DO YOU LIKE THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN?

John Casler

Re: DO YOU LIKE THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN?
« Reply #80 on: 10 Jun 2010, 04:58 pm »
Hey John

I don't have any basis on which to agree or disagree with you here. I feel a bit like I've been painted like some kind of Yoga fanatic, when in fact that was only one of several things I mentioned - regardless, I do think that Yoga has other benefits too, and that there does seem to be a tendency for you, Bob, etc to evaluate it only in your own terms about muscle this and that. It's fine anyway, I'm not trying to sell you anything or make you do it :)

Hi John,

I agree and was certainly not painting you in any way.

I am "pro-exercise" whatever it is as long as it provides a benefit for the time invested.

My purpose of this thread was simply to instill some awarness to the more physical side of life.

Health, Fitness, and Longevity are three very significant physical elements to a person that relate to quality of life.

Your use of Yoga (or any exercise system) contributes to that. 

One might view the different types of exercise (yoga, cardio, strength training, etc) as having differing contributions to the physical needs to the above physical goals.  An exercise menu as it were.

NONE of them contribute the same to all of the needs, so an "exercise diet" to supply the needed stimuli and elements will yield the better result.

I'd agree entirely. It's so easy to get caught up in "career" and so on that basic things like taking care of your health take second place. It's never too late to start, but starting now is a good idea.

Exactly.

As well many are now discussing the nutritional areas.  This has an equal importance to activity, and to a large degree much of the same complexity.

Without a degree in BioChem,Physiology, Endocrinology and some of the other sciences it is difficult for most to really know what is what.

I generally am a optimistic skeptic to most unsupported or loosly supported suggestions.

Problem is, very few get it ALL wrong, and almost ALL have some basis of credibility.  The idea is to oust the chaff and keep the accurate and qualified substance.

John Casler

« Reply #81 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:15 pm »
When you begin to feel vibrant and stunningly 'alive' it's the real deal. Anything short of that is in several increments not right for you (a 'fake' when viewed introspectively)

4-5 live portions of the right veggies and 2-3 of the right portions of live fruits (common to all the Genotype recommendations) is an amazing starting point.  This makes me feel light and good every moment.  Paying attention to the grains, red/poultry/fish, vegetable proteins, fats, condiments recommendations on the Genotype diet mostly (for me, anyhow) is a leap of faith and investment in future health. 

Once the 5 servings of the right live veggies and 3 servings of the right live fruits are met I feel superb...so I really cannot tell if the rest of the recommendations are working or not  :scratch: I merely accept that they do as D'Adamo got the first part right :wink:

One must be careful of that type of acceptance, unless it is unimportant, as it can sometimes lead to inclusion of "incorrect" elements.

That is why I question "EVERYTHING" 24/7. 

Your evidence based improvements simply tell you that you are "doing better" than you might have thought.

I generally support more natural elements to diet and exercise stresses, but lets face it, few of us grow our own foods, till the soil, and track, kill, and butcher our own game.

So to a degree most of our world is "un"natural and there lies the challenge.

As well, since we now have CONTROL to easily manipulate our world we can experiment with levels of activity, and nutrients that may be even MORE beneficial in some ways than what we might have experienced leading a simple self suffcient life.

Some subscribe to the idea that the perfect balance would living a life more similar to our predecessors, but I am not a subscriber. 

Experimenting with various levels and intakes of foods or supplements, or types of physical stressors might (an in some cases) seem to clearly show positive benefits.

The exercise component seems keen for me, too - I need the right balance (a sense of 'balance' is an enormous part of Teacher lifestyle I've found) between calming and energetic is right for me.  I benefit tremendously from both in different ways.

Mind you, I am a Type AB+ non-secretor 'Teacher' and have had mountainous health issues from the day I was born (severe allergies to milk and Roseola almost killed me very early in life). The list of 'ists - Internist, Endocrinologist, Dentist, Psychologist, etc - I've seen in my life is stunning when I reflect back on it.

While some of those "classifications" hit me as somewhat like Astrological Sign jargon, the bottom line is are you better off.  If so, they may not be harmful, as long as you don't make them a religion instead of a science.

The difference is fact versus faith. (although I admit the line can sometimes be debated)

I'm 47 now - tho not genetically gifted with Brad Pitt looks - I get pegged for 5-10 years younger, routinely.  I'm absolutely the quickest 47 yo out on the basketball court and I'm waking up happy every day. 

My 25th college reunion is this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see how I stack out versus 500 or so of my similarly aged colleagues. 

So, there's how I determine real from fake....if I feel better, or not.  And I now feel GREAT :wink:

John

Go John!

ctviggen

« Reply #82 on: 10 Jun 2010, 06:08 pm »
The problem occurs when you state that exercise (or anything else for that matter) increases lifespan.  The evidence on this is unconvincing.  Most of the evidence is epidemiological, which cannot prove causation.  That is, if there are people who exercise and who live longer than others who did not exercise, is it the exercise that caused the people to live longer, or is it these people's good health that allowed them to live longer (and exercise, too)?  It cannot be determined. 

I like to exercise and always have.  But I do it because it makes me feel and look better, not because I think it'll extend my life or make me lose weight. 

As for vegetarianism, the science is all over the map on this one.  There are plenty of studies indicating vegetarianism is not good for people.  If you want to read an excellent book on vegetarians, here's one for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myth-Food-Justice-Sustainability/dp/1604860804

Is she correct?  Who knows? 

John Casler

« Reply #83 on: 10 Jun 2010, 06:15 pm »
The problem occurs when you state that exercise (or anything else for that matter) increases lifespan.  The evidence on this is unconvincing.  Most of the evidence is epidemiological, which cannot prove causation.  That is, if there are people who exercise and who live longer than others who did not exercise, is it the exercise that caused the people to live longer, or is it these people's good health that allowed them to live longer (and exercise, too)?  It cannot be determined. 

I like to exercise and always have.  But I do it because it makes me feel and look better, not because I think it'll extend my life or make me lose weight. 

Bob you are very correct.

Most all efforts in the areas of nutrition and exercise are more to improve the "quality" of life, and resistance to disease.

So good nutrition and exercise will improve fitness and health.  This in itself may increase an individuals life span, but without knowing what that span would have been, it is impossible to prove.

Folsom

« Reply #84 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:40 am »
One must be careful of that type of acceptance, unless it is unimportant, as it can sometimes lead to inclusion of "incorrect" elements.

Your evidence based improvements simply tell you that you are "doing better" than you might have thought.

That shit is real easy to say for someone without a lot of health problems.

I know what it is like for Chairguy. I am not even a non-secreter and I am just turning the nightmare around. My path towards health is far from over. I am however much better off than I was, by far. These are things you just really can not understand; can not understand how valuable the information and changes are, unless you have been in our position. You need to understand for us that no amount of exercise would of ever fixed anything (trust me I tried, pretty much lost no weight in the process too, and I am still paying for it).

You know, lucky you for having good genetic expression. However as happy as I am for you, please do not try to push the identical formula for yourself on others because it will not always work and only breeds a hierarchy of genetics - like some are meant to be worthless and some thrive.

John Casler

« Reply #85 on: 11 Jun 2010, 03:14 pm »
That shit is real easy to say for someone without a lot of health problems.

I know what it is like for Chairguy. I am not even a non-secreter and I am just turning the nightmare around. My path towards health is far from over. I am however much better off than I was, by far. These are things you just really can not understand; can not understand how valuable the information and changes are, unless you have been in our position. You need to understand for us that no amount of exercise would of ever fixed anything (trust me I tried, pretty much lost no weight in the process too, and I am still paying for it).

You know, lucky you for having good genetic expression. However as happy as I am for you, please do not try to push the identical formula for yourself on others because it will not always work and only breeds a hierarchy of genetics - like some are meant to be worthless and some thrive.

Hi DOS,

I think you have misinterpreted what I have posted.

I am sorry to hear of your health issues, and have not offered that you should stop working on them.  Nor have I suggested that the solution to health and fitness goals is exercise.  You need to re-read my posts.

Questioning some less supportable assertions of the D'Adamo philosophy does not contradict the more stable elements of it.  In fact, questioning something provides the opportunity to "strengthen" it, by clarifying or providing support. 

In the quest for Health, Fitness and Longevity you have several very valuable "physical" elements:

1) Physical Activity and Biomechanically effective employment
2) Nutrition and Diet
3) Sleep/Rest
4) Proper Elimination of Waste Products

This does NOT take into account the additional area of Mental State which also is a large component.  All the above need to be considered for the best results.

Your emotive response shows an attachment to a system that will not allow you to consider the elements that may not be totally accurate or correct.  That can stand in your way to understanding what will help you with your problems.  In essense the better path is to realize that the works are by no means "dependant" on each other.

Finding fault with some of the parts of a program will not negate the elements that do function.

You should not have to accept something on faith, and just because it seems technically correct, science has progressed using this method (we used to think the world flat)  As well sometimes the obvious IS NOT really the total picture.

I might also suggest that you not take on the persecution complex of D'Adamo.  Unless you have a rather complete education in the fields of Genetics, Biochemistry, Hematology, and Physiology, you are simply being taught a "version" and interpretation.

Do you have a background in any or all of those areas?

In today's world we have HUGE "mistaken certainties".  That is things of which we are CERTAIN, but are mistaken.  The High Cholesterol causes CHD (coronary heart disease) might be a good example.  There is an element of truth to that, but in fact there are MANY elements that combine to cause the disease.

So I surely understand and encourage less rigidity to our thinking and exploration of as many things as it takes to grasp a bit more accurate awareness.  No doubt there are significant portions of D'Adamo's ideas that will lead to more understanding, but I simply don't accept the whole structure as it is.  And as I stated, that DOES NOT change the things within it that are accurate and correct. (don't throw out the baby with the bathwater)

Please know I am not picking on you, or D'Adamo.  I think his creative thinking has the potential to cause more collective thinking in some of the things he has suggested.  Very seldom can one man figure it all out.

Hope that clarifies.

Folsom

« Reply #86 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:51 pm »
I think D'Adamo has a lot more work to go, but I look at it like "we have progress up until this point." I question it and look at everything else but to this point everything else has been a joke that lacks explanations for most things. They are typically diets that work for people without real bad problems that just needed small changes.

I personally wish the books covered more information. I know a lot of people that are turned off by that. However what I can say is from a publisher stand point they prefer it and he has sold more than anyone else.

John Casler

« Reply #87 on: 11 Jun 2010, 07:09 pm »
I think D'Adamo has a lot more work to go, but I look at it like "we have progress up until this point." I question it and look at everything else but to this point everything else has been a joke that lacks explanations for most things. They are typically diets that work for people without real bad problems that just needed small changes.

I personally wish the books covered more information. I know a lot of people that are turned off by that. However what I can say is from a publisher stand point they prefer it and he has sold more than anyone else.

Yes, I am a fan of explanations and supporting information.

Nutrition is the PRIMARY fact of life.  After breathing and drinking, food and the nutrition it supplies, sustains life.

You cannot live without air for but a few minutes, water for a few days, and food just slightly longer.

However all three can also be poisons if ingested/inhaled in too large a quantity or in the case of food if the substrates are antagonistic to our individual DNA controlled requirements.

There will be MANY attempts by creative thinkers like D'Adamo, Sears (Barry), Atkins, and others that lead us to look at different aspects to consider.

While I also question medicine based solutions, I am not denigrating some of the very important discoveries and how they have improved our health and lives.

So if something needs a bit more examination, or scrutiny, it does not defile the portions that do provide benefits.  As I said before, questioning something simply gives us the opportunity to find a more definitave explanation to how or why.

Let me assure you, I have some VERY contrarian ideas on a lot of subjects in the area of Health, Fitness, Longevity, Aging, and Rehabilitation.  So I am no stranger to people asking questions.

In fact, I have contentiously engaged some of the worlds leading authorities on LBP (Low Back Pain) with some very interesting viewpoints on the TSM (Torso Stabilization Mechanism) which are not unlike some of D'Adamo's stuff (on the evolution side of disc mechanics and anatomy)

WGH

« Reply #88 on: 11 Jun 2010, 08:38 pm »

Let me assure you, I have some VERY contrarian ideas on a lot of subjects in the area of Health, Fitness, Longevity, Aging, and Rehabilitation.  So I am no stranger to people asking questions.

Speaking of contrarian ideas reminds me of the Ray Kurzweil virtual lecture at the Edges of Life Lecture Series in 2008, Ray was in physically in Boston but was seen virtually at the UofA Auditorium here in Tucson. His lecture was titled: The Singulaity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology and was very thought provoking. The presentations were taped so you can view 15 minutes of his lecture at the UofA website: http://cos.arizona.edu/lectures/default.htm and find links to videotape podcasts on the UA's iTunes public site. Unfortunately there were technical difficulties so the entire hour long lecture is not available.

Raymond Kurzweil is an inventor and futurist and predicts that in the future humans could have a practically unlimited lifespan.
http://www.kurzweilai.net/index.html?flash=2

Wayne

Quiet Earth

« Reply #89 on: 11 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »
Is this thread for real?  :scratch:

« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2010, 11:55 pm by Quiet Earth »

WGH

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:26 am »
No, but it is entertaining.

mjosef

« Reply #91 on: 12 Jun 2010, 05:19 am »
As for vegetarianism, the science is all over the map on this one.  There are plenty of studies indicating vegetarianism is not good for people.  If you want to read an excellent book on vegetarians, here's one for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myth-Food-Justice-Sustainability/dp/1604860804

Is she correct?  Who knows? 

Methinks you choose a mediocre sample to illustrate whatever POV you maybe representing.
Just reading the "reviews" would show that.
Unfortunately just the word 'vegetarian' is often misunderstood...as is the concept, especially in the Occidental world. 

wushuliu

« Reply #92 on: 14 Jun 2010, 06:35 am »
dubya the majority of African Americans are Type O blood. You are likely a "gatherer" who is a meso-endomorph. You look like a football player but muscle look bigger with the extra padding of endodermic tissue.

They are prone to some heart problems. Going low glycemic, off wheat, and low on dairy with the exception of some whey based cheeses will help.

I could be wrong but that is the basis of what I would guess. You should exercise for sure.

Well I got the Genotype book and blood test kit, got the gf to help me w/ the measurement tests. Based on the physical measurements and blood type, I fall under The Hunter. Didn't realize my legs were longer than my torso. Thought it was vice versa actually because of my thick frame. So I will have to check  out the appropriate diet for that type. Should be interesting.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #93 on: 14 Jun 2010, 08:37 am »
Much as I embrace the healthful aspects of view presented here, I also realize that I'd be dead right now were it not for modern science.  And, I might note, so would my wife and daughter (bad complications during delivery).  My point is that both alternative medicine and modern medicine are beneficial to us.

Folsom

« Reply #94 on: 15 Jun 2010, 01:46 am »
Well I got the Genotype book and blood test kit, got the gf to help me w/ the measurement tests. Based on the physical measurements and blood type, I fall under The Hunter. Didn't realize my legs were longer than my torso. Thought it was vice versa actually because of my thick frame. So I will have to check  out the appropriate diet for that type. Should be interesting.

Thick frame? People have had a lot of confusion on measuring before by the way.

wushuliu

« Reply #95 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:13 am »
Thick frame? People have had a lot of confusion on measuring before by the way.

I've watched the videos posted on the measurements. Even allowing an inch or so of fudge, the results amount to the same.

Folsom

« Reply #96 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:33 am »
Well if you are Blood Type O all three possible diets will still make you MUCH healthier.

John Casler

« Reply #97 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:49 pm »
I had mentioned earlier that much of what we have posted in this thread is in an effort to "understand" ourselves and take controlling steps to make what we consider is an improvement in out "quality of life" via medicine, nutrition, and physical stimuli (exercise and activities).

I also mentioned something I called "mistaken certainties".  Those are things of which we are certain, but we are mistaken

What we think we know at a certain time is called our "awareness".  That is EVERYTHING of which we are aware (and can recall) up to that very moment.

As it turns out many of us make decisions of what we "beleieve" because of our brain chemistry.  Well "IF" you beleive what is purported in this video (which could be mistaken) then it appears that your dopamine levels may alter you acceptance of certain levels of cognicense.

I find this very interesting, and while it may not be totally relevant the final minutes of this video are worth watching it for.

It is about our abilitity or tendency to "deceive" ourselves and beleive it, but it is also about our ability to know or perceive things.

The Chimp thing at the end is also pretty funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_shermer_the_pattern_behind_self_deception.html

While this is not the old "objective versus subjective" analysis, it may allow us to be a bit more aware of how the process works, and why we all might be a mixture of both.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #98 on: 19 Jun 2010, 01:59 am »
I didn't read this whole thread.  I"m 48 and in pretty good shape.  I eat well and  don't drink or smoke anymore.  I couldn't actually gain ten pounds to save my life.  My one problem is that I have an active job (I do remodeling) and progressively over the years it seems that muscles and tendons are getting tight.  I have tendinitis.  I had a calf muscle tear.  The backs of my legs are really tight.  I have "false" sciatica that is progressively getting worse.

Any solutions for this?  Drink WD 40? :D  Stretching and yoga?

Folsom

« Reply #99 on: 19 Jun 2010, 09:31 am »
Again "mistake certainties" can be easily cleared up by understanding genetics... there is no other way except of a long trail and error, never ending trail and error for that matter.

django look into the the D'Adamo information. I had micro tearing in my heal/calf tendon from stress a few times. You may have mal-absorption issues.

Stretching often does NOTHING if you body is not in a place to allow it to happen.