Does your Slimdevices SB3 or Transporter freeze for a bit?

yooper

I'm running Slimserver 7.0 on a Mac and am hard wired.  My Transporter display will sometimes lock up when using the remote to browse my music. 

I would say this happens roughly 10-20% of the time when browsing.  Of course, sometimes I wonder if my button press registered so I press a couple more buttons, then after around a half a minute the series of button presses will hit the unit all at once.

I have searched the Slimdevice forum and see there has been discussion, but no good solution.

Anyone have a similar experience, or a fix?

Mark

Big Red Machine

Re: Does your Slimdevices SB3 or Transporter freeze for a bit?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:13 pm »
All my freeze up issues went away when I went wireless from PC to SB Mark.

avta

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:29 pm »
I run a Mac Mini G4 with a Squeezebox2 wireless. I notice slow downs in the SB responding to my remotes commands but it's not often. I don't actually get freeze ups if you mean that the display locks up. I use a Netgear Rangemax wireless router. I've been happy with it.

Philistine

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:38 pm »
Not sure if this will help or not - have you tried running the network test, as this will give feedback on the quality of your wired connection.  If nothing else it will eliminate this as a cause.

tanchiro58

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:49 pm »
I do not have any freezing problems between my Wireless router Buffalo and SB2 (wired) but I did have that problem with my Netgear router before. So the problem is maybe your wireless router since you use hard wire to connect to your SB3. Try different routers if it is possible.

avta

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:52 pm »
Also, check the router's web site for software updates.

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2008, 11:26 pm »
If you're using a mac, I'm assuming you're using iTunes to rip and store. If that's the case, make sure you tell slimserver to refresh it's database associated with your itunes library (the xml file) after adding to the iTunes library. I noticed that the more I added without a refresh, the worse the problem became.

dnewcomer

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2008, 11:49 pm »
my SB2 would lock up after playing an album. I could browse with the remote fine while album was playing, but if it finished. I would totally lock up, and would have to power down and back up to get it working again. It finally stopped locking up when I disabled the feature under Slimnetwork to SYNC?. I dont remember the exact feature name. My SB2 has some problem that prevents connecting to the Slimnetwork, as long as I dont try it doesnt lock up.

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:07 am »
I had dropouts and freezes quite often when I used the SB3 wirelessly. With a wired ethernet cable, things have been pretty stable. My son shares the pc with me and when he is downloading something large or playing a computer game, things can get a little unstable. Otherwise, no issues at all!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:27 am »
I have been converting 900+ cd's from FLAC to MP3 (via foobar2000) for my iPod the last two days and I still get flawless wireless playback on my Squeeze Box.   :D

NO dropouts or connectivity issues.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:44 am »
I've always been wireless.

If I haven't used the remote for a while....yeah, my SB 3 can get lethargic on occasion. Same thing with logging into Slimserver and/or controlling the SB 3 from Slimserver.

Dropouts are rare, and usually very brief, and the connection usually restores itself.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2008, 01:03 am by Daygloworange »

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2008, 03:32 pm »
I used to have this problem occassionally, but now I make a point to reboot my computer (a Mac) and my router once a week and the problem hasn't resurfaced...

(my setup is wireless)

yooper

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2008, 03:53 pm »
Lots of great suggestions, much appreciated.  :thumb: 

I tried all the suggestions given, now I'll spend some time with it tonight and see what happens.

I also set the Transporter up via wireless just to see what may happen.  Well, it now responds like my wifes SB3, which sometimes loses the connection all together and the display goes out for a minute or two.

I am using an airport extreme (n) router and have the network set up as WPA2.

When I installed Leopard, I didn't have to use the airport cd to load the software, as it was already part of leopard, so I don't think it's a software issue.    For kicks, I may even delete the airport app and do a fresh airport install if all else fails.

Mark

avta

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2008, 04:04 pm »
Check your signal strength by right clicking the signal-strength icon at the top of the screen and choose "open internet connection" You may have a weak signal.

PhilNYC

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2008, 04:08 pm »
Check your signal strength by right clicking the signal-strength icon at the top of the screen and choose "open internet connection" You may have a weak signal.

For those using wireless, another thing to try is to update the firmware in your wireless router.  At one point a few months ago, I did have huge problems with drop-outs with my Transporter...someone from SlimDevices suggested to me that I should try updating the firmware in the router, even though nothing had changed in my setup for a full year.  I tried it, and the problem was solved...