Comparing the Omega line up

Capt. Z

Comparing the Omega line up
« on: 2 Sep 2009, 03:25 pm »
I only have heard the Omega XRS 3 with Hemp driver.

Was wondering if folks out there have heard different Omega speakers and are able to compare them, so we can see how they differ from each other.

gotspeakers

Re: Comparing the Omega line up
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2009, 04:35 pm »
I like the 5 and 6 inch drivers just a bit more than the 8s.  All are good.  The 8s just are not quite as smooth as the others...close, but not quite.  The 8s do have alot more bass, but if they are not set up correctly, the soundstage can be too low to the ground.  I have a set of Super 3s, a set of super 3 XRS, and some Max Hemp Alnicos.  All are available to compare and even purchase.  I need to sell 1 or 2 of the sets I have for space reasons.  Feel free to email me.  guitarsforstars@cox.net

Capt. Z

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2009, 06:19 pm »
Hi gotspeakers;

Since you have 3 of the Omega speakers, could you give a sonic description of each and give us a better picture how they compare sonically?

gotspeakers

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2009, 08:18 pm »
I think the overall sound is very similar.  The Super 3, and XRS sound almost the same with the XRS having more Bass.  The Max Hemps seem to be a tad brighter, with lots more bass.  The smaller ones image better, and I prefer them with a sub to the Maxs, but if left alone the range of the Maxs outweighs the other factors. 

All work equally well with low power.

They must be set up just right to get the full effect of the approach to reproduction.

Need any?

Capt. Z

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:29 pm »
I have the Omega XRS 3 upgraded to the Omega 5 level with the help of Louis, so maybe I could call them Omega 3/5.

My Hemp drivers have about 400 or 450 hours on by now and they really warmed up since the break in began.

At the moment I have the Omegas almost against the rear wall as you can see on the pic below. Actually they image better that way, then when pulled out by a foot or so. Bass is pretty good, even without my subwoofers. Mids have also nicely filled in since break in. The longer these speakers break in they better they sound. Sometimes I wonder how Louis can 'tune' his speakers to sound the way he likes it, when it takes so long for the drivers to break in and the drivers do change a lot in sound while breaking in. It's almost like the voice of a young child turning into a teenager and maybe even to an adult later on. Guess my Omegas sound like a 18 year old teenager at the time.

I really would not want the Omegas to be brighter, so the MaxHemps propably would be too bright for 'ME'.

Any idea how the Omega 6 compares to the 3 or 5 or 3/5?

gotspeakers

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:43 pm »
I used to have the same NAD cassette deck.  I wore it out back in the day.......

Capt. Z

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:47 pm »
Haven't used mine for the last 8 years.
Yeah, I really loved that tape deck also. Especially that Trim function on the deck, which is more or less a tone control.

gotspeakers

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:51 pm »
I used it for a playdeck, and a Tascam 103 to record.  I recorded thousands of Grateful Dead tapes.

gotspeakers

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:51 pm »
Let me know if you have anyone interested in Omegas.  Got some suck deals!!!!!!  Beter than the dealers get!!!!!

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2009, 12:16 am »
Hi Capt Z,

The Alnico 6.5 is the smoothest in the line.They have a great balance to them.

Thanks,
Louis

Capt. Z

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2009, 12:42 am »
I believe I read somewhere online here that the Omega 3 and 5 is the fastest driver of them all and has the best resolution.

gotspeakers

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2009, 01:41 pm »
I probably like the 6 best as well.  The 5 is super fast, and detailed...but the 6 is too with more bass....lots more.  5s and a sub kick some tush as well.

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:17 am »
Thanks and the 6 is the smooth operator.

Louis

Capt. Z

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:21 am »
Anybody want to trade their 6 for my 3/5?  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:24 am »
Hi Capt.Z,

You have the stands for them I see.

Maybe we can do a Trade in.

Thanks,
Louis

Capt. Z

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:31 am »
Hi Louis;

Thanks for the kind offer. I would love a trade (even used), but funds are limited. Not sure how much a trade in would be.

gotspeakers

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:51 pm »
Do it.  Do it.  make the trade......you'll be glad you did.  I'm sure Louis will hook you up.

Capt. Z

« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:54 pm »
Ha ha ha; Thanks for the encouragement. Will you help me with $$$ if I'm short on $$$?  :tempted: :tempted: :tempted: :tempted: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :beer: :beer:

Capt. Z

« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2009, 09:17 pm »
I just spoke to Louis O and I am very tempted in moving from the Omega 5 to the Omega 6.

So I guess the Omega 5 have to go up for sale, so I have a 'down payment' for the Omega 6.

Louis O

« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2009, 09:23 pm »
Hi Capt Z,

The store will have a lot of deals on many things as well. I hope to get it sorted out before the show.

thanks,
Louis