Installing Alinco Hemp drivers in my Revolutions - Silly question alert

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I received my Alinco Hemp drivers from Louis and I want to install them in my Revolutions this weekend. 

Silly question...is the larger terminal on the driver for the positive wire?

I don't see any markings on the driver and wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

George

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
I'm not sure I understand your question.  The spade connections are matched so it is impossible to make the hook up wrong.  There is a large and small spade plug in the speaker cabinet, and a matching large and small blade connector on the driver.

At least that's the way it worked on my MaxHemps.  Installing the alnico drivers was very straightforward.  If you're unsure, just note the connections on the old drivers when you remove them, and then duplicate that when you put the alnicos in.  But honestly, it is only possible to make the connections one way.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 11 May 2008, 12:23 am by jsaliga »

rajacat

• Washington State
 :idea: Give Louis a phone call. He could be in his shop this weekend.

-Roy

zybar

• Volunteer
I did talk with Louis and the larger terminal is positive.   :thumb:

The connections for the drivers in my Revolutions (which use the Visaton B200) are not the right size for the Alinco Hemp drivers, so I need to remove the old connections and attach the new ones that Louis provided.

I did mark which wire is positive and which is negative, so there are no issues there.

George

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
The connections for the drivers in my Revolutions (which use the Visaton B200) are not the right size for the Alinco Hemp drivers, so I need to remove the old connections and attach the new ones that Louis provided.
Ahh.  I did not know that.  Good thing you called Louis.

Glad you got it worked out.

--Jerome

zybar

• Volunteer
Below are a few pictures showing the old Planet 10 modified Visaton B200 and the new Alinco Hemp in my Revolutions.  I forgot to take a picture of the back of the drivers (sorry).

With the Alinco Hemp installed:

With the Planet 10 modified B200 installed:

Alinco Hemp on the left and the Planet 10 modified B200 on the right:

George

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Very nice!!

--Jerome

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
WELL ZYBAR??????   :scratch:

Inquiring minds ya know!

I sent my Superhemps off to Louis today for a retrofit (mine still had the older drivers that used a smaller opening). I have been reading jsaliga's wonderful reporting with the knowledge that soon, I too, shall have the mighty [insert booming Greek-god voice echo] ALNICO HEMPS!!  8) 8) 8)

I have a new amp--845 based--that I built with some special help, and it kicked the older hemp drivers into high gear (as in "wow"). So the possible leap in sound quality with the Alnico drivers has me waiting with baited breath.  :drool:

So close, yet so far away...

Cheers,
Gary

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
I was thinking the same thing Gary.  Tell us how they sound!

Dang, we're a demanding bunch.  :wink:

--Jerome

zybar

• Volunteer
WELL ZYBAR??????   :scratch:

Inquiring minds ya know!

I sent my Superhemps off to Louis today for a retrofit (mine still had the older drivers that used a smaller opening). I have been reading jsaliga's wonderful reporting with the knowledge that soon, I too, shall have the mighty [insert booming Greek-god voice echo] ALNICO HEMPS!!  8) 8) 8)

I have a new amp--845 based--that I built with some special help, and it kicked the older hemp drivers into high gear (as in "wow"). So the possible leap in sound quality with the Alnico drivers has me waiting with baited breath.  :drool:

So close, yet so far away...

Cheers,
Gary

The drivers only have a few hours on them, but I can definitely say that there is an immediate improvement in detail, depth, speed, and tonality over the B200's.  The bass also has more weight and provides a better foundation.  While the differences aren't jaw dropping difference, it sure as heck isn't a little incremental bump.  :wink:

Louis said I need to get a good 100 hours on the drivers before the fully open up.

If I time later, I am going to switch amps and take out the Bella Extreme 100's (running in triode mode) and insert a pair of Atma-Sphere M-60's.   :drool:
I have a feeling that the Alinco Hemp/Atma-Sphere combo might be something special.

George

Louis O

Hi George,

Great news and glad you were able to hook them up. Many thanks for the great pics too.  Looks like you have the only 3 tone speakers I’ve ever made.

Great to hear about the improvements over the B200. After a little while the sound gets more organic and balanced. The bass flow is much better.

Thanks again and the match with the M-60’s is what I’d like to hear about.

Thanks,
Louis

zybar

• Volunteer
Louis,

I agree that the black stands go very well with the two tone Revolutions.   :thumb:

I need to fill them with sand as well as get some cones or Sistrum platforms under them as well.

As for the Atma-Sphere M-60's and the Revolutions (w/ the new Alinco Hemp drivers)...they are a great match!!

It has been a long time since I owned a pair of M-60's and what I have heard these last few days reminds my of why I loved and owned these amps for quite a number of years. 

Female voices (from Tori Amos to Ella Fitzgerald to Corrine Baily Rae to Peggy) have a spooky realness to them that is seriously addictive.  Seductive and silky are all I can come up with right now, but I feel that those adjectives really don't do justice to what I am actually hearing.  Male voices from some of my favorite crooners (Harry Connick Jr, Sinatra, Sam Cooke, and Mel Torme) have the right tonality and chestiness to them.  A+ on vocals all around!!

The highs are crisp, clear, and extended, without a hint of edginess or grit.  I am not sure where the new Alinco Hemp driver starts to roll off, but it must be way up there.  I am finding that I am pulling out a lot of my jazz cd's that have some great sax work (Coltrane, Kirk, Davis) and finding that the music has the right mixture of bite and warmth.

The only area that I am finding myself a little wanting is in the bass area.  While the Revolutions are no slouch on this area, my other two channel speakers (Vandy 5A's and Emerald Physics CS2's) are exceptionally good in this area and truly full range.  I also think the M-60's don't have quite the punch of the Bella Extreme 100's (especially when the Bella's are run in Pentode mode).  Bass is tight and fast, with great texture, but is missing that true bottom octave that provides a super solid foundation for the music.  Of course, that's why Louis now has his Deep Hemp sub!   aa

Let me get some more hours on the Alinco Hemp drivers and spend some time trying to optimize things and I will try and report back in the coming weeks.

George

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
George,

Did I mention that you have great taste in music...   :thumb:

--Jerome

zybar

• Volunteer
George,

Did I mention that you have great taste in music...   :thumb:

--Jerome

Jerome,

Your posts in the other Alinco Hemp driver thread prompted me to either buy or listen to many of the artists listed above.  I must admit, I never owned any Peggy Lee music until I saw your posts...man was I missing an outstanding performer!!

Thanks again for your great music posts.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
Just a quick update...

The Atma-Sphere - Alinco Hemp Revolution combo continues to impress.   :thumb:

The bass extension seems to have picked up a half octave and the grainless midrange and highs seem to be even more extended and see through in their presentation.

I still haven't had time to really dial them in and the stands are still directly on the floor without being filled.

If anybody has the Alinco Hemp drivers in their Omega speakers, I can absolutely recommend driving them with Atma-Sphere amplification. 

George