Products YOU want reviewed! (2010)

prokennex

Re: Products YOU want reviewed! (2010)
« Reply #60 on: 7 May 2010, 10:44 pm »
How about Decware's new Dac or the Dodd battery amp.

drphoto

« Reply #61 on: 24 May 2010, 04:26 pm »
Budget turntables please, Rega P2, Sota Comet, etc.

thanks

bombadil111

• Hawthorne Audio, MiniWatt N3, Music Hall DAC 25.3
« Reply #62 on: 28 May 2010, 10:59 pm »
First you have to review the speakers I own:  Hawthorne Audio Silve Iris 15" coax,  then my amp; the MiniWatt N3.  And tell how good they are . . . I want a warm fuzzy  :lol:

Seriously.  I like to read about all this cheap stuff that makes a difference.  After building my Hawthornes (about $400 total) and acquiring the MiniWatt, I'm on a cheap and cheerful crusade!  This stuff sounds good.  I mean really good.

So:  Cheap speakers, amps, DACs, cd players, and YES . . . cables  :green: Keep it coming. 

One thing tho;  some of the stuff reviewed in AA is not really all that cheap.  Or maybe I'm just that poor!   :thumb:

Really tho, would like to see something from Hawthorne in the pages of AA.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #63 on: 28 May 2010, 11:05 pm »
With all the push to get tubes into ss systems, how about a Hagerman Technology Clarinet.

roscoeiii

« Reply #64 on: 28 May 2010, 11:10 pm »
Emotiva's upcoming DAC. Discrete output stage at a ridiculous price.

HRT Streamer's line of DACs.

jhm731

« Reply #65 on: 28 May 2010, 11:13 pm »
Antelope Zodiac DAC

A.R.T. – Legato SPDIF Converter

Wyred4Sound DAC-2

acresm22

« Reply #66 on: 28 May 2010, 11:50 pm »
One of the Music Reference SES amplifers...any one. It could be the 2.5 watt em7, and 5 watt em7, the 45 SET.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #67 on: 29 May 2010, 01:04 am »
Maybe a lifestyle piece, "diy's and the cables they love, (to make)", and in a seperate box a double-blind test between popular diy cables vs. 2 or 3 off the shelf models. Some IC's, some PC's, etc.

Ya! That's the ticket!!!

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #68 on: 2 Jun 2010, 05:24 pm »
Antelope Zodiac DAC

A.R.T. – Legato SPDIF Converter

Wyred4Sound DAC-2

This!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 2 Jun 2010, 05:27 pm »
GR Research Super V's.   :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #70 on: 2 Jun 2010, 06:22 pm »
Geddes Abbey's
GR Research Super V(open baffle coaxial with dipole servo sub)
Virtue audio amps

+1 w/ Virtue One.2 & battery power supply top choice, Super V's 2nd & Abbey's 3rd.   :green:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #71 on: 2 Jun 2010, 07:10 pm »
If you decide to do a cable review as some have mentioned, I would be interested in offering a pair of our Clarity Labs Harvest II interconnects. (if they meet the Affordable$$Audio price point)
 Could you provide a little information on how you conduct cable reviews or comparisons.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #72 on: 2 Jun 2010, 07:32 pm »
A delightful little 300 dollar and change pre amp featured in Duke's setup at LSAF. the Lighter Note from www:buildanamp.com.

bummrush

« Reply #73 on: 2 Jun 2010, 08:18 pm »
Legacy speakers

tawaundabomb

« Reply #74 on: 5 Jun 2010, 04:18 am »
  Electronics:
 MiniWatt N3
 Teconaudio i34
 Virtue Piano
 (upcoming) Glow amp
 Musical Paradise EL156
 Decware Mini Tori
 Vaughn audio Carina
 Dignity 300b mono's
 MHZS 88G

Speakers:

Omega Stix
GR Research N3&O-3
Renaissance Audio MLP-403.5&MLP-503.5
Swan D2.1SE Custom
Tekton Design 4.5 OB&88T
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1&Opus2 standmouts
Xindak FS-1(speaker cables)
SVS STS-02 & SCS-02
Devore 3XL
Panda single driver speakers
HornShoppe 3
Brines Audio
Hsu hb1mk2
Zu Soul
Indina speaker line

Delacroix

« Reply #75 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:15 pm »
If you decide to do a cable review as some have mentioned, I would be interested in offering a pair of our Clarity Labs Harvest II interconnects. (if they meet the Affordable$$Audio price point)
 Could you provide a little information on how you conduct cable reviews or comparisons.

Hi Bill, I've reviewed Morrow and Huffman cables in the last year for AA so you can get a general sense of how one of us handles the process by checking the Dec 09 and April 10 issues (off top of my head).  In a nutshell, I put the cables in, listen over an extended period of weeks, comparing them to my reference and taking notes as I go.  I use a variety of recordings but always include a set of consistent reference tunes that I know very well. I take the review cables out at the end of this period and put my reference back in to clarify the comparison. I also like to introduce a new recording that I first become familiar with on the review cable and use that when I switch back as another form of comparison. If I have a complete set of cables I introduce them in order from source to speaker too, time permitting. It's really down to listening, listening and more  listening. And if someone who knows my rig well (like my wife) comments that they hear something has changed, I try to get their impressions too. I've pushed this note on to the editor so I hope we can accommodate your offer.

Best

Patrick

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #76 on: 3 Jul 2010, 07:08 am »
How about some REALLY AFFORDABLE for even non enthusiast stuff that makes a ton of difference in your sound:

Infinity Primus P162

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/infinity_primus_p162/

For as low as $86/ea.

and the Behringer B2031P

Here's measurements from the Behringer B2031P:
polar plot in 11.25 degree steps:

all 9 impulse plots corresponding to the above graph:

The ripple at nearly 4ms is the floor bounce.  Gate was set to keep that out of the response.  Near field on axis measurements w/o gating take the same shape.
and the average from 11.25 degrees to 90 degrees:

Dr. Geddes did some more detailed measurements of either this or the active version:
http://www.gedlee.com/Loudspeakers.htm
Run the preview data program if you use Internet Explorer(no other browser currently works) and check out the Behringer measurements.  He said they just beat out the Orions in a blind test.  If he compliments them, they are good.
You can get them for less that $160 per matched pair.  I got a pair from zzounds for $152 shipped asking them to beat a competitor's price. 

Dan

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #77 on: 3 Jul 2010, 11:10 am »
+1 on any of the Virtue Audio integrateds-TWO.2 would be excellent choice, affordable high end sound!!!!

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #78 on: 4 Jul 2010, 05:43 am »
Gotta say I'm shocked.  It seems no one wants to see really affordable genuine HiFi reviewed.  Is this the case?  Affordable and of little if any improvement does not mean good value.  I don't buy just to spend.  I buy for a real improvement.

Maybe we need to read the last 2 pages of this thread and the links contained within:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79787.60

Dan

Construct

« Reply #79 on: 4 Jul 2010, 01:55 pm »
I like to see things reviewed that simply get ignored by the high end mainstream.  That is:  they like to ignore the smaller speaker or component makers.  They used to go on some kind of exclusionary market penetration rule.  Kind of a snobbish thing to do, it's a global market and an internet market.  It's not always a bricks and mortar boutique.  In fact, these magazines have broken their own rules repeatedly when they review some cost-is-no-object product found in maybe 4 major cities.  I have a feeling that if they took the time to review some of the smaller companies, those companies would still be around.