Wyred 4 Sound DAC details announced, incl. release dates

roscoeiii

Re: Wyred 4 Sound DAC details announced, incl. release dates
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2010, 08:50 pm »
Yeah, I would love to be able to hear one of these at AKFest.

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2010, 09:08 pm »
golfugh,

Any mention of which transports would be getting this mod? A mod available for any transport?

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2010, 11:01 pm »
Well I have a 18 year old Sony 5 disc changer (C77ES) that EJ said they could mod to fit the DAC, although it's probably not worth the expense to do so...but that lead me to believe there are plans to mod those transports capable of the mod.

It wasn't EJ, but someone else I spoke with at Cullen (can't remember his name for the life of me - not Ric or Patrick) said they were going to be moding transports for just this purpose and also planning an I2S mod for the Sonos ZP90, but that the design was in it's infancy (both the transport and Sonos mods).

I've been following this DAC and also the Antelope for quite some time.  I've been researching my future music server and it's associated DAC rather extensively as of late.  Yes I'm what is known as a "late adopter" of computer audio.

Mark

Jon L

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2010, 11:23 pm »
The lack of standardized I2S connection is a shame, shame, shame.  Unfortunately, no manufacturer seems remotely interested in actually submitting and getting a standard established. 

I really wish PS Audio had used one of the existing connectors, preferably the RJ45 connector that's used by several I2S implementations already instead of coming up with the HDMI connector, which has nothing to do with superior audio transmission. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 4 Apr 2010, 12:23 am »
The lack of standardized I2S connection is a shame, shame, shame.  Unfortunately, no manufacturer seems remotely interested in actually submitting and getting a standard established. 

I really wish PS Audio had used one of the existing connectors, preferably the RJ45 connector that's used by several I2S implementations already instead of coming up with the HDMI connector, which has nothing to do with superior audio transmission.

Agreed.  Just what we need, another standard!!

tvyankee

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #26 on: 4 Apr 2010, 12:35 am »
hello,

we are,  http://www.aprilmusic.com/main/sub02_02_03.html
            http://www.aprilmusic.com/main/sub02_02_01.html
            http://www.aprilmusic.com/main/sub02_03_02.html

three really good products with i2s.

You misunderstood.  We weren't against I-squared-S per se (heck, I used I2S back in the Audio Alchemy days), just the decision to use a proprietary implementation of HDMI to carry it!
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2010, 01:37 am by ted_b »

tvyankee

« Reply #27 on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:00 am »
sorry, thanks

mchuckp

« Reply #28 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:34 pm »
Not sure if anyone here can tell for sure from the info that has been given so far, but I'm wondering if I will be able to play 24/96 downloads from HDTracks through the coaxial input. My plan is to use this DAC with the upcoming Squeezebox Touch. 

srb

« Reply #29 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:44 pm »
Not sure if anyone here can tell for sure from the info that has been given so far, but I'm wondering if I will be able to play 24/96 downloads from HDTracks through the coaxial input. My plan is to use this DAC with the upcoming Squeezebox Touch.

Based on the Sabre ES9018 DAC chip, I cannot imagine that it would not play up to 24/192 through the S/PDIF coaxial input.

The only limitation should be the 16/48 through the USB input on the base model (and that will be future upgradeable to 24/96).

Steve

tvyankee

« Reply #30 on: 6 Apr 2010, 02:59 am »
you can play it thru the april music stuff no problem

mchuckp

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:22 am »
Just got word from UnderwoodWally that my DAC-1 will ship mid-week. :)  Very interested to see if it outperforms the Oppo 983 SE.

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:29 am »

And a lot of us here are very interested in how the Wyred and Oppo SE compare as well.

Now we just need to find someone comparing it to the Eastern Electric Sabre DAC and the dB Tranquility DAC...

mchuckp

« Reply #33 on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:26 am »
And a lot of us here are very interested in how the Wyred and Oppo SE compare as well.

Now we just need to find someone comparing it to the Eastern Electric Sabre DAC and the dB Tranquility DAC...

If there is anyone within a few hours of Salem, OR, I'm more than interested in testing out the W4S against the EE or any other DAC that you may have.  The performance of the Oppo 983 SE is what has me intrigued by both the EE and W4S DACs.  I'm VERY happy with my Oppo.

mchuckp

« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2010, 05:28 am »
My W4S DAC-1 shipped today and will arrive Friday.  I'll be across the country at AK Fest but will be dying to try it out upon my return on sunday.  I guess I will post my impressions in this thread since Wyred doesn't have a forum here.

Audioclyde

« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:52 pm »
I'd love to hear a comparison of the W4S DAC and the EE also; agonizing over choosing between the W4S DAC2 and the EE (I want both high res from USB output & a tubed output stage, so either choice is a compromise....).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:58 pm »
I'd love to hear a comparison of the W4S DAC and the EE also; agonizing over choosing between the W4S DAC2 and the EE (I want both high res from USB output & a tubed output stage, so either choice is a compromise....).

Agree.  But I went with the less expensive based on some trusted AC'ers whose ears I trust using the EE and tube/SS output options.  I also trust Wyred to do it right.

Audioclyde

« Reply #37 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:18 pm »
Agree.  But I went with the less expensive based on some trusted AC'ers whose ears I trust using the EE and tube/SS output options.  I also trust Wyred to do it right.

I'm leaning that way too; I love what tubes do on digital sources, even tho I use a SET integrated for pwr.  Plus I already have a HiFace, so I can get high res to the DAC that way......

roscoeiii

« Reply #38 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:24 pm »
Preview of DAC2 is up on 6moons...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred4/dac.html

srb

« Reply #39 on: 9 May 2010, 05:14 am »
I am interested to hear upcoming user reviews on the W4S DAC-1/DAC-2, as I am interested in a DAC with good circuit design and implementation that sounds fantastic to the majority of people right out of the box, without modifications.

A discrete, non-modifiable (without surgery) output stage is refreshing, as it can get tiresome hearing about the never ending search for the perfect combination of tubes and opamps.

Swapping 20 tubes in and out until it is decided that the Northern Himalayan black mesh plate D-getter is the right tube might be a fun "hobby" for some, but not really what I'm looking for.

Steve