Products YOU want reviewed! (2010)

whell

Re: Products YOU want reviewed! (2010)
« Reply #80 on: 13 Jul 2010, 06:43 pm »
If someone hasn't suggested this: http://www.classdaudio.com/

There's an on-going thread here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0

firedog

« Reply #81 on: 14 Jul 2010, 09:48 am »
+1

We've been asking for this. Does anyone know what the holdup is?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #82 on: 14 Jul 2010, 11:40 am »
How about a shoot out of affordable pre-amps (tubes and solid state)?

And I'd like to see the review archives also sorted out by equipment types.

Thanks for asking/listening.

firedog

« Reply #83 on: 16 Jul 2010, 09:02 am »
M2Tech Hiface EVO

compare to Empircal Offramp and standard Hiface

Jehuty

« Reply #84 on: 16 Jul 2010, 12:56 pm »
Lenehan ML-1 Plus: http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/models.php with valve front end. Then blind test against Dynaudio C1. Should be interesting  :wink:

shep

« Reply #85 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:15 pm »
It's been a long time since anyone has spoken of Devore  :cry:

joeriz

« Reply #86 on: 16 Jul 2010, 01:24 pm »
-- Anything by Audio by Van Alstine (particularly the Vision DAC/preamp)
-- JM Reynaud Bliss or Euterpe (if not too expensive for AA)

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
« Reply #87 on: 14 Aug 2010, 04:59 am »
How about the DIY HiFi Fusion Amp that is supposed to add current to a DHT for real world performance on mid efficency speakers.... :tempted:

daniel_ronquillo

« Reply #88 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:10 pm »
How about a comparison between a pair of passive speakers plus amp vs an active/powered pair in the $500-800 price range?

Daniel

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #89 on: 3 Sep 2010, 02:17 pm »
Antelope Zodiac DAC

Wyred4Sound DAC-2

Another person for these especially when I see outlets like Six Moons make comments like these:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope/zodiac.html

For 2.500 pro-audio smackers, the Zodiac Plus offers features which in equivalent audiophile currency buy considerably less from established USB DAC leaders like Ayre and Wavelength.

While the Wyred4Sound DAC2  does meet the Antelope nearly head on,
it lacks its headphone sockets, oven-controlled clock, mono function, analog volume control, word-clock and analog inputs.

Besides still not knowing what an "oven controlled clock" is, the intrigue comes down to: How close in terms of performance does the W4 DAC-2 really get? Some of those features I don't think I personally need.

It retaliates however with remote control and a $1.000 savings. Where Wyred's 24/192 USB interface and firmware were outsourced, Antelope's was developed in-house. Ditto for their 64-bit clock-control algorithms.

Fair enough on that.

And then Zodiac Gold goes to $3500 for the likes of these:
What turns a Plus into a Gold? "The standard Zodiac does up to 96Khz via optical and USB and 192Khz via S/PDIF. The Gold does up to 384Khz via USB and has a stepped attenuator with gold relays and a cool remote control. BurrBrown's 1792-A chip is applied across all three models and the Gold's circuitry differs from the Plus primarily in the analogue domain." To source software that was actually recorded at 384kHz and is made available to consumers at that data density seems quite futuristic still but remote control and purist attenuation certainly do cater to audiophiles.

And that's yet a different level of intrigue.

I don't mean this in a pointed way towards any person, product, company, etc. but I try to find the sweet spot for performance and value and I'm a bit leery when I see a lot of market-ese and such.

So how close does something like a W4 DAC-2 or even a PerfectWave Dac get to the likes of at least the Zodiac Plus?

The W4 DAC2 is the newest Sabre chip, the Perfectwave is the Wolfson 8741 if I recall correctly, and the Zodiacs all use Burr Brown 1792s for whatever that's worth.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #90 on: 3 Sep 2010, 03:57 pm »
Foolow ups would be great. With user comments on reliability and sonics, would be quite helpfull. Also rating the Manf and dealer network.
  The gear may sound great but not last. customer service is quite important as well. not all are equal and the decision to purchase may rely on the Manf. and service if needed.

charles

denjo

« Reply #91 on: 3 Sep 2010, 08:22 pm »
Dayen products, especially the Ampino amplifier. Little known company from Serbia. Prices are very affordable and owner is very prompt with replies. He writes perfect English!

Gopher

« Reply #92 on: 7 Oct 2010, 04:34 am »
I want to read some reviews of Jasmine Audio's offerings.  I came across one of their products by word of mouth recommendation and it is so good I'm exploring (trying) their integrated line---but there is NOTHING out there. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #93 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:49 am »
Dayen products, especially the Ampino amplifier.

I love my Ampino but I've been thinking about moving up the Dayens line to have more power.  The question is do the bigger have the same finesse as the Ampino?  I don't want to risk taking a step backwards, even if it's just a small one.