Phono Cartridge Stylus shapes - what's your favorite ?

twitch54

Curious as to what the 'flavor of the day' is currently ? elliptical, line-contact, Shibata, Conical or something else ?

interesting article to ponder .......

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/audiophile-insights/analog-insights/phono-cartridge-stylus-shapes/

nature boy

Re: Phono Cartridge Stylus shapes - what's your favorite ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2023, 11:35 pm »
AT-OC9XML with a microlinear stylus sounds great in my set up.

NB

marc513

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2023, 11:53 pm »
Very interesting I learned a lot thanks for the link.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2023, 01:08 am »
I've retipped a Sumiko Blackbird and a Dynavector 20x2L with Micro Ridge styli.  In both cases the sound was noticeably improved in both detail and richness.   
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2023, 02:23 am by S Clark »

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2023, 02:00 am »
It's always a team sport with lots of variables besides the profile shape, but I've got two line contact styli that I love...favorite being a Nag JNP-500.

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2023, 07:14 pm »
I've retipped a Sumiko Blackbird and a Dynavector 20x2L with Micro Ridge styli.  In both cases the sound was noticeably improved in both detail and richness.

same profile here on my Benz Micro Gullwing

justjed

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2024, 10:32 pm »
I like the Fine Line stylus, as used by Ortofon. It's my understanding that the FL, while a true line contact stylus, is more closely related to a hyper-elliptical profile, and is less sensitive to set-up parameters like SRA, VTA, azimuth, etc. For a TT with no provision for adjusting the tonearm height, the less fussy nature of the Fine Line makes set-up considerably easier, in comparison to some of the more exotic profiles, Micro Line, Shibata, etc. Obviously, a better arm will give better performance, but for a vintage DD deck, the FL is good enough, in my opinion. I have the Ortofon 2M Bronze, and the Quintet Bronze, both with the nude Fine Line stylus. MAYBE too much cart for a pre-Mk2 SL-1800, but it works well enough for me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2024, 11:29 pm »
A paramount video for vinyl fans, Leif Johannsen Ortofon engineer explain the stylus shapes and how they work in an vinyl LP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPfCD92ZvM
CHAPTER OVERVIEW:
00:00 Introduction
04:42 Spherical stylus
09:27 Elliptical stylus
12:24 Nude Elliptical stylus
13:59 Fine Line Elliptical stylus
17:33 Shibata stylus
22:06 FG-70 stylus
23:16 Ortofon Replicant 100 stylus
25:57 Conclusion
In this final video, Leif Johannsen guides us through the fascinating world of styli—a delicate yet indispensable part of the cartridge that plays a crucial role in translating the microscopic waves extracted from the groove into captivating musical moments. Leif Johannsen's expertise and passion for the subject are poised to illuminate our understanding of the vast array of styli available on the market.

Leif will take us on a comprehensive exploration of seven distinct styli variations. From tipped to nude diamonds, he will delve into the intricate nuances of diamond shapes and contact areas, unveiling the advantages of each design.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2024, 11:42 pm »
Moving Magnet x Moving Coil
With Leif Johannsen Ortofon chief engineer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYTxqIHIHQ
Get down to the details as Leif Johannsen, Ortofon's Chief Officer Acoustics and Research, takes you through cartridge design in this four-part video series.

Chapter 1: How does a phono cartridge work?
In this video, Leif Johannsen introduces you to two main cartridge principles: Moving Magnet and Moving Coil. You will learn how the two systems work differently, how the music is conducted from the groove and travels true the cartridge, and how each principle benefits differently.

Both principles have advantages and open up different possibilities for the design of the cartridge, including the use of material, implementation of technologies, and the choice of styli. All this is discussed by Leif Johannsen in the following chapters.

CHAPTER OVERVIEW:
00:00 Introduction
00:50 Moving Magnet Cartridges
03:37 Moving Coil Cartridges
05:51 MM vs. MC - Comparing Parts
08:31 MM vs. MC - Performance
11:13 Conclusion