Upgrade SM 6.1 Drivers

Mandrake

Upgrade SM 6.1 Drivers
« on: 7 Oct 2003, 05:50 am »
I currently own the SM 6.1's.  Over time I have upgraded everything in my system except for my speakers.  I feel that they are limiting the capabilities of my system.  So I figured maybe I can change my speakers into 6.9's or 7.0's.  They appear to all use the same cabinet.  Does anyone have any insight or suggestions on this.  Im not sure how I would go about getting the proper crossover for the new drivers.  Any help would be great.

PJ

Upgrade SM 6.1 Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2003, 11:51 am »
I think the upgrading thing was a 'fad' a little while ago if I remember..

I think the 6.9's use the same volume cabinet, but the port has to be different, as it will be tuned differently.

The 7.0's are smaller.

Definately worth more investigation, but I would say it would be a lot of effort...not simply a matter of swapping drivers and crossover..

Mandrake

Upgrade SM 6.1 Drivers
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2003, 07:20 pm »
I didn't know about the whole tuning thing.  Is that because of the new drivers or the new crossover.  what if i just swapped the drivers?  It seems like it would still be an improvement although not ideal.  Forgive my stupidity I know a lot more about listening to speakers than building them.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Upgrade SM 6.1 Drivers
« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2003, 08:43 pm »
Each driver has different capabilities. So a different driver will usually require a different crossover and a different volume/port combination.

I'm sure mbarnes@norh.com will be happy to discuss that with you.  Just make sure your subject line indicates what the email is about - he told me he gets over 1k emails per day...

I suggest something like "Upgrade drivers in a  norh 6.1 cabinet?"

PJ

Upgrade SM 6.1 Drivers
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2003, 11:54 am »
It's unlikely just swapping the drivers would yield any improvement, it would most likely sound worse.

Mandrake

Upgrade SM 6.1 Drivers
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2003, 07:14 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input.  It looks like I'll be selling these to upgrade. If anyones interested my email address is waltersa@onid.orst.edu.

DeanSheen

ahh crap
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2004, 08:41 pm »
Here we go again.

I upgraded my 6.1 to 6.9.

My friend has 6.9's also.  Same port, same cabinet.

My 6.9's sound much better than the 6.1's IMO and thats why I upgraded.

(this has been a HD flashback)