Smoked Bluefin belly

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
Smoked Bluefin belly
« on: 25 Jul 2020, 04:14 pm »
I was fortunate to catch a couple Bluefin Tuna recently and since I’m not a huge fan of the belly meat sashimi style (please don’t judge me...lol) I’ve decided to smoke it.  Does anyone have experience in smoking tuna belly or suggestions?  I’ll be using my Weber Smokey Mountain to do the smoking.

Thank you

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Smoked Bluefin belly
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2020, 07:54 pm »
I guess one could smoke it but that's like taking Prime Wagyu and turning it into Vienna Sausage! :lol:

rms

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2020, 09:00 pm »
I'd say use a low temp and mild smoke, either apple or pear wood, in moderation. A little smokey flavor will go a long way with tuna belly.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2020, 11:42 pm »
Why not make lox too? Once the lox is cured you can cold smoke a batch and see if you like it.
There are plenty of variations.

Tuna gravlax - unsmoked
https://www.thespruceeats.com/cured-tuna-tuna-gravlax-2217696

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2020, 12:32 am »
Thanks all!  Hopefully I think I’ll pit a little rub on them then like RMS said I’ll smoke low and slow with light apple smoke.  I’m also going to check out the methods to make lox, which is new to me.

And I understand what you’re saying Rob Davidson, i did eat my share when fresh but now that it’s frozen it’s time for something different. 

VinceT

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2020, 11:27 pm »
How did it turn out?

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2020, 11:45 pm »
Less just say VinceT that I learned something. I learned that the best use for the belly of the tuna (along with other filets) continues to be that I give it to friends right after I filet the fish. They appreciate it much more than I do and it’s a joy to give.

The belly that I smoked retained the fatty quality and was just kind of mushy.  It wasn’t a pleasurable eat.  I smoked it along side some non belly chunks and they were delicious so all was not lost.  Live and learn.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2020, 12:41 am »
Yeah, if it can't be eaten raw immediately I'd vacuum seal it and freeze it, that stuff is worth a fortune and good, fresh Tora sashimi is amazing.