Professional test equipment

Alyssasandiego

Professional test equipment
« on: 22 Jun 2023, 11:28 pm »
I am starting to get into electronics and also seeking some powerful speakers (used probably). I've read some posts about generating frequencies/measuring the same, but what are other ways to test speakers, locate electronic or acoustic flaws, etc, (beyond visual inspections)? I will procure an oscilloscope, I have various electrical meters, and tone generation is easy enough, but what else could I use, if anything? I realize that this is a fairly broad question, but any other input, whether it is general or specific, might help me to realize something I am missing at present. And if you have any test equipment that you are looking to sell, please send me your contact information or a link. Thank you for your input.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Professional test equipment
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2023, 11:55 pm »
I will move this topic to the Lab Circle.

For what do you want locate speakers faults?
Do you have a repair shop?

Do you want powerful speakers for what kind of use?
Commercial, pro-audio, action movies or home hi-fi music?

If your use are home hi-fi music you need only a pair of well trained ears to evaluate the speakers you will buy, preferably the loudspeakers should be listened in your room with your equips and your familiar music.

For a tech guidance on speakers see the manufacturer specs and the TS pars in case of raw speakers.

JohnR

Re: Professional test equipment
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2023, 07:56 am »
what are other ways to test speakers, locate electronic or acoustic flaws, etc, (beyond visual inspections)?

At a minimum you need a calibrated microphone, a soundcard (USB audio interface), and DATS. The soundcard can double for electronic measurements with some limitations on noise floor and distortion. Something from eg Focusrite would work, or if you have more budget, an RME Babyface Pro and an RME ADI-2 Pro. In either case don't get a single channel unit, get dual channel so you can do loopback. An EMM-6 from Cross Spectrum Labs would do for the mic, or if you have the budget, an Earthworks M30. An SPL meter is needed if you want your SPL measurements to be (approximately) calibrated. The Dayton Omnimic package may be an option to replace some of the above (don't use it personally). Note that actual professional equipment is a whole other level higher in price. I would prioritize the above over the oscilloscope, I have a 4ch DSO and hardly ever use it, however it does depend on what kind of work you are planning to do exactly.

Update: also you need a decent class AB amp.