Sub help please need a sub or two

2bigears

Sub help please need a sub or two
« on: 15 Mar 2010, 05:45 pm »
 :D is there a sub that equals REL505 that is a little easier on the wallet ???? need a fast very strong sub to stay with the two channel speakers....one big one or two smaller ones is the next question ????  thks for ant sub help...... :D

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Sub help please need a sub or two
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2010, 04:31 pm »
i am not familiar w/that particular model, but my experience w/an earlier model - the strata - left me extremely underwhelmed, especially for the price. 

regardless of which model you choose, i absolutely unequivocally recommend you get two; the benefits outweigh a single sub in every parameter - higher spl/less distortion; easier to integrate into your room due to spreading out standing waves; and better soundstaging.

i also strongly recommend going active, as your main speakers' performance will be significantly improved in almost all cases, (as well as their amps), by not seeing those lowest frequencies.  even if you go w/active subs, you can still use an outboard x-over, by simply setting the sub's built-in x-overs at their highest setting; and then having your active x-over at 40-80hz, depending on monitors...  a good outboard x-over's electronics will almost certainly be more transparent than what's built into a sub, as well...

doug s.

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2010, 04:45 pm »
You could build your own and easily outperform the REL.  Personally, I think REL charges way too much, as the performance doesn't equal the price.  That's just my opinion, and YMMV, but something like the Seaton Submersive destroys anything REL makes.  Again, just my experience.  Check it out (its a dual opposed that uses two 15 drivers in a sealed configuration). 

Other companies to check out are:

Rythmik
JL Audio
SVSound
Epik
HSU

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:20 pm »
don't forget vmps...   8)

doug s.

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2010, 12:03 am »
Nuance makes an excellent point. You can build a awesome sub yourself. For a grand you can build a sub that will make your living room walls pulsate. It has to be experienced to understand.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2010, 12:39 am »
 :D  thks all,glad i got a hand.been doing soom reading and i will do two or three subs for sure.this wiil be to compliment Maggie 3.6's,2 ch music only.is two real good ones just as good as three lessers.Duke sells four for 1700.most pre builts are 1000.00 each.so 3 grand for factory active subs.never heard of Seaton,sounds like Vandersteen style.will look those up.keep ideas rollin' in as i am not in the know like you guys.......thks  Pat  :D

Danberg

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2010, 02:35 am »
I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ for sale, if interested. Purchased new speakers and no longer needed.  PM me if interested.   

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2010, 02:59 am »
 :D Danberg,thks for the offer but i need two or three units.those JL subs look very sweet.you can get a couple F-113's on the Gon for round-bout 3500 for two,kinda big bucks but it might do the trick as those have good reveiws for sure.on the flip side for a grand you can build a couple twin woofer servo open baffle subs,these too just might get-r-done.or,for two grand you can buy three sealed GR sealed servo subs boxed and ready to go from Rythmik,,,,don't forget Duke's swarm2 for 1700,4 box system ready to go,,,,the paradox of choice pisses me off every time... :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2010, 04:13 am »
:D Danberg,thks for the offer but i need two or three units.those JL subs look very sweet.you can get a couple F-113's on the Gon for round-bout 3500 for two,kinda big bucks but it might do the trick as those have good reveiws for sure.on the flip side for a grand you can build a couple twin woofer servo open baffle subs,these too just might get-r-done.or,for two grand you can buy three sealed GR sealed servo subs boxed and ready to go from Rythmik,,,,don't forget Duke's swarm2 for 1700,4 box system ready to go,,,,the paradox of choice pisses me off every time... :D
you should really check out vmps subs.  even at their retail prices, they are a good deal, imo.  and, dealers typically will quote you better deals.  (john casler, a dealer, is active on the a/c forums, as is bolder cables.  i got my older-style larger subs from lucius morris of dynamic sounds, back in the mid-90's.)  at used prices, they're an even better deal, if you can find a matched pair.   8)  two vss, larger subs, original (215) subs, or even dedicated subs will give excellent performance.  the dedicated subs, retailing at $529 w/megawoofer are sized/priced such that you could even consider getting four. or, if you are into diy, you could get four 215 subs for even less...

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/subwoofers.htm
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/ordering.htm

doug s.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2010, 04:31 am »
 :D thks Doug,i really would like to stay with driven subs.... :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2010, 04:43 am »
:D thks Doug,i really would like to stay with driven subs.... :D
the vss has built-in amp, and it's my understanding that it's optional on their other models.  but, it's been my experience that you will get better results if you actively cross over even powered subs w/an outboard x-over; this usually means much better (ie: more transparent) electronics, and crossing over your maggies at 60-80hz will allow them to perform much better, w/o them or their amps having to see that last octave or so.  this benefit will far outweigh any possible loss of having your maggies run thru the crossover.  a good crossover will be completely transparent...

doug s.

drphoto

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2010, 04:44 am »
I'd hate to get tagged w/ that 'fanboy' label  :) but there's the GR/Rythmik OB servos. I would think these would be a great fit w/ the Maggie 3.6. The whole setup is reasonably priced and you don't need build big, heavy and complicated enclosures.

If you're buying into to the multiple sub concept, the third one doesn't need to be (as far as I can tell, and maybe wrong) as high in quality. It's just helping smooth out room nodes, sort of playing in the background. I'm doing this w/ a Mirage BPS-150, which is pretty sucky as a stand alone. In it's role of supporting the Rythmiks, it works fine. Glad I didn't try to sell it.

Duke's Swarm deal looks nice. I've not heard it, but I think he's really onto something.

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:50 am »
 :D buying from Danny ,kit cost for two dual servo subs in open baffle with smaller amps is the least cost by far.....in the W frame  looks very easy to build . head is hurting now!!!!!!! :D