hear...

I'm going to try and organize the listening so that we can compare and take notes between gear.  I have such a small room, though... only 3 people can be in there at a time.  So, I'll try to let people decide what is important to compare/hear so that everyone doesn't have to wait to hear the same comparisons.  It'll make more sense tomorrow. (I hope) ;)

-Carl

claud

« Reply #32 on: 21 Feb 2004, 03:58 am »
I'm Inscrut's friend that he is bringing. Do you want another preamp? I could bring my Cary SLP 2002.
claud

vrao81

« Reply #33 on: 21 Feb 2004, 04:48 am »
I have an old NAD 1020 preamp I can bring along if needed. Its an old piece of crap but it still works. It won't hold a candle to the pre's that you guys have but we can have fun laughing at it.  :lol:

Carlman

« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2004, 03:33 pm »
I think we'll run out of time trying to compare any more gear.  There will be other times... no need to try to compare everything in one day.

Glad to see such enthusiasm!

... what doesn't get compared today can get compared at the next person's place.  Volunteers are welcome to chime in with a time and place!

-Carl

Inscrutable

« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2004, 04:02 pm »
I'll definitely volunteer.  I can pack 'em in upstairs - 500 sf.  We'll talk about it today.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2004, 05:02 pm »
:beer:  Have Fun !!

Carlman

« Reply #37 on: 22 Feb 2004, 02:20 am »
Wow, what a day.  It started at noon and ended at 7:30.  There's too much to type for now but, I will update soon.  Everyone else that attended, please feel free to chime in with your comments.

I would like to thank everyone that brought gear, the booze, the great attitudes, and added to what I think was an EXCELLENT day.

It was great to see everyone and meet new enthusiasts.  

A special thanks to Lonewolf for the Champagne!!!! :beer:  Wow, that was a great surprise and was much appreciated.  Most people were drinking beer or non-alcoholic stuff so, Brandon, Shawn, and myself hoarded it. ;)

We didn't get to do as much scientific comparison as I'd hoped but, I'll make some reviews of what I know soon.  I hope others chime in with their impressions before their audio memory fades.

Thanks again,
Carl

Chris_B

« Reply #38 on: 22 Feb 2004, 06:22 am »
Come on Carlman, did the boys like the Europas or what? :)  We are looking forward to the reports.  It sounds like you guys has a great time.

Inscrutable

« Reply #39 on: 22 Feb 2004, 11:28 am »
Carl,

Thanks so much for hosting this event.  While I didn't get much time for actual auditions, it was a great pleasure meeting and chatting with all of you.  Did the other Tim ever resurface, or do we have an all-points out for him?  And who won the raffle for his RTA?  :wink:

7:30?!  Wow, we didn't quite make it even HALF way through!  Guess that's the way it goes with so much to hear.

As I mentioned, I would be happy to host the next one, or some future one.  I have a few things going on at the house and a fair number of out-of-town commitments in March, so I probably couldn't host until April.

I'm going to post several polls regarding frequency, days, times, and content/format.  Hantra, if it's just too much pressure you can just go with the flow.  :wink:

Thanks again Carl, and look forward to seeing all of you again.